Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do you say to this?
what do you say to this?
When discussing Christianity with christians i evenutually hear "oh the old testament was took away when the christ came" i then recite passages that refute this and they just get mad! They Say i don't know enough or i should talk with a bible scholar,preacher, etc. They just stick their head in the sand or call me disrespectful. I try to explain that i am just saying what the bible says and haven't done anything but they just get more angry.

My question is what is some of your experiance with this and do you any advice about what to say to this?
RE: what do you say to this?
To be honest, there's not a lot you can say in that sort of situation. Whatever you do say is going to be dismissed because you obviously have never read the scripture, have allowed yourself to be deceived by Satan, or are lying for some other rarely specified reason. The variations are endless.

One thing that might be worth pointing out is that if they are so insistent that the OT no longer applies, then we can throw out the Genesis story, most of the commandments (apart from the ones JC could remember, plus the one he made up), all of the Deuteronomy and Leviticus crap about homosexuals and seafood etc. It's never going to be a foolproof strategy, because there are some persistent fools out there.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 10, 2013 at 4:23 pm)justin Wrote: When discussing Christianity with christians i evenutually hear "oh the old testament was took away when the christ came" i then recite passages that refute this and they just get mad! They Say i don't know enough or i should talk with a bible scholar,preacher, etc. They just stick their head in the sand or call me disrespectful. I try to explain that i am just saying what the bible says and haven't done anything but they just get more angry.

My question is what is some of your experiance with this and do you any advice about what to say to this?

Pointless to me because they always want it both ways and move the goal posts. I think it is far more important to point out magic babies and zombie gods and adults popping out of dirt, and talking snakes. You are still dealing with Dungeons and Dragons here. And the game manufacturer is called Hasbroken (Logic not included).
Just ask them why they are getting mad or say something like are you refusing to acknowledge a part of the Bible? Godwould not like that,lol.
My normal reaction would be me trying to hide a smile that then turns into a grin right before I start laughing. Then the more angry they look the more I laugh until they walk away or start laughing too. Works for me but I'm not sure I recommend it.
My first expirience with christian fundermentalists was on this forum, since they dont exist in Germany.

And I havent made that expirience yet.
Quote: i then recite passages that refute this and they just get mad!

It's about at that point that I tell them to GO BLOW JESUS OUT THEIR ASS.

May as well cut to the chase.
Re: what do you say to this?
You didn't tell us the magic passages Justin. Are we supposed to take your word for that?
This is what happens when I experience the preachers at school:

1) They preach to me.
2) I tell them I'm an atheist (sometimes I say I'm a Buddhist, simply because it sounds better to them than atheist).
3) If they don't go away, I then tell them I don't want to get my morality from a book where god kills a group of kids for ripping apart a group of children for making fun of a bald guy.
4) They accuse me of making that up.
5) I point out 2 Kings 2: 23-24
6) They try to babble some kind of semi-coherent answer, but generally leave me alone at that point
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I too would like to know this passage. Would be extremely useful if such a thing exists.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1164 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1436 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2339 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11367 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  New atheist here, gotta say, not loving it Rayden_Greywolf 166 23482 November 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2874 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Do as I say, not as I do thool 22 7194 May 29, 2017 at 4:59 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Is it fair to say? purplepurpose 53 6660 December 23, 2016 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Can I just say why I love you guys? Won2blv 13 2442 December 11, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  What Would You Say to God? Salacious B. Crumb 25 5118 May 9, 2015 at 10:29 am
Last Post: Iroscato