Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 2:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism Doen't Equal Depression
RE: Atheism Doen't Equal Depression
(August 17, 2015 at 2:50 pm)Godschild Wrote: Sure you are, just as in this post and I resent this, people here have made their depression public on a public forum and they know it can come up at anytime, it's been done to me at times and you do not hear me crying about it, and I stated as a matter of fact that I wouldn't name one solitary person. I stated in my first post that what I was saying was from observation and not fact or research and as usual everyone want's to make something different out of what I clearly stated as opinion. Everyone can blow it out their ears, atheist treat Christians as the scourge of the earth and that's okay as long as you can live with it.

GC

Your comments served no purpose if you were not trying to insinuate that atheism causes depression. Of course, you didn't name names because you knew you were wrong and talking about stuff that you couldn't back up. It's one thing to be mistaken, but it's disingenuous to make statements and then hide behind "It was just an opinion." You came in here telling me I'm wrong. That doesn't sound like someone just voicing an opinion.

GodsChild Wrote:Everyone can blow it out their ears

You've made that clear too.

Christians have supported every kind of evil on Earth from slavery to genocide. They have, in this country alone, been in the vanguard of those who oppose having compassion on the poor and the sick. If Christians don't want to be seen as the scourge of the Earth, why do they support a belief system that is patently anti-human? Why don't Christians use their political power to stop the KKK using the cross as a symbol of terrorism instead of using it to make everybody think god is a conservative Republican?

Before you act like you don't know what I'm talking about, remember, I have not handicapped myself by not being able to name names.

The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(August 16, 2015 at 9:50 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(August 16, 2015 at 5:43 pm)MTL Wrote: By no means do I think Religion is the ONLY problem in the world;

But it is one of the biggest causes of trouble;

and it is far and away the most UNNECESSARY and completely avoidable source of trouble in the world.

Religion has always been one of the biggest causes of corruption, abuse, oppression and war...

...what do you mean why is it causing my problem?

You haven't a religious belief so I still do not see why you're blaming religion. What are Christians doing today to cause you to be depressed or the Muslims or any other. The things going on are by murderous animals, sexually sick and the down right selfishness and love of one's on self. If I'm not mistaken the religions of the world condemn these things, just because someone wants to attach a religious name to a crime doesn't mean that particular religion is guilty of any thing.

GC

So much for that "getting your morality from god" thing.

(August 17, 2015 at 2:50 pm)Godschild Wrote: Sure you are, just as in this post and I resent this, people here have made their depression public on a public forum and they know it can come up at anytime, it's been done to me at times and you do not hear me crying about it, and I stated as a matter of fact that I wouldn't name one solitary person. I stated in my first post that what I was saying was from observation and not fact or research and as usual everyone want's to make something different out of what I clearly stated as opinion. Everyone can blow it out their ears, atheist treat Christians as the scourge of the earth and that's okay as long as you can live with it.

GC

Rhonda Wrote:Your comments served no purpose if you were not trying to insinuate that atheism causes depression.  Of course, you didn't name names because you knew you were wrong and talking about stuff that you couldn't back up. It's one thing to be mistaken, but it's disingenuous to make statements and then hide behind "It was just an opinion."  You came in here telling me I'm wrong. That doesn't sound like someone just voicing an opinion.  

I came saying I disagreed with you and never have said that I had the first fact I plainly stated time and again this was my opinion, if you can't accept that then why continue this stupid conversation.

GodsChild Wrote:Everyone can blow it out their ears

Rhonda Wrote:You've made that clear too.

Christians have supported every kind of evil on Earth from slavery to genocide. They have, in this country alone, been in the vanguard of those who oppose having compassion on the poor and the sick. If Christians don't want to be seen as the scourge of the Earth, why do they support a belief system that is patently anti-human?

