Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Atheist Poet?
Favorite Atheist Poet?
I gotta say, Lucretius (first-century B.C.), whose "The Nature of Things" I just began reading, is mind-boggingly good and in many respects far ahead of his time!
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Favorite Atheist Poet?
Since english is not my native and I don't read a lot of english literature, I'll pick portuguese poet Fernando Pessoa, a true genius from the beginning of the 20th century, and an atheist unlike what most people thought, despite having doubts expressed in his poems
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Emily Dickinson. Sad, dark, and poignant. Her use of imagery is very haunting.
(August 3, 2014 at 1:55 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I gotta say, Lucretius (first-century B.C.), whose "The Nature of Things" I just began reading, is mind-boggingly good and in many respects far ahead of his time!

He's my favorite too. One of the best verses in the whole poem is "Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" (such evil could religion suggest) which refers to Agamennon sacrificing his daughter Iphigenia but which I think is a sadly recurring truth in human history.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(August 3, 2014 at 2:19 pm)oukoida Wrote:
(August 3, 2014 at 1:55 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I gotta say, Lucretius (first-century B.C.), whose "The Nature of Things" I just began reading, is mind-boggingly good and in many respects far ahead of his time!

He's my favorite too. One of the best verses in the whole poem is "Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" (such evil could religion suggest) which refers to Agamennon sacrificing his daughter Iphigenia but which I think is a sadly recurring truth in human history.

Yes! I believe that was in Book I. That was definitely one of the ones I highlighted.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Found these by A.A. Milne:

"The Old Testament is responsible for more atheism, agnosticism, disbelief—call it what you will—than any book ever written; it has emptied more churches than all the counter-attractions of cinema, motor bicycle and golf course"

And:
"Elizabeth Ann
Said to her Nan:
"Please will you tell me how God began?
Somebody must have made Him. So
Who could it be, 'cos I want to know?""

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  H.P Lovecraft is my favorite atheist Kinkimoro 12 1615 September 15, 2018 at 5:58 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4055 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Favorite Atheist? TrueChristian 6 1457 February 26, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Favorite Atheist books? TrueChristian 15 4135 December 31, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Favorite atheist personality? Chad32 56 11455 December 6, 2013 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  favorite atheist book undercoverclam 19 6883 June 14, 2013 at 11:36 am
Last Post: HAL9000
  Favorite Atheist Author Atheistfreethinker 16 3380 August 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Bandoman
Thumbs Up Favorite Neo-Atheist? Evilution 15 7414 May 23, 2011 at 9:50 am