Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 5, 2024, 3:17 pm

Poll: Is it rational to be rational?
This poll is closed.
Yes, rationality can rationally be shown to be an objective good.
21.05%
4 21.05%
Yes, by definition.
21.05%
4 21.05%
I'm not sure.
5.26%
1 5.26%
No, but obviously it is a damned good thing to be.
0%
0 0%
No, rationality has utility and has nothing to do with what we "should be".
21.05%
4 21.05%
Other, please explain.
0%
0 0%
None of the above.
0%
0 0%
I fucking hate polls.
31.58%
6 31.58%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it rational to maximize rationality?
Is it rational to maximize rationality?
I just dabble in rationality when it serves me.  Fortunately I have a strong desire to know the world on its own terms.  So I don't avoid rationality in order to maintain a fantasy alternative to the real world.

I often hear my fellow atheists justify a stance on the basis of its rationality.  That just strikes me as odd.  Rationality is a tool, it can't be a rationale.  I don't want to be rational, I just want to know as much about the world and myself as I can.

Gawd help me, I feel another poll coming on.  I wonder if I've used up my quota for the week.  Ahh well, wouldn't be my first warning. 

So to the question in the title, which of these best captures your response.

1)   Yes, rationality can rationally be shown to be an objective good.  Perhaps the highest, objectivemost good of all.

2)   Yes, by definition, you ____ .  [Choose one: "twit", "numbskull", "romanticist", "other" .. please elaborate.]

3)   I'm not sure.

4)   No, but obviously it is a damned good thing to be if you have any self respect at all.

5)   No, rationality has utility and comes into play naturally enough when needed.  What we "should be" doesn't enter into it, Mr Spock.  

6)   Other, for the truly picky - but you'd better damn well justify the need.

7)   None of the above.

8)   None of the above, not even this one.  I just hate fucking polls.
RE: Is it rational to maximize rationality?
Yes baby. The first one.

The more rational you are, the better decisions you make. It's not necessary to push this to the absolute extremes, and not everything demands or requires it. But as a general rule, striving for rationality will improve your life and your decisions, at least where important ones are concerned.

Again, I would have voted for all of them but fascism... Tongue
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I choose 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6("...but you'd better damn well justify the need." - What the fuck is that supposed to mean?*) and 8.
Rationally speaking, you only have two options here, really. 1(without the perhaps) and 7.
* Quoting Cato.

(July 7, 2015 at 3:37 pm)robvalue Wrote: Again, I would have voted for all of them but fascism... Tongue

How exactly is fascism rational?
Nah, it's a silly joke. I'm saying the poll is fascist because I'm limited to one choice Smile

My stupid sense of humour.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
By maximising rationality, I'm assuming you mean to always be as logical as possible. It seems to me that such an outlook would dull ones appreciation for artistic things like music due to its inherently visceral nature i.e. rarely invoking thought.

It may also cause an inability to suspend disbelief, and thus a lack of enjoyment for fiction ("that would never happen", "this is scientifically inaccurate", "why is she wearing makeup during a zombie apocalypse" etc.).

Also, while strict logicians and pragmatists are exceptionally suited to a lot of fields (programming, economics, law and avoiding harmful delusions to name a few), they tend to over-analyse or correct people in social situations.

Actually, having now listed a few possible drawbacks of total rationality, it seems evidently possible to identify and avoid these eventualities through the very same pragmatic mindset that led to them in the first place.

Argh, my poor little brain can't process vicious circles.

Maybe it would be worth splitting the word rationalism into more specific definitions: logical rationalism - whereby only the path of the pragmatist is taken (sounds slightly sociopathic to me), and pensive rationalism - whereby one imagines the implications of the manner in which they approach life
Quote:Again, I would have voted for all of them but fascism... Tongue
If you support the idea that the common good and the well being of the nation is superior and more important than individualism and narcissism then you can make the case for fascism being a rational political regime.

Whateverist, what do you even mean by rational? You can't ask if it's good to be rational because there's not a common agreement on what constitutes rational. Is it rational to support something inhumane but that has proven to be good in some sort of way? Is it rational to commit genocide if I have evidence it will benefit society? Heck, criminals rationalize their behavior - They see crime as a rational choice.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Tada! You can't avoid it Big Grin

You can't make good decisions about how rational to be, and when, without being rational Big Grin

It's one of those catcher in the rye 27 things.

Index of my best videos
The enraged podium grew pallid.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I'm relatively certain there isn't a yes or no answer; the mere nature of the question immediately makes you rationalise your thoughts on the matter, and it's rather difficult to stay objective about such things without removing yourself from them, as objectivity and rationalism are inherently intertwined with one another. It feels vaguely paradoxical, and a little bit like being rudely awoken and desperately trying to remember what Mila Kunis was doing to you while you were asleep - you know there's an answer in there somewhere, lost down the back of the proverbial sofa cushion.

I feel like if I try to think about this for too long, fetid grey matter is going to start dribbling out of my ears, so in conclusion, the only "rational" course left open is to succumb to madness and escape this vortex of logic.

There. As time increases, the likelihood of absolute logic giving rise to absolute chaos approaches infinity, which is why computers can't handle paradoxes and that it is rational to be irrational... sometimes.
Well, look, Panglosian, it's fairly easy to explain away all that bullshit about rationality not being good because it defies art. It simply depends on 1)why are people rational and  whether2) there are people who are more rational than others? And so, a religious person has his reasons to believe in God(e.g. not be sent to hell) and is therefore rational but can be less rational than the atheist who doesn't believe in God for lack of evidence(e.g. of hell). Which one is better?

And so it is with art. Why would one pursue literature or music? Because one feels good doing so. Therefore it is rational for him to do so. Does reading a book or listening to a song put somebody else in jeopardy? - that's the only question you have to ask yourself in this case. Rationality, is precisely that, a tool we use to dispense with bad courses of action and follow better ones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paschal's Wager re-formulated mathematically: why being Christian is Rational. Nishant Xavier 59 3487 August 6, 2023 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35509 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is it rational for, say, Muslims to not celebrate Christmas? Duty 26 2364 January 17, 2021 at 12:05 am
Last Post: xalvador88
  Q. About Rationality and Nature Mudhammam 21 4008 August 18, 2014 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Can Irrational people Be Persuaded with Rationality? Koolay 25 7401 July 7, 2013 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Atheists aren't always intelligent or reasonable or rational TaraJo 16 6613 December 15, 2012 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Formulating a rational defense of skepticism (a work in progress) Vincenzo Vinny G. 49 14581 September 4, 2012 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: JohnDG
  The only rational problem with Atheism xonage 64 16848 July 20, 2011 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Is God a rational belief? Whirling Moat 16 5915 May 11, 2011 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Whirling Moat
  [split] YOU! - rational/irrational discussion. Darwinian 35 17823 May 31, 2009 at 9:35 am
Last Post: g-mark