Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does intelligent design explain why...
Does intelligent design explain why...
Sex gives you pleasure?

Or why eating is enjoyable?

These are 2 main factors in our survival and the continuation of the human race, are they accidentally pleasurable? Doesn't it point to a design made to encourage people to survive and breed?

Is there a scientific or evolutionary answer to why 2 essential parts of the human race's survival feel good?

Thanks for reading.
RE: Does intelligent design explain why...
I guess the answers are deep down in our subconscious .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
One of the problems with ID and why it can't be considered science is that it doesn't explain anything. ID also has no predictive power.
A simplified way to explain one of those "all scientifical like" - would be that all things beings equal...the couple who have the most sex has the most offspring. Anything that encourages the production of offspring serves the function of essentially zerging life. Whether you choose to conceive of such a thing as a design or just random this-or-that..it still serves the same purpose in the same way.

You'll have to be more specific about eating..different chemicals in different foods (and our own little chem factories) make us feel a bunch of things when we eat. Chemistry, blah blah blah. Again, designed or not..thats the way the chemicals in food and us interact. Eating food can also make you feel pain...and death - keep that in mind.

Sweet avatar pic Wallace........
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 31, 2014 at 8:21 am)Rhythm Wrote: A simplified way to explain one of those "all scientifical like" - would be that all things beings equal...the couple who have the most sex has the most offspring. Anything that encourages the production of offspring serves the function of essentially zerging life. Whether you choose to conceive of such a thing as a design or just random this-or-that..it still serves the same purpose in the same way.

You'll have to be more specific about eating..different chemicals in different foods (and our own little chem factories) make us feel a bunch of things when we eat. Chemistry, blah blah blah. Again, designed or not..thats the way the chemicals in food and us interact. Eating food can also make you feel pain...and death - keep that in mind.

Sweet avatar pic Wallace........

Good point regarding our food being designed to be enjoyable by us. I don't suppose tearing the bloody raw meat off a gazelle and eating its innards is TOO pleasurable for a lion, rather they just do so to survive.
(May 31, 2014 at 8:10 am)Unsure Wrote: Sex gives you pleasure?

Or why eating is enjoyable?

These are 2 main factors in our survival and the continuation of the human race, are they accidentally pleasurable? Doesn't it point to a design made to encourage people to survive and breed?

Is there a scientific or evolutionary answer to why 2 essential parts of the human race's survival feel good?

Thanks for reading.

Because if our more primitive ancestors didn't enjoy sex or eating, they would not have survived.

You are putting the cart before the horse.

It almost sounds like you presupposing a designer that, understands we need to eat and procreate to survive as a species, had this thought process, "So, I created all these creatures, and I created them with the need to eat and reproduce in order to survive as a species. But they aren't doing it enough. Oh, I know! I'll make them pleasurable!"

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(May 31, 2014 at 9:04 am)Unsure Wrote: Good point regarding our food being designed to be enjoyable by us. I don't suppose tearing the bloody raw meat off a gazelle and eating its innards is TOO pleasurable for a lion, rather they just do so to survive.

Everything you said is wrong.

There is no evidence of design. Evolution by natural selection explains why sex feels good, why food tastes good. And our ancestors ate raw meat before the taming of fire.

I've seen animals eat with what appears to be great pleasure and enjoyment.
Just because you don't think eating raw gazelle is appetizing, you can't conclude that a lion doesn't.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(May 31, 2014 at 8:21 am)Rhythm Wrote: Sweet avatar pic Wallace........

thx, yours too Big Grin
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
(May 31, 2014 at 9:50 am)Chas Wrote: Just because you don't think eating raw gazelle is appetizing, you can't conclude that a lion doesn't.

Exactly.

A more drastic example is rotting meat.

We think rotting meat smells bad. But in actuality, there are various molecules produced by rotting meat that don't smell bad or good until they are perceived by an organism.

We think they smell bad because rotting meat could kill us. So we evolved a survival mechanism to avoid rotting meat by detecting it as smelling bad.

But the exact same molecules that we detect as smelling bad, are detected by vultures or flies as smelling good, and necessary for their survival.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Bet the gazelle doesn't find it very appetizing..lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you're really a spektic then explain this: jasonstackhouse 142 5915 February 24, 2024 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2887 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1035 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  how do atheists explain nightmare Gano21 19 1355 January 2, 2022 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2865 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2566 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Intelligent Design Veritas 1021 155104 January 16, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Why Does Atheism Have to be False? crosssaves 66 13913 June 21, 2015 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  On Unbelief III. Deconstructing Arguments From Design Mudhammam 10 4018 December 24, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Exclamation Can someone explain this to me..? please... dyresand 3 1445 November 5, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: dyresand