Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fear of hell is in our dna...
Fear of hell is in our dna...
Been thinking about some ex-theists' lingering fear of hell and why it's one of the toughest of the superstitions to shake off.

Is it because we evolved to survive by being afraid of the unknown or something that can hurt us? (better to be safe than sorry)

If so, then could it be possible that a strong part of indoctrination is the threat of hell to non believers more so than an attraction to God?
What I'm saying is that most people (subconsciously or not) become believers exclusively because it keeps them away from hell.
And the more faithful they are, the farther the bridge to hell.

I find it ironic that religious nuts out there who no not believe in evolution, do so because of evolution! (the need to survive hell?)

yes? No? Maybe?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Fear of hell is in our dna...
Seems like just another just so story.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
You don't need to say "Hell" there, you don't know if it's actually dangerous or just some hate from Heaven. Wink
I'm not sure it's hell, more like fear of death in general.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 20, 2018 at 7:08 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I'm not sure it's hell, more like fear of death in general.

If you don't fear death you win the Darwin Award, thereby ending a line that doesn't fear death. Nature is a bitch.
(September 20, 2018 at 7:15 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(September 20, 2018 at 7:08 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I'm not sure it's hell, more like fear of death in general.

If you don't fear death you win the Darwin Award, thereby ending a line that doesn't fear death. Nature is a bitch.

Nah, the DA is for those who think they can cheat death.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm sure threats of hell are a potent factor in religious conversion. It's also arguably a greater factor among children and the young, among whom most religious conversion (or indoctrination) occurs. But it's not as clear that threats of hell are as effective in maintaining belief once it is established. Perseverance of belief as well as parental influence are likely factors there. Once you believe, for whatever reason, it's harder to stop believing than continuing along the same path. Thus threats of hell, parental influence, and perseverance of belief likely make up a perfect storm guaranteed to turn out faithful who, though they develop more sophisticated views ad hoc and post-conversion, likely owe their faith to early vulnerability having nothing to do with any "nobler" motives for believing.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
There was some study I remember that found that some people respond more strongly to fear stimuli and others to reward stimuli. Everyone responds to both, I'm talking about to which they responded the strongest. (Also, this was a predictor of a person being either conservative or progressive).

This is one of the genius things of modern (by which I mean the last 1500 years) religious indoctrination. It includes the stick AND the honey, so it covers both ends of this spectrum.

Personally I never feared hell, even when I was very young and very deeply a believer. It simply never struck me as realistically fearful. Part of me simply dismissed it, because I figured God was loving so the vast majority of people, sinners or no, had nothing to fear from it.
I notice a lot of modern believers are the same. Take CL forinstance, and she has zero fear of hell, even though she admits she cannot know who goes and who remains. She's such a believer in the kind version of God that the scary version holds little sway over her psyche.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
What’s truly the scarier thought here? Hell? Or the celestial dictatorship where you’re a praise-bot for all eternity?

I’m not entirely sure myself.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
I would say a strong sense of self-preservation is in our DNA, and this is what religions can abuse with these intangible threats.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 11419 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Fear Mystic 10 1909 March 28, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Joods
  The Fear of Being Wrong dahrling 22 4840 May 6, 2015 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  DNA heathendegenerate 4 1113 May 31, 2014 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Chas
  Aleph Bet and DNA StrongWaters 158 39477 December 11, 2013 at 9:01 am
Last Post: daandaan
  Christianity, Divisions, Fear Manipulation, and Post Modernist Theories Michael Schubert 46 18756 July 17, 2013 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why I don't fear hell. Gooders1002 23 9519 November 1, 2012 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Star fear "the Empire of heaven" ? Widdekind 35 14061 September 9, 2012 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Faith Through Fear NoFate 49 20043 July 6, 2012 at 6:44 am
Last Post: CliveStaples
  The Fear Card xxxtobymac 91 22487 January 22, 2012 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor