Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God on Trial
God on Trial
Just saw THIS for the first time.

Excellent and heart wrenching. Loved it.

Anyone else here offer a commentary on it?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
RE: God on Trial
I visited Auschwitz I an II 3 years ago and it left a great impression on me. If I had any doubts about a god existing that would be the clincher. No god would allow such suffering and cruelty. I visited a room in Auschwitz I, filled to the max with suitcases where everyone had to write with big letters their names and addresses so they could easily find them back after "processing". That was the moment the deaths stopped being a statistic for me. Here were the names of human beings, written in their own handwriting, that would not see the end of the day.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Quote:No god would allow such suffering and cruelty.

Why do people always assume that god is what we think is good?

Good for what?
(June 1, 2009 at 8:37 pm)g-mark Wrote:
Quote:No god would allow such suffering and cruelty.

Why do people always assume that god is what we think is good?

Good for what?

SOME people, notably believers in the Abrahamic faiths make some absurd assumptions about the essentially benign nature of their deity.None of them stand up to scrutiny either from reading their sacred books,nor from logical examination.

No other religion of which I can think have traditionally made such assumptions. Most religions have traditionally had a clear dichotomy between good and evil.Many religious rituals were based on maintaining that balance in favour of good. EG Ancient Egypt,China and Meso America.
There is no evidence that God exists that he is good.

In fact...if God does exist...my bet is that he's either evil, incredibly ignorant or insane, etc. Because of the crap he allows to go on - when he's more than capable of dealing with it - That is of course assuming he is all powerful...but I guess that's another assumption. I guess it's possible he could have created the universe and be the most powerful thing of all...but still have some limits of capability. How would that necessarily be impossible? Would he have to be omnipotent? I don't think so... - he'd just have to be the creator of the universe.

So like limited theism but not quite deism.... - just highly incompetent theism lol. That could be possible, I guess hehe.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Lord is not on Trial Here Today pineapplebunnybounce 4 1413 November 30, 2013 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: freedomfromforum
  God On Trial Cyberman 2 1145 April 25, 2012 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Intelligent Design on Trial Oldandeasilyconfused 4 1482 January 17, 2012 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy