Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 8:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clerk Defies Supreme Court, Refuses Gay Marriage Licenses
RE: Clerk Defies Supreme Court, Refuses Gay Marriage Licenses
latest one....muslim flight attendant complains when she is suspended after refusing to serve alcohol:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/05/travel...t/?ref=yfp

For me, it comes down to this:

You can either do everything the job entails, or you cannot.

An employer cannot refuse to hire you simply because of your religious leanings, true.

But what's next?

Are muslim women going to apply for jobs as strippers,

...and then claim that their faith disallows them from stripping or dancing,

...and then demand that if their employer doesn't give them alternate duty at a desk job,
that they are being discriminated-against?

JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE RELIGIOUS DOESN'T MEAN ANYONE OWES YOU A JOB.

In this story, it is a small airline...these airlines often have only one flight attendant per plane.

Now,

they could hire me, a secular agnostic, to do ALL the duties,

or they could hire a Muslim, to do all duties EXCEPT serve alcohol,
....AND a secular person, to serve the alcohol.

Are we really going to put the stress on employers,
in a tough economy,
to hire TWO people
for every job that ONE person could do,

...just to accommodate the religious leanings of people who knew what the job entailed when they took it?

Especially in PUBLIC offices, where the salaries are high, and paid-for by taxpayers???

What if an employer doesn't have alternate duties for you to do?

What if the employer CAN'T AFFORD to pay you do something that he really doesn't need you to do?
If the jesus freaks have lost Arkansas they have lost the war.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/arkansas...hypocrisy/

Quote:Arkansas voters approve LGBT protections — which Duggars fought in jaw-dropping display of hypocrisy

Eat shit, Huckabee.
Also:

I think if religious people are going to bellyache about the conflicts of their religion with their job,
then it's arguably against their faith for them to even BE EMPLOYED by any agency or employer
who PROFITS by or ENCOURAGES such things in the world.

If you are a Muslim who has a problem serving alcohol,
then perhaps it is a sin to even make a living from a business that profits by selling alcohol
...even if you're not the clerk who actually processed the sale.

I mean, would a Muslim woman not be offending Allah by earning her living
by working a desk job at a XXX Adult Film Production Company,
which profits from immodesty and sex out of wedlock
...even though she is only doing the books, and never appears in any of the films, herself?
AND, come to that,

Why now, Religious Right?

Is it only because of the Supreme Court ruling?

How come you never had any issue with any of the myriad ways in which your jobs
required you to flout God's Law, until now?

That baker who refused to make a wedding cake for the lesbian couple....

...did he ever refuse to make a wedding cake for a couple in which one or both partners
had been previously married?

Did he ever make cakes for Atheists?  Muslims?  Hindus?  Jews?

Did he ever make a cake for a SINNER of any kind?

Oh, wait.....ALL his clients qualified as "sinners", according to Christian doctrine, you say???
You are wasting too much ink on what are, after all, nothing more than hypocrites who think their fucking fairy tales give them a right to dictate to others.

Don't over complicate this.

The world needs to see that religion cannot be tolerated as an excuse for bigotry.
(September 8, 2015 at 6:12 pm)A Theist Wrote:
(September 8, 2015 at 5:53 pm)Redbeard The Pink Wrote: My Wizard senses are tingling...the psychic vibrations from the dream realms are sending me a vision...hang on, let me get out my tarot cards and blow some bubbles...yes, it's coming into focus now...I see Kim Davis, leaving jail...she's free! Free as a bird! Wait...I'm seeing something else...one week later (give or take a week on either side for bureaucracy)...her fat ass is going right back into jail...for the same shit.

Excellent. Nothing like good ol' martyrdom to keep the pot boiling.

Yes, yes...and the South will rise again, yadda yadda. Keep dreaming - it makes your ideology considerably less dangerous when that's all you do.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Because of RFRA laws, employers are expected to make modest accommodations for the religious beliefs of their employees. They don't have to exempt employees from essential duties (like exempting a Muslim bartender from serving alcohol), but the courts are likely to rule that a request that can be accommodated by limited exchanges of work duties (Muslim flight attendant takes on other duties more in exchange for not having to serve alcohol, for instance) should be so accommodated.

Kim Davis actually has a case, in that her request is for her name and title to not appear on Marriage Certificates now that gays can marry. Given that she is popular in her county and holds an elective office, altering the Marriage Certificates so that her deputy clerks can provide them without her 'seal of approval' is an accommodation that I think there is at lease a 50/50 chance the Court willl wind up accepting.

Of course, all this RFRA stuff working depends on the demands of employees for religious accommodation to remain within some bounds. If you have too many Muslim flight attendants refusing to serve alcohol, modest (low-cost) accommodations for their religious requirements can become so burdensome to meet that the provisions of RFRA no longer provide protection. At this point a business (say, an airline) could probably safely make an ultimatum that all attendants not willing to serve alcohol must seek employment elsewhere, and the Court would likely back them up.

IANAL
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(September 9, 2015 at 10:45 am)Minimalist Wrote: You are wasting too much ink on what are, after all, nothing more than hypocrites who think their fucking fairy tales give them a right to dictate to others.

The world needs to see that religion cannot be tolerated as an excuse for bigotry.

I'm sorry....are you addressing me?
(September 9, 2015 at 10:45 am)Minimalist Wrote: You are wasting too much ink on what are, after all, nothing more than hypocrites who think their fucking fairy tales give them a right to dictate to others.

It really is this simple.

[Image: B-StopUsingJesus.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leaked Supreme Court Decision signals majority set to overturn Roe v. Wade Cecelia 234 18927 June 7, 2022 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Supreme Court To Take Up Right to Carry Firearm Outside Home onlinebiker 57 2592 April 29, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Court Ordered Quarantine brewer 2 473 October 24, 2019 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Supreme Court Considers Mandatory Govt Funding of Religious Education EgoDeath 8 824 September 24, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Fed Court, "hand over 8yrs of your finances" Brian37 15 1114 May 22, 2019 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Court of Appeals Tells Alabama Shitheads to "Fuck Off!" Minimalist 6 1178 August 23, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Colorado Baker A Theist 371 48674 June 14, 2018 at 2:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Maddow and this weeks court TRANSCRIPTS... Brian37 14 1784 April 19, 2018 at 4:38 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Night Court judge, actor Harry Anderson dies c172 9 1346 April 16, 2018 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Gay couples denied full marriage benefits in Texas Aoi Magi 18 2870 December 8, 2017 at 4:12 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah