Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psychic prediction of mass graves turns out false
Psychic prediction of mass graves turns out false
Psychic tip of mass grave in Texas turns out false

I don't know why anyone would even listen to anyone claiming to be a psychic. When's the last time a psychic ever found a missing person before the police did? They always only find all the connections Nostradamus-style after the police find the body.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
RE: Psychic prediction of mass graves turns out false
No such thing as psychics.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

All of the hard research I've ever seen about so-called pshyic abilities amounts to nothing better than chance. In other words, you have, at best, a 50/50 chance of getting the answer right. Might as well flip a coin.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
If there was anything to it they'd all be playing the stock market instead of wasting their time helping cops.
I'm right with you Thomas ...

Amazing how many "psychics" there are in the world - and not a ONE of them was able to warn us about the Twin Towers, the tsunami in Japan, the bombings in Europe, or anything else of any substantial worth.

to quote John Wayne, "Re-god-damn-diculous!"
[Image: Evolution.png]

Well, it was a coincidence that yesterday as I was working, I was thinking about so-called psychics (OMG! I must be psychic!). They call it "Extra-Sensory Perception" and supposedly is a function of the brain. The problem is that even so-called psychics do no better than chance in a controlled environment. But the part I was really thinking of was that if this is supposed to be some sort of means of perception by our brains, it seems like it's pretty damn unreliable. I know what my house looks like and can navigate around even in the dark. I know what my wife's voice sounds like day in and day out. A song you hear on the radio today sounds the same as the first time you ever heard it. Food, if prepared the same way, usually always tastes the same. A bottle of cologne smells the same day in and day out. In other words, our five senses are pretty reliable.

Take so-called "psychic ability" on the other hand. For some strange, cosmic reason, psychic abilities just seem to come & go. Even those claiming to be psychic say that their "abilities" aren't 100% reliable. And, as I stated above, when so-called psychic abilities are tested in laboratory controlled conditions, success rates seem to dwindle down to chance. So basically, what good is so-called "psychic ability?" I've never heard of any so-called psychics warning about 9/11 before it happened. I've never seen a headline that says, "Psychic Wins Lottery Again." I've never even actually heard of a psychic successfully finding a missing child, but after a body is found they then swoop in and make connections between their supposed predictions and the actual evidence. And usually it's something as vague as "He'll be found near water."

It's obvious that there's nothing real to ESP, and people are just retrofitting the data to fit in with current predictions. That, and they make dozens of predictions and ignore the ones which come to nothing, but tout the one they got right as proof of their abilities. Keep throwing darts at a dartboard and eventually you'll get a bullseye. The "good" psychics convince people that they always get a bullseye while ignoring all the misses.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
The problem is yo're only relying on 5 of the 12-20 some senses you have.

Your sense of Balance is less reliable than your sense of touch. The fact that the 5 material sensory inputs interact directly with material existance of course makes them reliable. Sensory skill are trained by use and necessity. If people trained their more subtle sensory inputs, perhaps they'd be more accurate. The prolem is in a deterministic and experiential world, we rely heavily on our interaction with the material, which accentuates those inputs. The senses you rely on most are the strongest. To dismiss the potential for ESP is standard for strict materialsts. Most also claim 5 senses regularly. I see it as a detriment to exploring and testing the metaphysical.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...699290024J
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Not going to read, to answer the title I can only say no shit. lol
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
Glad everyone's not as closed minded.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
The thing is that there is no evidence that there is anything at all to ESP, other than cognition through your normal senses which one may be unaware that he is actually perceiving such, cognitive bias, cold reading, and lucky guesses (which tie into cognitive bias). Every time ESP has been put to the test in double-blind, controlled conditions, it fails miserably and any guesses fare no better than chance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US man sues psychic who 'promised to remove ex-girlfriend curse' zebo-the-fat 24 2742 October 6, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  AF members' psychic predictions for 2016 Alex K 96 18002 September 3, 2016 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  An example of false perceptions.......... Brian37 1 877 April 22, 2016 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Psychic mediums jcvamp 25 4401 December 13, 2015 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Animal Psychic Conveys Cecil the Lion's Message to Humanity Salacious B. Crumb 49 15312 September 24, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  "Psychic" dies downbeatplumb 7 2893 August 29, 2015 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  My Mother the Psychic là bạn điên 28 8988 February 5, 2014 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: Weewah
  Psychic and the wife sarcasticgeographer 26 5222 August 16, 2013 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Psychic past EGross 10 4020 March 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  False skepticism CapnAwesome 35 11190 December 9, 2012 at 8:37 am
Last Post: Cyberman