Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the most absurd error message a program you have made was outputting?
What is the most absurd error message a program you have made was outputting?
Up until yesterday, my AEC-to-WebAssembly compiler was, if somebody tried to use two structures of different types as the second and the third operand to the `?:` (ternary conditional) operator (which is always wrong, but it has happened to me quite a few times that I accidentally tried to do it in C++), as in this example:
Code:
Structure First Consists Of
    Nothing;
EndStructure

Structure Second Consists Of
    Nothing;
EndStructure

Function main(Integer32 a, Integer32 b) Which Returns Nothing Does
    InstantiateStructure First firstStructure;
    InstantiateStructure Second secondStructure;
    InstantiateStructure Second thirdStructure := (a > b) ? firstStructure : secondStructure; // This line contains the error.
EndFunction
For that example, my AEC-to-WebAssembly compiler was outputting this error message:
Code:
Running the tests...
All the tests passed in 4 milliseconds.
Reading the file "debug.aec"...
All characters read in 0 milliseconds.
Tokenizing the program...
Finished tokenizing the program in 0 milliseconds.
I have made a forum thread about how to speed up the tokenizer,
in case you are interested:
https://www.forum.hr/showthread.php?t=1243509
Parsing the program...
Finished parsing the program in 0 milliseconds.
Compiling the program...
Line 10, Column 29, Internal compiler error: Some part of the compiler attempted to compile an array with size less than 1, which doesn't make sense. Throwing an exception!
Internal compiler error: Uncaught exception in the compiler: St13runtime_error: Compiling an array of negative size!
If you have time, please report this to me on GitHub as an issue:
https://github.com/FlatAssembler/AECforWebAssembly/issues
Truly absurd, right? There are no arrays in the program, so how can a part of a compiler possibly request an array with a negative size? It took me hours to figure out what is going on in my compiler (Which perhaps shouldn't be surprising considering that I wrote it 3 years ago.).
RE: What is the most absurd error message a program you have made was outputting?
(June 11, 2023 at 9:51 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: Up until yesterday, my AEC-to-WebAssembly compiler was, if somebody tried to use two structures of different types as the second and the third operand to the `?:` (ternary conditional) operator (which is always wrong, but it has happened to me quite a few times that I accidentally tried to do it in C++), as in this example:
Code:
    Nothing;
EndStructure

Nothing;
EndStructure

InstantiateStructure Second thirdStructure := (a > b) ? firstStructure : secondStructure; // This line contains the error.
EndFunction
For that example, my AEC-to-WebAssembly compiler was outputting this error message:
Code:
Running the tests...
Parsing the program...
Compiling the program...
Line 10, Column 29, Internal compiler error: Some part of the compiler attempted to compile an array with size less than 1, which doesn't make sense. Throwing an exception!
Internal compiler error: Uncaught exception in the compiler: St13runtime_error: Compiling an array of negative size!
Truly absurd, right? There are no arrays in the program, so how can a part of a compiler possibly request an array with a negative size? It took me hours to figure out what is going on in my compiler (Which perhaps shouldn't be surprising considering that I wrote it 3 years ago.).

It took you hours to resolve a mistake you made three years ago in your compiler? I foresee a great future for you as a programmer.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: What is the most absurd error message a program you have made was outputting?
(June 11, 2023 at 12:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 11, 2023 at 9:51 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: Up until yesterday, my AEC-to-WebAssembly compiler was, if somebody tried to use two structures of different types as the second and the third operand to the `?:` (ternary conditional) operator (which is always wrong, but it has happened to me quite a few times that I accidentally tried to do it in C++), as in this example:
Code:
    Nothing;
EndStructure

Nothing;
EndStructure

EndFunction
Code:
Running the tests...
Parsing the program...
Compiling the program...

It took you hours to resolve a mistake you made three years ago in your compiler? I foresee a great future for you as a programmer.

Boru

Well, there were actually two bugs that are triggered by that code, one in the core of the compiler and one in the semantic analyzer. It would have probably taken me significantly less time if I knew how to use a debugger. But compilers are among the most complicated pieces of software, perhaps only less complicated than operating systems.
(June 11, 2023 at 12:35 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(June 11, 2023 at 12:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It took you hours to resolve a mistake you made three years ago in your compiler? I foresee a great future for you as a programmer.

Boru

Well, there were actually two bugs that are triggered by that code, one in the core of the compiler and one in the semantic analyzer. It would have probably taken me significantly less time if I knew how to use a debugger. But compilers are among the most complicated pieces of software, perhaps only less complicated than operating systems.

You don't know how to use a debugger? I foresee a great future for you as a programmer.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 11, 2023 at 1:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 11, 2023 at 12:35 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: Well, there were actually two bugs that are triggered by that code, one in the core of the compiler and one in the semantic analyzer. It would have probably taken me significantly less time if I knew how to use a debugger. But compilers are among the most complicated pieces of software, perhaps only less complicated than operating systems.

You don't know how to use a debugger? I foresee a great future for you as a programmer.

Boru

Well, they didn't teach us that at the university, and I haven't bothered to learn it in my free time.
(June 11, 2023 at 2:57 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(June 11, 2023 at 1:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You don't know how to use a debugger? I foresee a great future for you as a programmer.

Boru

Well, they didn't teach us that at the university, and I haven't bothered to learn it in my free time.

You didn’t bother to learn a basic skill for your chosen profession? I foresee a great future for you as a programmer.

Boru
(June 11, 2023 at 3:30 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 11, 2023 at 2:57 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: Well, they didn't teach us that at the university, and I haven't bothered to learn it in my free time.

You didn’t bother to learn a basic skill for your chosen profession? I foresee a great future for you as a programmer.

Boru

I would be deeply concerned if a programmer I was interviewing hadn't bothered to learn how to use a debugger, and if asked why, and this was the answer...
[Image: OregonTrail-Featured.jpg]

(June 11, 2023 at 3:51 pm)Jackalope Wrote:
(June 11, 2023 at 3:30 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You didn’t bother to learn a basic skill for your chosen profession? I foresee a great future for you as a programmer.

Boru

I would be deeply concerned if a programmer I was interviewing hadn't bothered to learn how to use a debugger, and if asked why, and this was the answer...

...even more so if he told me he rather bothered others with his linguistics BS.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
And what kind of university doesn’t include debugging in a COMPUTER SCIENCE course?? Big Lou’s House O’ Data?

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware! FlatAssembler 36 925 February 22, 2024 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Error 502 bad gateway for Rational Responders Brian37 13 1301 April 23, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Custom error message for stack overflow in C++ FlatAssembler 60 7171 November 21, 2021 at 6:17 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  How Do I Send an SMS message From UK mobile to a US one ReptilianPeon 11 1785 July 9, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Have you ever used Protonmail ? What do you think about it ? The Wise Joker 20 3946 January 30, 2017 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  HELPPPPP Blue screen error just now!!! Edwardo Piet 114 9809 November 10, 2015 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Either the most benign or the most insidious virus I've ever come across... Rev. Rye 2 1380 February 2, 2014 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Disk read error. Creed of Heresy 12 4040 July 27, 2012 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Video Error: Grey circle with a white exclaimation mark inside. Reforged 5 3742 July 5, 2012 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Reforged
  A Microscope made from an SLR + Lenses Tiberius 4 2216 March 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris