Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 3:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
RE: Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
(October 7, 2015 at 1:00 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: [...] 

I had a guilty satisfaction when he called my arguments "silly".

Well, good for you. Isn't that why religion is so popular - because it allows dumb people to feel smug, through shameless violation of logic?

Here are some key differences between Richard Dawkins and your god, that may explain/clarify your confusion:
1. Richard Dawkins is not omnipotent, or omnipresent, as your god - allegedly - is.
2. Richard Dawkins doesn't claim to have any super-powers, that you claim your god has.
3. Dawkins' claims are disprovable - even though you can't disprove them. It's impossible to disprove an imaginary being, like god that can be redefined at any time to suit the needs of its proponent - with no concern for testability, or even consistency.
4. Richard Dawkins doesn't give a f*** about you. Your god - allegedly loves you and wants to be your boyfriend.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(October 6, 2015 at 11:51 pm)Delicate Wrote: A common claim about Christianity is "There are so many interpretations of the Bible! How can you know if any of it is true!"

What people who make this claim don't realize is that the differences over interpretation account for a minuscule fraction of what the Bible really says. So, while the Bible's stance on certain issues might not be wholly precise, the main claims are pretty clear.

No, the Bible is untrue because it makes claims about: dragons living in Babylon, the sun being created after plants, healing leprosy with the blood of birds, many 'holy men' leaving their graves and wondering around Jerusalem, 3 hours of darkness at noon (mysteriously no other culture reports this) and so many other ridiculous claims.  

Quote:For instance, it's pretty clear, not just from the Bible, but from historical record, that there was a man named Jesus. The Bible is pretty clear about most of his claims, and the basic facts of his life, etc.

The hell it is.

There are zero contemporaneous accounts of Jesus outside of the Bible.  

Quote:The problem with people who make this claim is the overly broad and inaccurate generalizations.

The vast majority of discovered Biblical texts are for the most part identical to each other, and the minor discrepancies that do exist are over things like grammar and prepositions (like "on" versus "upon").

Identical versions of the majority of he Bible, does not lend any credibility to the BS claims contained in the Bible. 

Quote:What knowledgeable atheists can rationally affirm is that only certain parts of the Bible might be ambiguous. The others are more or less clear.

Not a very good way for an omnipotent, omniscient deity to communicate his message, is it?

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
God wants a personal relationship with you, but whenever you try to send him flowers you can't find him. He is much disappointed and heartbroken. You're gonna go to hell.
(October 7, 2015 at 6:15 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote:

Well, good for you. Isn't that why religion is so popular - because it allows dumb people to feel smug, through shameless violation of logic?

Here are some key differences between Richard Dawkins and your god, that may explain/clarify your confusion:
1. Richard Dawkins is not omnipotent, or omnipresent, as your god - allegedly - is.
2. Richard Dawkins doesn't claim to have any super-powers, that you claim your god has.
3. Dawkins' claims are disprovable - even though you can't disprove them. It's impossible to disprove an imaginary being, like god that can be redefined at any time to suit the needs of its proponent - with no concern for testability, or even consistency.
4. Richard Dawkins doesn't give a f*** about you. Your god - allegedly loves you and wants to be your boyfriend.

5. Richard Dawkins actually exists.

6. Richard Dawkins used to be a Professor - God has no degrees whatsoever or education whatsoever.
(October 7, 2015 at 6:15 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote: 4. Richard Dawkins doesn't give a f*** about you. Your god - allegedly loves you and wants to be your boyfriend.

Whoa, wait a minute now. Nobody told me that
I do believe I'm starting to see this God dude in a different light!
(How's my hair look?)
Richard Dawkins would care if he knew I was real Sad
7. Dawkins has neither committed genocide nor commanded people to commit genocide.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 7, 2015 at 6:15 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote:

Please enlighten me on my violation of logic... And I wasn't being smug, just trying to be consistent. Am I incorrect in believing that logic/reason should be consistent?
(October 7, 2015 at 10:56 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Please enlighten me on my violation of logic...  And I wasn't being smug, just trying to be consistent.  Am I incorrect in believing that logic/reason should be consistent.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - was my point. You're comparing apples and oranges. That's not "consistent logic" - just childish "I know you are, but what am I?" kind of debating tactic.

If you really want to meet Richard Dawkins - you can. He has public appearances, book-signings and such. And there's little remarkable, or unbelievable about who he is and what he does. Plus - his theories regarding evolution are just as valid in the eyes of science, as they would be if Dawkins didn't actually exist.

No matter how hard one may want to - there is no confirmed way to meet god. And the claims that are being made about him are very outlandish and contrary to scientific understanding and common sense. And if he doesn't in fact exist - the vast majority of religious teachings is utterly useless and a giant waste of time.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 3977 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7925 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1725 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 4260 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 8343 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 17091 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 7761 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 3308 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Can anyone please refute these verses of Quran (or at least their interpretations)? despair1 34 6909 April 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  why there are homosexuals lions? truth search 24 4313 December 22, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ignoramus