Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two questions for theists.
Two questions for theists.
The following questions apply to both ex-atheists and theists who have always believed since they were a small child (and everything in-between of course). Here come the questions:

If you stopped believing in God, and no longer considered the existence of God at all likely or probable in any way,
(1) How do you think you would react emotionally?
and
( 2) How do you think it would impact and change your life overall?

Thanks in advance.
RE: Two questions for theists.
My nihilistic brand of atheism felt kind of like a romantic defiance, saying "Yes" to life despite it's ultimate futility. I embraced the absurdity of living as a personal existent bound on each side by the darkness of oblivion. Whatever. In reality I felt detachment from the world despite choosing to relish every moment, living intentionally. In the end, nothing mattered.
<insert profound quote here>
(May 11, 2018 at 2:24 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: My nihilistic brand of atheism felt kind of like a romantic defiance, saying "Yes" to life despite it's ultimate futility.

Sounds deliciously absurdist! LFC would be a fan!

Quote: I embraced the absurdity of living as a personal existent bound on each side by the darkness of oblivion.

Oh haha and that was before I read this next sentence (I read people's posts one point at a time and respond as I read). Absurdist indeed!

Quote: Whatever. In reality I felt detachment from the world despite choosing to relish every moment, living intentionally. In the end, nothing mattered.

So my question would be... do you think that if you went back to atheism would you return to the exact same sort of feeling for the exact same reasons or do you think that would it be even darker/more futile (or alternatively, a bit brighter and more positive) this time around?
(May 11, 2018 at 2:42 pm)Hammy Wrote: ... do you think that if you went back to atheism would you return to the exact same sort of feeling for the exact same reasons or  do you think that would it be even darker/more futile (or alternatively, a bit brighter and more positive) this time around?

It's an interesting hypothetical. Now that I have more years behind me than in front, my guess is that the feelings would be more acute. Apparently they have meds for that now :-) When philosophy fails, there's always Mary Jane. Otherwise I think dilemma is as old as Mankind. One need only read Ecclesiastics.
<insert profound quote here>
(May 11, 2018 at 1:46 pm)Hammy Wrote: The following questions apply to both ex-atheists and theists who have always believed since they were a small child (and everything in-between of course). Here come the questions:

If you stopped believing in God, and no longer considered the existence of God at all likely or probable in any way,
and

Thanks in advance.

1. I would be sad overall. Although a small part of me would feel some sense of relief from not feeling accountable to God, I would also miss the sense of peace that comes from knowing there is a loving God who is rooting for me. I wouldn't be angry at or blame anyone who is religious or who contributed to my religious upbringing, as some seem to. Why? Because true or not it was a positive influence in my life, and because they all believed and had nothing but the best of intentions.

2. I don't think it would change my life anymore, at this point. The values I took from my faith are very deeply ingrained into me and part of who I am as a person. So I would be the same person with the same moral compass and same values.

Thanks for the interesting questions.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
There's also the parallel reverse hypothetical for atheists like myself... "How would you feel if you became a theist?/went back to theism and how would the change to theism impact your life overall?" (atheists are welcome to answer this).

My own long ramblely answer to that one is under the following hide tag

(May 11, 2018 at 3:15 pm)Hammy Wrote: There's also the parallel reverse hypothetical for atheists like myself... "How would you feel if you became a theist?/went back to theism and how would the change to theism impact your life overall?" (atheists are welcome to answer this).

If I became a Christian again, the way it would affect me would depend on if I was 'regressing' back to how I was when I used to be a Christian - before I developed an interest in psychology and the brain - OR starting from my current mindset...