Oh and atheist haven't, the people in the north U.S. didn't care about whether slavery was right or not (yes some small groups did, just as in the south small groups were against slavery, especially in east Tennessee). The northern states, especially the large banks supported slavery because of the "white gold' of the southern states (cotton). This country was being financially built upon cotton and the cheaper the labor the more everyone made, you need to understand that there were atheist in all sectors of life during that time and they were making the money they wanted from cotton. You like others don't want to see the whole truth just the part where you can condemn Christians. Most all walks of life in the U.S. were for the cheap work slavery brought, because it filled their pockets with money, if you can't handle the truth then you should stay away from me because I will tell it like it is. 
Christianity does more to help people in need around the world in one year than atheist have in all history, we bring food and water to multi-millions of people that other wise would receive no help period. The moneys we give for missions to help others could never be made up by atheist. I've known Christians who have personally taken it upon themselves to send box car loads of food and medicine Haiti and accompany them there to make sure the goods got into the hands of those who needed them, all this at their own personal expense, this is just one very small example that's going on with the Christian community daily. The three largest relief organizations in the world are Christian and do more for people than any one country in the world, they are always first on the scene of disasters bringing in vital supplies and they do it better than anyone else and without tax dollars, we take these things upon ourselves. Tis doesn't even to begin to explain what we do in our communities, let's see atheist match what we willing give for others.

Rhonda Wrote:Why don't Christians use their political power to stop the KKK using the cross as a symbol of terrorism instead of using it to make everybody think god is a conservative Republican?

We can't stop that and you know it, that's a pitiful example. Why don't atheist get out and protest the KKK as much as Christian groups do, you do know that there are many black Christians in this country are you also condemning them for allowing the KKK to us the cross. By the way the cross was used long before Christians took it as an symbol. God couldn't care less whither people are republicans or democrats, I know democrats who appose abortion and other things you would connect only to the republicans, I think it's pathetic to throw all your dislikes on one party.

Rhonda Wrote:Before you act like you don't know what I'm talking about, remember, I have not handicapped myself by not being able to name names.

Actually I haven't an idea what your talking about, but if naming names makes you happy go for it, I'm sure I will find it par for the coarse.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(August 17, 2015 at 2:10 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(August 17, 2015 at 10:09 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: So, in other words, there's something about atheists that makes them follow depression inducing diets?

Maybe it's the bananas. We don't have to believe in Jesus. We just have to go easy on the bananas. All that potassium, perhaps?

You're smarter than that, so why be snide with your remarks. I've never said that atheist have a different diet and did not insinuate they did, I was pointing out that diet can be the cause of depression and if some wanted to read the book they may find out changing there diet might help. Why is it that atheist always believe the worst about Christians, you know that is a biased if not bigoted attitude. I never said I had any support for my belief other than what I observed and everyone here has made a big deal out of it as if I had stated it was fact. I'm tired of everyone's trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, if stirring up trouble is your form of entertainment then some here need to grow up, I'm finished with this thread.

GC
My op is a statement that atheism does not cause people to be depressed. Why would you come in talking about all the depressed atheists you have "observed" and calling me wrong if you were not trying to insinuate that atheism does cause depression? Perhaps you want to back away from that stance. The best way to do that is to make a clear, unambiguous, unequivocal statement that you do NOT believe that atheism causes depression. Short of that, no amount of backpedaling and obfuscation will change the way your statements are being construed.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(August 16, 2015 at 10:01 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(August 15, 2015 at 10:41 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: Care to provide some evidence there Chief, or are you gonna go with personal testimony and bullshit again?

I gave it in the post, you're just looking for what you want out of my post, as I see it you couldn't care less what's really said.

GC

That isn't evidence. It's an assertion. Do you even understand the concept of evidence? Considering some of the shit you present, and especially the shit you accept, I'm really beginning to doubt it.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Argument by mere assertion is all religious people can do. That's what their entire holy scripture is, assertion.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(August 16, 2015 at 10:24 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(August 16, 2015 at 5:56 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: AF is far too small a statistical universe from which to conclude that non-theists tend more towards depression than theists (in all fairness, the reverse is also true).

I've had depressive episodes in my life - the death of my father, the ending of certain relationships, the loss of dear friends, etc.  But my atheism can hardly said to have been the source of my depression.

Boru

Just like Christianity isn't the cause of mine. All I have tried to relate here is that, as I see it, Christianity gives purpose where being an atheist is nothing more than none belief and I can't see how that in itself can contribute to purpose.

GC

I pity those who cannot find meaning in life without needing someone else to give it to them.
(August 17, 2015 at 2:10 pm)Godschild Wrote: Why is it that atheist always believe the worst about Christians

Maybe it's because once they find out we don't believe the same as them, we're presented with their worst side.
(August 17, 2015 at 6:08 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(August 17, 2015 at 2:10 pm)Godschild Wrote: You're smarter than that, so why be snide with your remarks. I've never said that atheist have a different diet and did not insinuate they did, I was pointing out that diet can be the cause of depression and if some wanted to read the book they may find out changing there diet might help. Why is it that atheist always believe the worst about Christians, you know that is a biased if not bigoted attitude. I never said I had any support for my belief other than what I observed and everyone here has made a big deal out of it as if I had stated it was fact. I'm tired of everyone's trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, if stirring up trouble is your form of entertainment then some here need to grow up, I'm finished with this thread.

GC
My op is a statement that atheism does not cause people to be depressed. Why would you come in talking about all the depressed atheists you have "observed" and calling me wrong if you were not trying to insinuate that atheism does cause depression?   Perhaps you want to back away from that stance. The best way to do that is to make a clear, unambiguous, unequivocal statement that you do NOT believe that atheism causes depression. Short of that, no amount of backpedaling and obfuscation will change the way your statements are being construed.

Yes the results of atheism can cause depression, just as the results of people who do not know how to live their Christian lives can cause depression, I have nothing to back off from, I gave an opinion to start with, have made it clear that what I said was an opinion and if those here want to cry go ahead it's no skin off my teeth. I've read none of the other posts and will read no more of your's. Whateverist is the only one I'll read if he decides to post to me.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(August 15, 2015 at 12:34 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(August 15, 2015 at 12:13 pm)Cinjin Wrote: I like to give credit for those talents to the people that spent their lives studying the work of countless others who studied and sacrificed their time and lives to overcome the religious right that held down medical science for centuries.  But hey, you go ahead and thank a wizard in the sky... that's reasonable.

...And immediately after you accuse the general population of atheists of being depressed due to their atheism, you go and admit that you yourself are depressed.  Does your god also get the credit for giving you your imbalance?  Curious how your god STILL needs doctors to cure what he gave you.  Curious how your belief structure has nothing to do with your depression but somehow atheists are depressed because of their belief structure.  Got a nice hot cup of hypocrisy there godschild.

And yet you wonder why atheists get angry at you.
I was nearly always depressed when I worshiped your god.  I have been occasionally depressed while NOT worshiping your god.

...and this is for everybody:  Depression needs no religion or lack thereof to rear its ugly head in your life.  Stop connecting the two simply to promote your filthy agenda.  

Fucking pathetic.

Just stay out of my conversations none of what you said about me and what I said is true, you're an outright liar. This is all I have to say to you, a person who holds a grudge against all Christians because he can't get along with his dad, that's not my fault, you need to get over it and live a normal life, if that's possible by now.

GC

Could you go ahead and explain how I'm "an outright liar"?  What did I say that is untrue??  What are you talking about my dad for?  What does my dad have to do with anything??  Have you finally lost your mind??  

First things first you crazy old man, defend your accusation and explain how my post makes me a liar.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 7440 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Faith healers equal dead kids Manowar 39 6675 April 17, 2015 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Goon
  Religious Services Prevent Depression? Diamond 12 2773 November 13, 2011 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Church of England's idea of equal opportunity bozo 7 2234 June 29, 2011 at 11:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger