Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 6:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists interpret bible verses
RE: Atheists interpret bible verses
And?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 9, 2015 at 2:46 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Tolkien was a prominent Christian and his writings reflect it every bit as much as C. S. Lewis. Just thought you should know.

[Image: sau5k.jpg]
sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
Crossless1 Wrote:Great. Now you're going to equivocate "faith". If you don't understand the difference between reasonable belief (e.g., an apparently undamaged chair will hold my weight if I sit on it) and unreasonable belief (e.g., these ancient stories are true because they say so), then you are too stupid to bother trying to have a conversation with.

But you do understand the difference, don't you, troll?

The Bible is the claim, not the evidence for the claim.

you sure your parents are actually your parents?

You sure you comprehend degrees of certainty? Because if you don't, there's no point in having this conversation.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(October 9, 2015 at 1:53 pm)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
(October 9, 2015 at 12:31 pm)Irrational Wrote: Said by a human being who didn't know better. Don't let him scare you into thinking this is true.
^ said by a human being who didn't know better. Don't let him scare you into thinking this is false.

That makes no sense. Let who scare me into thinking there's no such scary place?

You don't put much thought into your responses, do you?
sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:How can you stand being so intellectually dishonest?

Seriously. You made a claim about the KJV that is demonstrably untrue, and we demonstrated it. Yet you continue to speak of the KJV as if it is the best translation, when all modern scholars know better. It's a master accomplisment of English literature, and remains the most beautifully poetic translation ever made (in my opinion, shared by many others), but it's actually a bad translation, because the people who translated it didn't know what we know today about the language they were translating, having far less access in the 17th century to ancient documents which helped to understand the idioms and word usage of first century Greek/Aramaic and ancient Hebrew than the Anglicans had when they made that translation. Yet you see changes not as improvements  but alterations, as if the KJV can be the only right one, even though we know that the KJV was done with a specific agenda.

You are bordering on being a liar, having seen that kind of thing and still repeating what you began here thinking. Also, you falsely represent atheism and skepticism as things that they are not, and then just cover your ears and hum when we tell you what it really is and what we really think.

You try to martyr yourself by thinking that we hate you for your belief, when it's really just sadness that you have swallowed an ideology of Bible Idolatry that blinds you to very basic rational thinking processes. Truly, people like you make me very sad.

I cannot hate you, I can only mourn for what you have done to your own mind.

Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God
read the KJV bible yourself and if you seek God and ask if He is real, He will reveal Himself to you.
but if you don't seek and blindly reject then so be it

Why are you sad? I was miserable as an atheist and I'm literally the happiest ive been now that I accepted the truth. no need to be sad over my beliefs.

I find that you know what is truth since you say im a liar

I read the KJV cover-to-cover, seeking God. Then I read it again in a modern English version, hoping that I had misunderstood something because of ye Old English. Then I stopped being a Christian, because of what I read.
sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:A liar is someone who, when confronted with very basic facts (like the clear knowledge that the KJV was made to suit a political and religious--the same thing, since the Church of England was the official government religion--agenda), yet continues to say the same original claim that the KJV is the only "true" translation, and all the others  have agendas. It's absurd and sad.

It's funny you should say that; I was happy as a Christian, until I realized the lies I was being told by the Church leadership, at which point I became very upset, because I am a fundamentally (no pun intended) honest person. When I realized that I no longer believed, I felt a relief and newfound sense of wonder at the world/universe around me, since I can now look at things as they are, instead of having to bend reality to fit a book's preset ideas about that world.

I don't "know what is truth" in all cases, but I'm not going to pretend I know truth when I don't, and I'll honestly admit when I have made a mistake or misunderstood something. That's intellectual honesty. So is calling a falsehood a falsehood, and a person who speaks falsehood a liar.

how can you say you were a Christian when you don't understand the gospel
its a relief to think that life was an accident?
it should be depressing to think we're all molecules in motion and nothing else
you put your faith in whatever research you found against the kjv then

How can you say he wasn't a Christian when you don't know him?
Life may be inevitable under the right circumstances, but how it makes me feel is irrelevant to whether or not it is true.
It takes a special kind of thinking to observe yourself and nature and be dissatisfied with it if it isn't supernatural, too.
The KJV falls under its own weight, without needing to be compared with anything else.
(October 9, 2015 at 3:15 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: I read the KJV cover-to-cover, seeking God.

Aww that sucks. What a waste of time I heard  Metacritic only gave it 0.2/10.
Broke records for lowest score ever. After the Book of Mormon of course - That got negative 9 million/10
(October 7, 2015 at 11:05 pm)sinnerdaniel94 Wrote: Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I just find it kind of ironic, considering that the Christian majority gets away with all kinds of stuff in America, today,
unlike the Atheist minority...or gay people, who have to fight tooth and claw just to have the same rights as Christians,

Or muslims, in the rest of world, who complain that everyone is prejudiced against them,
when in fact we are making all kinds of concessions for them,

and ISIS and Boko Haram get away with unbelievable atrocities.

The way of Religion IS the broad path.  Gimme a fuckin break.
(October 9, 2015 at 3:22 pm)Evie Wrote:
(October 9, 2015 at 3:15 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: I read the KJV cover-to-cover, seeking God.

Aww that sucks. What a waste of time I heard  Metacritic only gave it 0.2/10.
Broke records for lowest score ever. After the Book of Mormon of course - That got negative 9 million/10

Amazon gives the best reviews... http://www.dailydawdle.com/2012/09/13-hi...f.html?m=1
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
sinnerdaniel94 Wrote:
Quote:they want to make the kjv look unreliable because they don't want you to read it!
there are no contradictions in the kjv

1st Kings 4:26    And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen.

2nd Chronicles 9:25     And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses for chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 467 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2260 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Favorite Bible verses? FatAndFaithless 3 1211 July 17, 2014 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  What do Atheists believe the Bible as? TheCarlisle 138 69323 July 22, 2011 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  The atheists bible. downbeatplumb 18 5173 April 21, 2011 at 4:04 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Any ideas on how to get "wall art" bible verses taken down in a small office? ssorj 14 5400 January 20, 2011 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Dotard
  Evidence Verses Faith Daystar 32 19196 December 3, 2008 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet