Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thought crime
Thought crime
I've been realizing more and more what a horrible person I am because of how much I enjoy to people watch and think really mean things about people D:
I don't stare at people in a creepy way and I'm really nice to them. I try not to even talk about them (except to maybe my older sister because she gets me). But I really love to see someone who looks like a train wreck. 250+ lbs in a spandex leopard print body suit, anyone with a mullet, pajamas in public, those really humongous jeans that could fit like 4 people in each leg. Anyone who could end up on "people of Walmart". These people are my greatest source of entertainment.

I think it's terrible to judge people, and even worse to make people feel bad for how they look.
I would never be mean to someone or make fun of them (out loud), but I think I would have no friends if people could hear the thoughts that bounce around in my head.

So, I guess I'm just wondering how horrible it is if you just think the horrible thoughts but you don't say them out loud...
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
RE: Thought crime
Yes, you're a bad, bad person! Consider yourself lucky that there's no God and you can think unpunished! Whew. Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

On the one hand, thinking thoughts doesn't hurt people. That's what baffles me about when the bible says you're committing murder just be hating someone, or adultery just by being sexually attracted to people who aren't your spouse.

On the other hand, the more you think negative thoughts, the more it paints your worldview. It could have a negative effect on you, and how you interact with your world.

I don't think you should be penalized for thinking thoughts, but you should minimize negativity whenever possible.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I'm the opposite, I have horrible words but unicorn thoughts. You're evil. Eww
Personally, I don't judge anyone for what they think. It's actions that matter. We're not consciously in control of what thoughts pop into our heads, or how we then feel about those thoughts. Trying to stop yourself even thinking certain things, in my experience, produces the opposite. I think it's best to accept the thoughts for what they are, and let them pass. If you happen to get some pleasure out of them, then no harm done.

If however a certain kind of thought continues to make someone uncomfortable, just for having it, it might indicate some sort of internal conflict that they could examine further.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 13, 2016 at 9:15 am)Losty Wrote: I've been realizing more and more what a horrible person I am because of how much I enjoy to people watch and think really mean things about people D:
I don't stare at people in a creepy way and I'm really nice to them. I try not to even talk about them (except to maybe my older sister because she gets me). But I really love to see someone who looks like a train wreck. 250+ lbs in a spandex leopard print body suit, anyone with a mullet, pajamas in public, those really humongous jeans that could fit like 4 people in each leg. Anyone who could end up on "people of Walmart". These people are my greatest source of entertainment.

I think it's terrible to judge people, and even worse to make people feel bad for how they look.
I would never be mean to someone or make fun of them (out loud), but I think I would have no friends if people could hear the thoughts that bounce around in my head.

So, I guess I'm just wondering how horrible it is if you just think the horrible thoughts but you don't say them out loud...

I am practically certain that *none of us* would have friends if we said out loud what's in our heads. 

(I mean... for me it would just be "boobs boobs boobs boobs boobs" on and on and on)
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Oh yeah. If I said out loud everything I thought, I'd probably be in prison right now.

I have fucked up, disgusting, depraved and brutally mean thoughts very regularly. I just don't take them seriously. They make me laugh, mostly. I know they're not "me", in any meaningful sense.

It's when you're having to stop yourself acting on thoughts that you're in trouble.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 13, 2016 at 9:15 am)Losty Wrote: I've been realizing more and more what a horrible person I am because of how much I enjoy to people watch and think really mean things about people D:

*Thinks to himself, "What a naughty, naughty bitch! A good spanking would do her wonders."*

No, I think you're ok so long as you don't verbalize your thoughts.
Wow.
This is incredible. I'm starting to realize how much of a nice person I am! I've never thought means things about others just like that. Mutual respect,brohood and all that. Damn!
It's normal. It's not a problem. The only problem would be making into a problem by thinking it is a problem and giving what isn't a problem too much attention -- then it could become an OCD thing and the only person it could harm is yourself.

I hope reading this will help:

http://www.socialworktoday.com/archive/070212p22.shtml

Sample from the article Wrote:[...]Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) is a type of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy that teaches clients to regard “internal private experiences” as normal rather than viewing them as problems that need to be fixed. Uncomfortable thoughts, feelings, images, urges, and sensations are all part of the human experience. If we view them as problems, they become problematic. ACT has various techniques to help clients use mindfulness to observe their thoughts rather attaching to and becoming overwhelmed by them.

Russ Harris, in The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living, discussed a skill called cognitive defusion, which helps an individual create room for intrusive thoughts. A client thinks, “I am a bad person.” To practice defusion, you would restate the thought: “I just had a thought that I am a bad person” or go a step further and say, “I just noticed I had a thought that I am a bad person.” This allows clients to occupy the same space with their thoughts but from a different vantage point. Instead of being crunched in a small closet with their thoughts, they are now in a gymnasium with them.[...]

My bolding Smile

I recommend reading the full article as it talks about Pure O OCD, and if you're not familiar with it already, knowing about Pure O may help Smile

Heart

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 806 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  [Serious] A thought experiment... Gawdzilla Sama 12 971 October 22, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A Thought On Oral Sex BrianSoddingBoru4 28 1682 September 22, 2018 at 12:26 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A thought on hummus, actually. Mr.Obvious 24 1016 September 19, 2018 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1146 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  A thought on Homosexuality Amarok 44 2812 September 19, 2018 at 1:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A thought on asexuality I_am_not_mafia 9 1083 September 18, 2018 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A thought on heterosexuality Foxaèr 6 846 September 18, 2018 at 10:41 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Guiding Thought for My Life: Think Your Own Thoughts Rhondazvous 3 1143 April 3, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  I'm sick of religious binary thought! ignoramus 23 4854 August 23, 2017 at 5:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus