Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natural explanations to former supernatural ideas
Natural explanations to former supernatural ideas
A common reasoning I have heard from atheists or secular type people for why they don't believe in god or the bible is, natural explanations to former supernatural explanations. I was talking to one guy that said, god use to explain thunder, lighting, rain, etc. But now we have natural explanations to such things. So I am looking for biblical examples of such ideas. Miraculous events excluded. I understand that Joshua asking god to make the sun stand still is more than likely not scientifically possible but it is not equal to lighting being the product of thor. The creation account is probably another one that will be brought up a lot so I'd prefer other examples if you know of any. Not discounting the creation account, I just have never believed that it was to be read as a literal 6 24 hour creative days. Thanks!
RE: Natural explanations to former supernatural ideas
I don't know if this is the kind of thing you mean, it's not exactly supernatural though so apologies if not.

God created all the different languages to confuse people after they worked together building the Tower of Babel. They were doing too well, and he didn't want them getting up to the heavens where he was. So he made them speak different languages so they could no longer cooperate.

As with all the bible, it's hard to know if anyone ever believed it or if it's an allegory. And as usual, it's God being a prick. Bonus points for that? Big Grin
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 17, 2015 at 2:01 am)robvalue Wrote: I don't know if this is the kind of thing you mean, it's not exactly supernatural though so apologies if not.

God created all the different languages to confuse people after they worked together building the Tower of Babel. They were doing too well, and he didn't want them getting up to the heavens where he was. So he made them speak different languages so they could no longer cooperate.

As with all the bible, it's hard to know if anyone ever believed it or if it's an allegory. And as usual, it's God being a prick. Bonus points for that? Big Grin

To drive that point even further god was afraid of humanity united they could achieve anything and even reach the heavens. He was afraid of 2 reasons.

reason 1. Humanity no longer needing god because united they are greater than the creator. 
This scared god because if they are united he is no longer needed.

reason 2. He simply want humanity to unite because come on this is the god who loves bloodshed. 

Again though none of this happened because the bible is not true. The bible is fiction; 
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Oh yeah, people at that time didn't understand mental illness so called it stuff like "demon possession" in the bible. We now have a far greater understanding and can help people with the symptoms without hiring a priest to do weird shit.

Sadly some people still believe in demon possession and the like.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(May 17, 2015 at 2:45 am)robvalue Wrote: Oh yeah, people at that time didn't understand mental illness so called it stuff like "demon possession" in the bible. We now have a far greater understanding and can help people with the symptoms without hiring a priest to do weird shit.

Sadly some people still believe in demon possession and the like.

What's even sadder some christers do not give their children mental health check ups if they have sever depression that is the truly sad thing
when it could have been avoided before it was too late. 

It's like oh gods love will heal your sadness. Truth is it wont it will make things worse they need meds and they need someone a doctor well a psychologist to talk to.

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I don't understand the question...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 17, 2015 at 1:56 am)nicanica123 Wrote: A common reasoning I have heard from atheists or secular type people for why they don't believe in god or the bible is, natural explanations to former supernatural explanations. I was talking to one guy that said, god use to explain thunder, lighting, rain, etc. But now we have natural explanations to such things. So I am looking for biblical examples of such ideas. Miraculous events excluded. I understand that Joshua asking god to make the sun stand still is more than likely not scientifically possible but it is not equal to lighting being the product of thor. The creation account is probably another one that will be brought up a lot so I'd prefer other examples if you know of any. Not discounting the creation account, I just have never believed that it was to be read as a literal 6 24 hour creative days. Thanks!

The whole bible itself is easily laughingly stupid its easily debunked even a 5th grader could see the inconsistencies.Truth is nothing in the bible is true.
jesus he more than likely and how i feel about never existed. Why do i say this for one the Romans during the time kept  a good record system jesus would
have if he existed would have shown up in the records or even someone where outside the bible but evidence of him existing doesn't exist. If jesus existed Mary wouldn't
have been a virgin she probably made up the whole thing to avoid getting killed said god impregnated me. All in all easily debunked.  

Code:
(May 17, 2015 at 2:59 am)Alex K Wrote: I don't understand the question...

They're asking for examples of supernatural explanations of natural events from the bible if I got it right
Like, maybe... Jesus "heals" people. This could sometimes be explained by the placebo effect, a rush of adrenaline that fools the person and those around long enough to think they are cured. It still goes on today sadly with things like "the Lightning process" for ME. Fucking con, it's disgusting.

And, err.... yeah. The sun standing still thing almost certainly just didn't happen. Like many other things in the bible, a story only.

Index of my best videos
Uncle Jesus got pissed off his brain, crawled behind a rock to sleep it off for like 3 days! (and apparently the rest is history)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Supernatural and Atheism Eclectic 322 26551 January 3, 2023 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  [Serious] For former Christians, what was it like to "know" Christ? GrandizerII 30 3876 March 14, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Just met a former Muslim on Facebook Brian37 6 2721 May 3, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4556 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6195 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Supernatural Evidence? Soldat Du Christ 266 27456 November 13, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Can't prove the supernatural God maestroanth 235 22155 June 4, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: SilverFrog
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5431 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Do Supernatural Horror Movies Scare You? PhilosophicalZebra 24 5180 July 10, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Evolution and natural selection ARE the gods of this world! Yoplait 45 7894 June 15, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: comet