Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false?
What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false?
Science is based on evidence, facts, and theories supported by evidence and fact.

So what exactly gives one religion the leg to stand on and say "this religion is true, the rest are false", when there is no evidence or fact to back up their claim?
Subscribe to Atheist News! Also, check out my latest video- Mass Effect Takes On Religion

https://www.youtube.com/c/AtheistNews
RE: What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false?
GOD'S WORD, HEATHEN! 
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false?
Our prophet can beat up your prophet
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 14, 2016 at 10:10 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Our prophet can beat up your prophet

Don't fux with Jesus, bro

Matthew 21:12
Quote:Then Jesus entered the temple[a] and drove out all who were selling and buying in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(November 14, 2016 at 10:01 pm)Casca Wrote: Science is based on evidence, facts, and theories supported by evidence and fact.

So what exactly gives one religion the leg to stand on and say "this religion is true, the rest are false", when there is no evidence or fact to back up their claim?

By and large, I don't we see too much of that 'out in the open' these days.  I think some denoms keep such criticisms in house, such as the one one of my sisses attends.  They get an occasional anti JW or anto Mormon sermon, but I don't think their float in the county fair parade would ever highlight such a viewpoint.

Recently the Omaha World Herald reported an outlying rural school district had some kind of assembly for their students about drunk driving (it's bad, m'kay) and afterwards apparently some of the folks who put on the program passed out some anti-Mormon tracts.  It garnered considerable negative attention.

And as for deeming a specific schism in the Christer orbit a 'false religion', it's pretty damn easy to do.

If they aren't handling timber rattlers or swilling polonium tea, or do allow menstruating females in the building on Sunday, I can guaranty, they ain't doin' it right.

I suppose it's even more fun with a schism like the Mormons to prove their falsity; they have quite a propensity of ignoring and/or changing virtually all their key (and minor) doctrines and then having had a brain fart along the way in regards to publishing for general distribution the incriminating paper trail they themselves generated on their faithlessness and perfidy.

For most other faiths, even if they do claim Biblical Literalism and Inerrancy, the ingrained habit of scripture cherry picking and Bible buffet does make pointing out the missed verse or dogmatic contradiction perhaps a little less stinging as a rebuke.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 14, 2016 at 10:01 pm)Casca Wrote: Science is based on evidence, facts, and theories supported by evidence and fact.

Arrogance.
here's another one to trip up even the most hard core faithful:

of course they are gung-ho on the 10 Commandments, but point out when Jesus was asked to list the ones to follow, He omitted 4 of them. Ever hear a Christer talk about the 6 approved by Christ Commandments ?? Hell no.

And then if you ask about the one Jesus muffed . . . .

Group delusional disorder with aspects of both grandeur and persecution.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It's the same thing as thinking our opinions/ideologies are the right ones over the others. That's not to say we shouldn't respect others' opinions, but our opinions wouldn't be our opinion if we didn't think they were right lol. Religion is the same way. Obviously I think Christianity is right over Judaism or Islam, etc... if I didn't think that, then I wouldn't be Christian.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I don't know how it doesn't bother more people. I think discovering all the other religions would be the wake up call for me if I was raised that way.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1196 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1506 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  When believing false things is comforting Foxaèr 45 5005 September 26, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Raw Story gives a voice to atheists.... Brian37 8 1599 October 17, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  If God of Abraham books are false Smain 6 2029 June 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3692 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  This Will Cause Believers To Lose Their Shit Minimalist 36 8474 March 30, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Christians and Their Homework! chimp3 78 8975 March 6, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Republicans seem hell bent on proving their god does not exist Foxaèr 7 2204 December 23, 2017 at 4:23 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  How and why can people ignore their God’s immoral ways? Greatest I am 129 18786 November 27, 2017 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Cod