Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is heaven?
What is heaven?
And why should anyone care to go?

The things that would make me happy in heaven are considered 'sins' here on earth. Is there sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll in heaven? Are these 'sins' OK in heaven? If not, why would anyone want to go?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: What is heaven?
Heaven is any place without blabbering xtians praising their absurd god.
the concept of eternety is dreadfull enought to scare me off.
In the view of the Bhagavatam, there are many planets with lots of different qualities of life in the material realm. There are many kinds of heaven, including places with much much better facilities for material enjoyment (ie sex, drugs, music). There are many levels of hell as well.

Our planet is kind of like lower-middle class in the spectrum. Not that great, not that bad. There's a range of possibilities here. Some people live in comfort and opulence and enjoy a decent life. Others suffer like crazy, with all the shades of grey in between.

One achieves a certain destination according to one's desire and one's karma. The Christian conception of eternal hell is quite strange and does not at all match with the conception of an all-merciful God.

Every destination in the material realm is temporary. That's the limitation. Everyone in the material world has to die eventually, although some beings can live a very very long time, far beyond human life.

We are not this body, we are eternal spirit souls. If we uncover our natural, eternal spiritual identity, we can live a life of eternity and unending bliss and knowledge in the spiritual realm.
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
So a Christian once told me about heaven. They said it was about fully bowing down in awe of God for eternity. I was not impressed.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Quote:We are not this body, we are eternal spirit souls. If we uncover our natural, eternal spiritual identity, we can live a life of eternity and unending bliss and knowledge in the spiritual realm.

I'll bet you have nothing to back that up.

Admit it. Some idiot sold you a line of shit.
(October 12, 2012 at 9:31 pm)Polaris Wrote: So a Christian once told me about heaven. They said it was about fully bowing down in awe of God for eternity. I was not impressed.
Forever and ever and ever and ever ...

That was basically the story I grew up with. So one wastes their life on earth as slave to god, just to earn the privilege of being a slave forever. Thinking

(October 12, 2012 at 9:24 pm)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: If we uncover our natural, eternal spiritual identity, we can live a life of eternity and unending bliss and knowledge in the spiritual realm.
Doing what?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Quote:When I die, I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever. I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it.
— H L Mencke
I only make an entry here because I want to quote Rev Sidney Smith who is a hero of mine-

'My idea of heaven is eating foie gras to the sound of trumpets. ...' Sydney Smith
(October 12, 2012 at 6:05 pm)IATIA Wrote: And why should anyone care to go?

The things that would make me happy in heaven are considered 'sins' here on earth. Is there sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll in heaven? Are these 'sins' OK in heaven? If not, why would anyone want to go?

Hell has none of that, and breakfast is not served there either.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Mandate of Heaven atheisthunt 22 3317 February 11, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
Thumbs Up Alzheimers in heaven. onlinebiker 73 8281 October 28, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2539 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Apparitions from heaven??? Jehanne 217 21421 November 4, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Hell and heaven purplepurpose 14 2766 August 23, 2016 at 9:21 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
Question Heaven seems awful 2 me-"Theist laughs at loudly & with great cruelty" fruyian 141 16749 May 18, 2016 at 4:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Eureka! Hubble Space TTelescope Finds Heaven Rhondazvous 56 10120 January 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Heaven would be good Amine 41 8309 December 12, 2015 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Where is heaven located? Also, why does God care about homo sapiens? MentalGiant 61 14671 September 19, 2015 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  So you want to go to heaven dyresand 42 7282 April 14, 2015 at 8:16 am
Last Post: dyresand