Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church of England's idea of equal opportunity
Church of England's idea of equal opportunity
The Equality Act introduced in April bans employers from discriminating against someone because they are gay.
However, it does allow the employer to impose a " genuine occupational requirement ".
The Cof E response to this is to issue a guideline to members of its synod that gay men can be ordained as bishops, but only if they pledge to be celibate!
Bad enough having to wear fancy dress and preach superstition without not being able to have sex either , if you ask me!
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: Church of England's idea of equal opportunity
I saw an article on this and the comments on it were just apalling. People were talking about getting right with god.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but I thought abstinence was a prerequisite for priesthood?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Not in C of E
Quote:but only if they pledge to be celibate!

Shit....catholics have had that rule for 1,000 years and it hasn't even slowed the fuckers down.
I don't really understand the whole celibate thing. They say that homosexuality is unnatural (even though it has been documented to occur in most species of mammals), but the way I see it is that celibacy is far more unnatural. I see it as being similar to refraining from other animalistic acts such as eating... just a thought.
Cunt
Its a sort of "married to the church and the kingdom of heaven" thing. Taking a wife or concubine would effectively be cheating on god. Not that I buy it, but there it is. There are some verses in Timothy and Corinthians (they escape me at the moment) that formed the basis of the practice in roman catholic clergy and it's been carried over into other (though not all) denominations. Interesting side note, lifelong celibacy is forbidden in islam, and only married men are called to be bishop in the mormon tradition.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I heard a Catholic priest defend non-marriage and celibacy of priests by saying that if a priest has a wife, they can't devote their entire attention to the church and some such nonsense. But Protestant ministers seem to be able to do it just fine. The major problem is that priests are expected to give marital advice, something which they know absolutely nothing about. How can you discuss sexual problems between you and your wife with someone who's not married & doesn't have sex? How is someone who doesn't live with a woman going to understand what it's like to put up with a nagging wife, for example?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Apparently everything one needs to know about marriage and sexual relations is to be found within the pages of the bible.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6678 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3276 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Disappointment in God's idea purplepurpose 19 3344 December 4, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
Question My mom's idea of a good path Der/die AtheistIn 6 1090 November 27, 2017 at 2:19 am
Last Post: chorlton
  What A Fantastic Idea! Minimalist 4 1103 July 3, 2016 at 10:57 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  An Old Idea I Had About The (Hebrew) Word "Adam" (relates to Quran also) ReptilianPeon 1 1454 February 5, 2016 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Atheism Doen't Equal Depression Rhondazvous 94 13017 August 23, 2015 at 8:46 am
Last Post: T.J.
  Faith healers equal dead kids Manowar 39 6351 April 17, 2015 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Goon
Exclamation New Groundfloor business opportunity! Brakeman 14 2214 April 7, 2015 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The Idea of a God Is Not So Crazy LivingNumbers6.626 36 7774 April 22, 2014 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Chad32