Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
what is god actually
what is god actually
the only thing remotely close to what god is suposedly, that exists or has the posibility of existing is: time, and time fits quite a few of the charachteristics god is explained as; all knowing, no begining no end, is everywhere, is all powerful, nobody understands etc.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

RE: what is god actually
Lol at the last one ^_^ But how is time all knowing, all powerful, and everywhere? Of course time is cyclic... most processes are Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
time itself is not cyclic nor linear, although we percieve it as linear, and many other things are cyclic, time is everywhere, and has always been everywhere therefore it knows everything

there is no end of time so for this purpose if the end of the human race was to be visited, time would be the record to which eberything would be engraved upon

and like god, since we dont understand it we visalize it in many different ways, like it being one way or cyclic or a line, but that is our minds need for tangability, we envision god as an old man, but if there was such a thing it would have no definite form, as does time

time in an abstract way is our creator, as there was enough of it for the right protiens to ooze from the prehistoric crust and combine to form an amino acid and subsequently life
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

Ah, i see which theory you are referring to here Smile Very interesting idea, you have Smile
(September 15, 2009 at 9:26 pm)theblindferrengi Wrote: the only thing remotely close to what god is suposedly, that exists or has the posibility of existing is: time, and time fits quite a few of the charachteristics god is explained as; all knowing, no begining no end, is everywhere, is all powerful, nobody understands etc.
Most stupid fucking thing I've ever heard (and we have people who believe in God here). Time is not all-knowing, Big Bang theory states it had a beginning, you don't know it has no end (just because it ain't happened yet doesn't mean it won't), it's not everywhere (time is relative, and black hole theory states that time is non-existent on the event horizon of a black hole, it's not all powerful (seriously, wtf?).

It's true that nobody understands it, but that doesn't mean it is a God. We don't understand 99.99999999% of the universe. All you've shown is a deep misunderstanding of time yourself, so maybe a little research before you post garbage next time?
Saying time is an abstract creator is like saying a bed is our abstract creator because our parents fucked on one. Faulty logic.

Besides, everyone knows time did not exist before the big band, at least everyone who has at least a rudimentary understanding of the big bang.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Then how did the Big Bang come about? There would be no cycle... it would have had to have sprouted up from nothing... sounds a little like 'gods' no?
Sounds like faulty logic to me Wink
It doesn't have to sprout up from nothing, because beyond the Big Bang we just don't know but just because we don't know, doesn't mean it's god.

Soon enough, as far as the universe is concerned, the galaxies will be so far apart, there will be no evidence of the Big Bang. It's possible that whatever was before the Big Bang, we will never know because the evidence is no longer there for us to find. Of course, I certainly hope that's not the case.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Did i say it was a god? No, I say that the Big Bang must be cyclic if it is the origin. It would have HAD to sprout up from nothing if it is not part of a cyclic system, and our universe still be an original.

What is a more plausible version of the Big Bang than: infinitesimally small particle from nothing exploding into the universe?

There are many more logical ways to envision the Big Bang in a cyclic version. Perhaps it would do us all well to remember that energy can neither be created, nor destroyed: only transfered in form can it be.

Some physicists would like to make an exception to this rule for the Big Bang... however: If a rule has exceptions, then it disbecomes a rule. Either the Big Bang is misunderstood (As I think likely), or ours is not an original universe.
oy,
first of all, i am NOT saying time is god, i am saying that time shares many of the features god supposedly has, it is an interesting coincidence, and perhaps god is based on time, i probably should have named this thread better than i did.

the big bang theory only states that the universe as we know it started with a phase of infinite density and temerature, this phase itself is reffered to as the big bang, at a finite time in the past (about 13.7± 0.12 billion years ago). this singularity is extrapolated by the point of wich general relativity breaks down; it never says anything about time starting there, that sounds like a semi-relegious interpretation, if anything it suggests time did not start there.
the planck epoch may have been the earliest period of time in our universe, but only because that extremly short period of infinite density and temperature would have broken down general relativity and so for that very short time(10^-43 seconds or one planck time unit) , time was not flowing{for lack of better term} but before, it the universe existed in a [most likely] diferent form, but still eleven dimentional [with diferent dimentions unfolded most likely] therefore time has always existed and always will exist. of course i cant be certain that this is true, but the theorys are not only the best mathematical model we currently have of our space-time continuum, but they very much make sense to me, so i go by them until somebody comes up with a better model.

by "time is all knowing" i mean, time is the benchmark to which we measure all, it is the medium to which all events exist, of course it is not sentient, so it has no knowlege, but without it, 'events' would not be, and we look back through it and pull from it all our knowlege[history], perhaps just a few moments we look back, perhaps several thousand years.

time is not uniformly everywhere no, however at least in our corner of the universe where only 4 of the 11 dimentions are uncurled, time flows{for lack of better term}, we can precieve it faster or slower, depending upon local gravity and/or speed, but it is still there, as for other regions of the universe that posibly dont have time, those cannot for logistacal purposes apply, not only because they are so far away, but if we ever had the tecnological capability, we could not go there because they probably would not be compatable to support beings from our region (if we could go there, it would be so different we most likely would not survive, or at least we would get stranded there).

the event horizon of a black hole is a boundary in space-time, not of space-time. it is simply the point of which light cannot escape the gravity of a black hole, and therefore (according to relativity) nothing else can because a sufficent escape velocity is unobtainable without exceding the speed of light, and that is imposible. because of relativity.
an object that approaches the horizon from the observers side will appear to slow down and not pass through the horizon, and its image will become ever more redshifted as time elapses. this is because the light reflected from the object(the objects image) will travel slower because of the massive gravitational forces. the object however, experiences no relativistic effects and passes through the event horizon in a finite amount of proper time.

nobody entirely understands time. nobody entirely (or even close) understands their chosen god image. that quality is mutual, that is all i stated.

as for time being all-powerful, if you are given 2 hours to convince the citizens of your state you should be their next leader, but your opponent is given 1 year, that extra time your opponent has is an extremely powerful tool, and your opponent will probably win because he or she had that power. time is all powerful because the more of it you have, the more you can accomplish, and that makes it very powerful. if one were to invent a drug that extended the life of whoever took it by a conciderable amount of time, they would rapidly become the wealthiest person in the world. that is powerful. time is powerful.

Quote:All you've shown is a deep misunderstanding of time yourself, so maybe a little research before you post garbage next time?

it appears it is you who has shown the deep understanding of time, and needs to do some research.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do you actually believe in God? Veritas_Vincit 162 18338 July 10, 2016 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 15594 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I am actually going to create my own religion ComradeMeow 21 5253 July 15, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Does fasting actually have health benefits? ReptilianPeon 26 5033 June 22, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I actually think the school board got this right Minimalist 3 1171 November 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19385 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Do religious beliefs actually have any significant bearing on moral decision making? pathos 61 24777 April 16, 2013 at 9:49 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  How many Christians actually ever even read the Bible? Xavier 18 8035 December 5, 2011 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist