Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lord is not on Trial Here Today
The Lord is not on Trial Here Today
So just finished watching this documentary and thought it's extremely relevant to atheism and also freedom of religion, especially in America recently, where politicians regularly bring up god and even go to war, ostensibly, in god's name. So thought I would share, since a lot of members here are, like me, not americans and may not have known about it.

link to documentary here:

Vashti McCollum basically went to court because her son's school was teaching voluntary religion classes and would put her son outside of the classroom because she did not want him to attend. He got bullied a lot, once even made to walk all the way home without shoes in the snow.

The case eventually shaped the understanding of the separation of church and state as we now know it.

During the case the family was persecuted so badly even their house cat was killed and left on their doorstep. I actually didn't know that US was that intolerant, and it wasn't even that long ago.
RE: The Lord is not on Trial Here Today
Well, saying the US is that intolerant implies it's everybody, which of course isn't true. But yeah...plenty of dickheads who, say, think keying a car with a Wiccan bumper sticker is 'doing the Lord's work'. That it shows up in schools isn't surprising, since children are often little channels of their parents' viewpoints.
The case was in the 1940's and yeah, back then xtian shitwits thought they were hot stuff.
(November 30, 2013 at 8:05 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Well, saying the US is that intolerant implies it's everybody, which of course isn't true. But yeah...plenty of dickheads who, say, think keying a car with a Wiccan bumper sticker is 'doing the Lord's work'. That it shows up in schools isn't surprising, since children are often little channels of their parents' viewpoints.

Well I meant back then. A huge majority of them were awful though, they were willing bully people for having different opinions. US today isn't that bad, people are used to others having different opinions all the time ... right?
(November 30, 2013 at 2:45 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: US today isn't that bad, people are used to others having different opinions all the time ... right?
Having differing opinions from several pastors has had me removed from several churches. Most American Christians are assholes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borowitz Today Minimalist 8 1736 December 2, 2017 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Post the songs you hate here. Yes, right here! brewer 265 25684 September 20, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  WH40k The Lord Inquisitor: Grey Knights Teaser Trailer Creed of Heresy 3 1161 January 20, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Ooooh dear, here's a letter to the editor in my newspaper today LarissaAnn 5 1082 August 23, 2014 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  ...the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow... Autumnlicious 0 1266 October 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  God On Trial Cyberman 2 1145 April 25, 2012 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Intelligent Design on Trial Oldandeasilyconfused 4 1475 January 17, 2012 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Ryan Dunn from Jackass died today at age 34 MilesTailsPrower 34 9977 June 24, 2011 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  I ordered mine today! Get yours now! Dotard 2 1290 January 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  God on Trial Dotard 4 2176 June 2, 2009 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet