Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 1:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
RE: Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
(October 8, 2015 at 12:15 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: This is GC ... pathetic is par for the course.

Don't be so silly.

Pathetic is an improvement.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 8, 2015 at 1:18 am)Nestor Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 12:51 am)Godschild Wrote: I say "if' for your benefit, if we as Christians are correct in what we believe then Dawkins is calling millions to an eternal punishment, a punishment far worse than wiping out mankind. Dawkins teaches people in the way of their punishment. If we're right then Dawkins is your enemy.

GC
Unless,  of course, your God has a moral conscience and rewards sincere disbelief that is arrived at following a will to acquire knowledge and make as much of a maximally informed decision as is humanly possible about the truth of his existence (which Dawkins' writings happily encourage), and punishes those who blindly commit to faith on the basis of ill-advised intentions. If that's the case, it is you who might have cause for concern...

Dawkins teaches against the word of God and God, Dawkins teaches sincere disbelief, Dawkins is not your judge. God teaches faith through Christ, God teaches obedience through His word, God is judge of all and thus His Word is what we will be judged by, I hold to what God teaches so I have no concerns.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(October 8, 2015 at 3:59 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 1:18 am)Nestor Wrote: Unless,  of course, your God has a moral conscience and rewards sincere disbelief that is arrived at following a will to acquire knowledge and make as much of a maximally informed decision as is humanly possible about the truth of his existence (which Dawkins' writings happily encourage), and punishes those who blindly commit to faith on the basis of ill-advised intentions. If that's the case, it is you who might have cause for concern...

Dawkins teaches against the word of God and God, Dawkins teaches sincere disbelief, Dawkins is not your judge. God teaches faith through Christ, God teaches obedience through His word, God is judge of all and thus His Word is what we will be judged by, I hold to what God teaches so I have no concerns.

GC

Just in time to verify the truth of Stimbo's last post! I couldn't have scripted it better.
Godschild Wrote:Dawkins teaches against the word of God [...]

[Image: s8zjr.jpg]
(October 8, 2015 at 3:59 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(October 8, 2015 at 1:18 am)Nestor Wrote: Unless,  of course, your God has a moral conscience and rewards sincere disbelief that is arrived at following a will to acquire knowledge and make as much of a maximally informed decision as is humanly possible about the truth of his existence (which Dawkins' writings happily encourage), and punishes those who blindly commit to faith on the basis of ill-advised intentions. If that's the case, it is you who might have cause for concern...

GC

It's possible what's going on is that you're actually holding to what you like to think God teaches.
I have often wondered whether, if there is a God, he's not completely pissed at the Christians for claiming to speak for him, and making him look like an ignorant, semi-competent, petulant, and tyrannical psychopath.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 8, 2015 at 12:51 am)Godschild Wrote:
(October 7, 2015 at 10:12 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: 7. Dawkins has neither committed genocide nor commanded people to commit genocide.

I say "if' for your benefit, if we as Christians are correct in what we believe then Dawkins is calling millions to an eternal punishment, a punishment far worse than wiping out mankind. Dawkins teaches people in the way of their punishment. If we're right then Dawkins is your enemy.

GC

Isn't there an "Anti-Pascal's Wager" filter that can be installed on this site?

Seriously, GC, after how long you've been here, that you are still unable to see the flaws in this argument, is pretty disappointing. But pretty predictable.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 8, 2015 at 4:12 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: I have often wondered whether, if there is a God, he's not completely pissed at the Christians for claiming to speak for him, and making him look like an ignorant, semi-competent, petulant, and tyrannical psychopath.

I think he needs to stop being afraid of confrontation then and come out and say something to them.
(October 8, 2015 at 12:51 am)Godschild Wrote:

Kitan Wrote:The BIG if.

The big "if" was for unbelievers like you, in case you actually missed my meaning which you always do.

Kitan Wrote:That's life, bitch.

Nothing is certain.

That may be the way you want to live life, for me many things in life are certain, including God.

Kitan Wrote:You cannot know for certain what will happen in your life one moment from reading this.

You're right sort of, there are things I am certain of from this moment of writing, I will be with God forever no matter what happens.

Kitan Wrote:The fact that there exists these religions that claim to know what is beyond with no evidence to back up their claims is the true problem.

I agree with you to some extent, there are religions that claim this, but they have no God to prove it to them. On the other hand God has proven to me without a doubt He's real and what He says is the absolute truth, he's also said that there are no other God's and because His word is truth, well... there are no other Gods.

Kitan Wrote:Living life is the true freedom, the true meaning of life.

What makes you believe I do not live life, God put us here to do just that, not to sit on a log. People in this world are starving to death, we were put here to help them, our fellow man is our responsibility, yet for the most part man has failed the less fortunate of mankind. One of the real true meanings of life is to be there for those in real need. But I get what you mean, live life and screw everyone else.

Kitan Wrote:Anyone can make all sorts of reasons why life cannot be enjoyed, which seems to always be the religious way of life.

Really, what a shallow mind you possess, sin isn't living a fruitful life and in the end will bring you and many around you misery. I enjoy life without your ideas of living life and enjoy do it. If the worldly way is what you want God has said it's your choice, God also says that those who live a fruitful and joyful life with Him will be truly happy.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Great, you've found a drug that you feel works for you. More power to you and I would never take that away from you.

But by the same token, you don't get to deride others who don't happen to share your addiction. We are not untermenschen because of this difference in ideology and you don't automatically have the right to tell us we are because of yours, without forfeiting the right not to have us return the favour.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 3977 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7925 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1725 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 4260 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 8343 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 17090 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 7760 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 3308 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Can anyone please refute these verses of Quran (or at least their interpretations)? despair1 34 6909 April 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  why there are homosexuals lions? truth search 24 4313 December 22, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ignoramus