Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Reintroduction is in Order
Reintroduction is in Order
Consider this a re-introduction.

After a long absence I have started posting again and thought I would share a bit. I departed about the same time as Catholic_Lady, JohnV, and other Christians; not so much because I was upset with AF for being so hyper-political at the time (which it was), but because I didn’t like how easily I assumed the worst intent in peoples’ wording and the casualness with which I would malign others. In short, I was acting like a jerk even if at the time I thought (mistakenly) that I was being reasonable. I now resume posting with the intent of contributing mostly on philosophy threads tagged as “serious”. I think that was a brilliant innovation of the AF staff and it seems the members have embraced and respected it.

One thing to note, for those who do not know me, is that while I consider myself a student of Swedenborg, I am not a Swedenborgian. I personally find value in insights that come from visionary experiences but recognize the difficulties of integrating those kinds of experiences with everyday waking consciousness. When I first joined AF, years ago, I was very interested in modern philosophy of mind but not so much anymore. I can accept that there is a deep mystery about the “place” where significance and intent meets matter in time-space. I am now more fascinated by the epistemology of the human condition. In that respect, the traditional approach of classical philosophy seem to me more fruitful than that of modern analytic philosophy. Hence, I have retained the username of Neo-Scholatic. (plus I loved the Matrix and kinda enjoy it when members started calling me Neo.)
<insert profound quote here>
RE: Reintroduction is in Order
Hello!

Glad to meet you for the first time. It's great to have you back. Smile
(May 17, 2021 at 12:42 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Consider this a re-introduction.

After a long absence I have started posting again and thought I would share a bit. I departed about the same time as Catholic_Lady, JohnV, and other Christians; not so much because I was upset with AF for being so hyper-political at the time (which it was), but because I didn’t like how easily I assumed the worst intent in peoples’ wording and the casualness with which I would malign others. In short, I was acting like a jerk even if at the time I thought (mistakenly) that I was being reasonable. I now resume posting with the intent of contributing mostly on philosophy threads tagged as “serious”. I think that was a brilliant innovation of the AF staff and it seems the members have embraced and respected it.

One thing to note, for those who do not know me, is that while I consider myself a student of Swedenborg, I am not a Swedenborgian. I personally find value in insights that come from visionary experiences but recognize the difficulties of integrating those kinds of experiences with everyday waking consciousness. When I first joined AF, years ago, I was very interested in modern philosophy of mind but not so much anymore. I can accept that there is a deep mystery about the “place” where significance and intent meets matter in time-space. I am now more fascinated by the epistemology of the human condition. In that respect, the traditional approach of classical philosophy seem to me more fruitful than that of modern analytic philosophy. Hence, I have retained the username of Neo-Scholatic. (plus I loved the Matrix and kinda enjoy it when members started calling me Neo.)

Glad to see you back, Neo!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Nice to see you, Neo. I recently began posting regularly again as well.

Like you, I'm pretty much only interested in the philosophical stuff (humor too). I always liked your contributions, so I look forward to hearing your perspective in the threads.
We have had our conflicts. But welcome back  Great
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

I'm new on here, but am mostly interested in the philosophical discussions so hope to have some good convos.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reintroduction Data 10 1121 September 21, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Frankie's Reintroduction Bonanza! frankiej 66 7391 February 10, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Reintroduction veoli 10 1688 May 23, 2016 at 6:39 am
Last Post: veoli
  I have returned! A reintroduction post. :o abentwookie 10 1987 March 16, 2015 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: c172
  An Uncommon Reintroduction Foxaèr 10 2691 January 4, 2015 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Hello all, greetings from an order atheist Landfish 26 4446 December 28, 2014 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Reintroduction JDS 6 1260 November 5, 2012 at 10:21 am
Last Post: festive1
  A Reintroduction. CoxRox 23 4997 August 12, 2011 at 4:30 am
Last Post: CoxRox