If I was regressing back to my old state, the main differences I think would be in my mindset: I'd be more hopeful, positive, and resilient than I am now as an atheist. Mainly because of the notion of God's Will and prayer; I'd have an extra person/being to talk to and that was very comforting when I was a Christian. Prayer provided hope and comfort regardless of the outcome because of God's Will. In a way, my current Clockwork Universe thinking is pretty similar in the sense that I can still hope and question 'what will be' but the difference is, prayer gives voice to those hopes/questions, and the expectation that those hopes/questions alone will affect what will be and even if the answer is not what you hoped for or expected, it can still be thought of as for the greater good... God's Will... which is all very comforting.

If on the other hand I was becoming a Christian in my current mindset, then a lot of the above would be impossible for me... prayer and everything else would all have to be approached very differently, given my views on psychology etc. I no longer think in terms of hope for the future in that sort of way... not usually anyway; for instance, I kind of fell off the wagon in that regard a bit yesterday; on a whim I decided to buy a scratchcard for old time's sake and quickly got into a state of hope that I would win. That sort of hopeful state is a nice feeling and almost worth preserving in its own right... in the sense of putting a scratchcard aside rather than ever actually scratching it... as a hope for the future. It's very easy to get into a state of hopeful expectation like that, but a nice feeling is all it is... a flight of fancy with no bearing on reality; the card has already been printed and no amount of internal case-building of why I could, should, or deserve to win has any bearing on those already printed numbers. And for the sake of this hypothetical... that I had become a Christian again... I would still find it very hard to reconcile God's Will with free will, or affecting a causal chain like the scratchcard; eg if it wins, it either won all along or it is changed in some way to win... if it is changed then if that change is isolated there will be no record of it in the system as it were (or generalised to no record of it in the causal chain)... but if there is a record of it, then the causal chain has to have been affected to some degree, and some way along the line that's going to cause conflicts or bump into free will. So that is something I cannot reconcile.

So, apart from the occasional fall off the wagon like the above... one which I kicked myself afterwards for - £2 wasted on a fleeting hope... my current worldview does not seek comfort in that sort of hope. So I don't know how I would approach Christianity from my current mindset if I was to go there again. All I do know is, that in any of my quests for comfort these days, they do not come from seeking comfort in false hope or the feelings of hope themselves but rather in accepting reality... so in those times I lean towards Buddhism and other similar philosophies (only the philosophy of it... not the religious/superstitious aspects), rather than something like Christianity. That is, lean towards accepting suffering in the present rather than hoping for something in the future.
(May 11, 2018 at 1:46 pm)Hammy Wrote: The following questions apply to both ex-atheists and theists who have always believed since they were a small child (and everything in-between of course). Here come the questions:

and

Thanks in advance.

Talk about a loaded question!!!

1) That is a very difficult question to answer. I think because it would probably be a natural progression and something that would change over time, I might not really feel much of anything. I don't think I would have a sense of relief, but I also don't think I would have a sense of dread either. I think I would just simply accept it.
2) Another difficult question.. I think I would probably default to wanting another source of purpose in my life if for nothing else than to keep myself from killing myself since I would then think everything is pointless.

I think it's important for me to note that I have been a lot of places throughout the spectrom. I went from being a very spiritual Christian to being an atheist who believed in biological determinism. Now I think my view is somewhere in the middle.
But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change, 
and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence. 
~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'
Thank you everyone for your answers.

@Quick I don't see how either of those questions are loaded lol.
If I went back to Hinduism, I'd probably spend a lot of time reading the stories of Hinduism, and about Hinduism, but not much else would change.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion summed up in two words UniversesBoss 0 476 November 26, 2022 at 1:19 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  The obsession with exactly two levels robvalue 12 1455 September 17, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4889 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Two Mormons knocked on my door today vodkafan 10 2835 June 2, 2014 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8173 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Questions to theists tor 94 10856 March 20, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  20 Questions for Theists FallentoReason 37 14567 July 8, 2013 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Professor's Proposition: Only Two Logical Choices Blackrook 101 38466 October 17, 2012 at 9:49 am
Last Post: jonb
  Questions for theists. 5thHorseman 222 79427 January 6, 2012 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Whateverist