Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:00 pm

Poll: Is atheistforums a pleasant place?
This poll is closed.
For the most part yeah, but it has it's nasty moments
60.00%
18 60.00%
No, the vibe is pretty aggressive towards non-atheists and new ideas
6.67%
2 6.67%
Yeah I don't see any problems, I enjoy it as it is!
16.67%
5 16.67%
Who cares? It's just a forum?
16.67%
5 16.67%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Respect in the face of ignorance?
Question 
Respect in the face of ignorance?
I'm curious as to the general concensus on these 'ere forumz...

In light of recent events, with people expressing their thoughts on the forums I thought I'd try and express mine even though a lot of you probably don't care for it.

If someone's being downright ignorant, making claims which they refuse to back up, being evasive when asked simple questions, making statements which are just plain misinformed, or simply making comments which are too stupid to be taken seriously how should we respond?

I know some of us want the forums to be a much more 'pleasant place' and that there is apparently some kind of 'mob mentality' which occurs on occasion. I'd agree with this to an extent. But what are we supposed to do when a troll comes along? What are we supposed to do when someone comes onto the forum and doesn't know what they are talking about? What are we supposed to do when someone makes a claim and then doesn't back it up after being asked to repeatedly? I think there are times when being firm is really required, and to be honest I don't want this forum turning into a place where we are overly respectful to idiotic views and ridiculous reasoning.
Finding the right balance is what I think is necessary.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything and if a mod/admin reads this post and thinks so then I ask them to immediately remove the thread because the last thing I wish to cause is drama. I just myself want to know what the views are of everyone on this site if possible. Some think the forums are heading in a 'bad direction', but maybe they aren't, maybe the way the forums are is simply a result of what happens when humans are actually allowed to have freedom in what they say?

When people come on here and insult what a lot of us hold as core beliefs (whether they do it inadvertently or not) is it surprising or even bad that a lot of us on here are going to cause a backlash against them?
(when I say 'core beliefs' I use the term lightly, I actually more mean simple ideas which a lot of us as atheists share, for instance evolution and the big bang)

Or maybe what happens as a result of this (perhaps) ignorance is too extreme, and we are just behaving like a group of thugs?

I've made a poll to try and gauge what people think.

What are your thoughts on the general vibe the forum is giving out?
RE: Respect in the face of ignorance?
I'm not the one to ask: I come here for a good time, and I usually have it Smile Sometimes I am enlightened, but that's a bonus, since entertainment is paramount to my existence and my goals Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Hmm. I'm on the fence here. I don't see an awful lot of hostility, but maybe I missed something or my sense of humor is off. I like it here and only get annoyed at trollish behavior and baiting that isn't between friends. I certainly don't think it is "hostile" here, but I am a "toughen up" kind of person.
To be honest Im sure the forums were made with the intention of having stimulating debates between atheists and theists, however, I joined to have conversations and discussions with fell atheist not have to explain easily researchable answer to crazy questions from theists. I get enough of that in real life. I have seen a few times where I thought someone did unneccesarily attack someone over their beliefs but not as a general rule. Personally, you can insult me all day long I dont give a crap, Im only interested in seeing if you can respond to my arguments. I think once we have done that and someone continues to bring up the same points over and over again, and failing to provide any good contribution it can be frustrating and insults are gonna happen. Overall I dont think its an overly hostile place but maybe thats because I think people are too damn sensitive. But I can understand wanting people to be a littlle more respectful.
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
Your poll misses the vital option of "yes, it is very pleasant, and I don't see where this 'nastiness' vibe is coming from at all" Tongue

Shell B Wrote:I certainly don't think it is "hostile" here, but I am a "toughen up" kind of person.

+1... I think it is very likely that I've been around so many trolls to the point that whatever small amount of "less than pleasantness" goes on here: it doesn't even register to me.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
It's still softer and gentler than other atheist forums I frequent.
I don't think it's 'nasty'. More like lots of trollish behaviour... instead of telling someone straight you don't like what they're saying, we get pages of people saying the same thing. The OP really doesn't stand a chance against the tirade of abuse. If they were making an ignorant point we never get to see that. And minority points of view don't get a look in.
It's all too easy to have reached a consensus as a community and show an intolerance to any other POV. I'm as guilty as anyone in this... you don't notice yourself doing it. It's not just our religious stances either, but everything we talk about: science, politics, sexual orientation... we have our group identity. I think it's healthy to question your own and your communities stances now and again, and to try not to be so dogmatic.
(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: I'm curious as to the general concensus on these 'ere forumz...

I'm curious, too.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: In light of recent events, with people expressing their thoughts on the forums I thought I'd try and express mine even though a lot of you probably don't care for it.

I care a little bit though. But it doesn't make a difference to me actually.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: If someone's being downright ignorant, making claims which they refuse to back up, being evasive when asked simple questions, making statements which are just plain misinformed, or simply making comments which are too stupid to be taken seriously how should we respond?

Respond intelligently. Also, be patient and do not rush to make the first reply.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: I know some of us want the forums to be a much more 'pleasant place' and that there is apparently some kind of 'mob mentality' which occurs on occasion. I'd agree with this to an extent.

I agree to a certain extent also.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: But what are we supposed to do when a troll comes along?

Hug them.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: What are we supposed to do when someone comes onto the forum and doesn't know what they are talking about?

Try to make them understand what they're talking about.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: What are we supposed to do when someone makes a claim and then doesn't back it up after being asked to repeatedly?

Ask them exactly 13 times to back up a claim. If they don't, however, then don't ask them anymore.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: I think there are times when being firm is really required, and to be honest I don't want this forum turning into a place where we are overly respectful to idiotic views and ridiculous reasoning.

A little bit of firmness is a good thing. Don't be too soft or overly respectful every single time.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: Finding the right balance is what I think is necessary.

Yeah, finding a balance is an important thing, which is easier said than done like many other things in life.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything and if a mod/admin reads this post and thinks so then I ask them to immediately remove the thread because the last thing I wish to cause is drama.

Your intention is pretty clear. So, they'll know that you're not trying to cause drama.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: I just myself want to know what the views are of everyone on this site if possible.

Most likely not from everyone on this site. Maybe from quite a lot of us at least. But, I think you understand that already.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: Some think the forums are heading in a 'bad direction', but maybe they aren't, maybe the way the forums are is simply a result of what happens when humans are actually allowed to have freedom in what they say?

Things change from time to time, and yes, maybe the forum is not heading in a bad direction. But ultimately, we can't predict the future.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: When people come on here and insult what a lot of us hold as core beliefs (whether they do it inadvertently or not) is it surprising or even bad that a lot of us on here are going to cause a backlash against them? (when I say 'core beliefs' I use the term lightly, I actually more mean simple ideas which a lot of us as atheists share, for instance evolution and the big bang)

It depends on the style and the manner in which you 'backlash' against them. Also, it's a matter of degrees.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: Or maybe what happens as a result of this (perhaps) ignorance is too extreme, and we are just behaving like a group of thugs?

That's a possible reason. However, I wouldn't say that you guys are acting like a group of thugs. That sounds like a bad comparison.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: I've made a poll to try and gauge what people think.

Good.

(September 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm)Napoleon Wrote: What are your thoughts on the general vibe the forum is giving out?

For me, the vibe is generally fun and pleasant most of the time. And it's always better to try to improve the vibe for everyone else.
I've gotta be honest I'm also on the fence with Shell. I think the only thing we (or at least me) are guilty of on this site is jumping on the band wagon when someone resorts to ridicule. Often several people do jump in and essentially say the same thing.

But really, I can't see that much of a problem. If you walked in to a room of xtians and started shouting "creationism and gawd aint real cuz I say so mofockers!" would you expect them to politely ask you '13' times (as Rayaan said) to prove your position or would you expect them to get the slightest bit annoyed about some douche who's just jumped in to their room? I'm thinking the latter, and personally I don't see anything other than human nature here.

I know people do come on here who aren't experienced with forums and the like, and some people think it's harsh to treat them like a cunt if they go around making stupid claims, but fuck me, when I came here I made some pretty stupid comments and was very naive. The reaction I got from the forums on my first real thread was one of "you're an idiot go away". But it did me a world of good, because it made me realise the importance of not just mindlessly believing things without propper evidence. I think that's a good thing, and funnily enough I got a very positive effect from what some on here may call 'aggressiveness'.
When confronted with ignorance I first offer an alternative (education). Then, when ignorance persists, I go straight to ridicule. I don't feel bad about it at all. This is assuming they are putting forward an evidentiary claim. If we're talking opinions. Well, my opinion is that some peoples opinions are ignorant. I'm responding to posts mostly, so I won't be held accountable for the contents of the OP, nor will I be guilted into feeling that I should somehow be nicer in my presentation. Persistent ignorance deserves persistent ridicule.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do we as a society combat ignorance? NuclearEnergy 14 3468 June 13, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Girls: Beard or Baby face? ErGingerbreadMandude 90 9583 May 5, 2016 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Random thought about Sam Harris's face. paulpablo 16 4663 April 13, 2015 at 12:00 am
Last Post: Exian
  "You wouldn't say that to my face" OP/ED Brian37 16 4834 April 9, 2015 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Put on a happy face, atheist vs atheist vs theist. Brian37 0 746 March 23, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Fuck the word "respect". Brian37 31 5352 September 5, 2014 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Sad face BrokenQuill92 11 2083 June 18, 2014 at 5:58 am
Last Post: Losty
  Moment of face palm. Clueless Morgan 12 4987 December 20, 2013 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Poll - Christianity is a Ridiculous Compliation of Outdated Myths Derived from Pure Ignorance? RonaldReagansGhost666 1 1518 April 18, 2013 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Joking vs mockery, respect or disrespect? Mystic 109 21489 April 4, 2013 at 8:19 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen