Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 3:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
RE: Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
(October 15, 2015 at 10:34 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(October 15, 2015 at 9:04 pm)Godschild Wrote:

Well, well. Someone took a "big boy" poop...

Anyone willing to wade though this should have their head examined...

Without a doubt, my friend. Without a doubt. Wink
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 16, 2015 at 12:46 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:

I don't know how you had the energy to read that huge wall of garbage. Let alone respond to it.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(October 16, 2015 at 12:46 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: I'm not offended at the delay. I get it. Life comes first! But I am  offended that you keep insisting on telling me what I "really" think about God, and why I "really" left the faith, in order to justify your prejudices, but want to get mad when I state the wrong version of Christianity, mistaking your particular view for another branch of the faith, or citing doctrine in a way that doesn't suit your esoteric shibboleth wording. And in truth, you genuinely pissed me off when you tried to suggest that I'm a White Supremacist sympathizer. I had to really take a moment to breathe and force myself to give you the benefit of the doubt that you really could have read what I said that  inaccurately, and legitimately come to such an awful and incorrect conclusion.

Patience of a fucking saint (pardon the pun) dude......cap doffed.
alpha male Wrote:
Delicate Wrote:A common claim about Christianity is "There are so many interpretations of the Bible! How can you know if any of it is true!"

What people who make this claim don't realize is that the differences over interpretation account for a minuscule fraction of what the Bible really says. So, while the Bible's stance on certain issues might not be wholly precise, the main claims are pretty clear. 

For instance, it's pretty clear, not just from the Bible, but from historical record, that there was a man named Jesus. The Bible is pretty clear about most of his claims, and the basic facts of his life, etc.

The problem with people who make this claim is the overly broad and inaccurate generalizations.

The vast majority of discovered Biblical texts are for the most part identical to each other, and the minor discrepancies that do exist are over things like grammar and prepositions (like "on" versus "upon").

What knowledgeable atheists can rationally affirm is that only certain parts of the Bible might be ambiguous. The others are more or less clear.

Yes, atheists frequently say there's 38,000 Christian denominations, or whatever the number is that month. But, over 90% of those accept the apostle's creed.

Everyone who's bothered to check how many denominations there are says that, it's not a peculiarly atheist claim. I'd be interested to know how you determined the percentage that accept the creed, though I don't particularly doubt that it's (roughly) true.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Even if it were true, it still leaves around ten percent that don't follow the creed. That's almost four thousand denominations to account for.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
alpha male Wrote:
Minimalist Wrote:So what?
So why do atheists frequently bring up the number of denominations? It's disingenuous to assert that it's a problem, then when it's defended, pretend like no one thought it was a problem.

That's really what you think Minimalist was saying with his two words? It's clear the creed isn't enough glue to stop all the splitting.
Minimalist Wrote:
alpha male Wrote:So why do atheists frequently bring up the number of denominations? It's disingenuous to assert that it's a problem, then when it's defended, pretend like no one thought it was a problem.

To point out to you fools how you can't even agree among yourselves.  It's amusing to us.  One god but 40,000 religions.

Nothing dumber than a xtian.

Christians aren't particularly dumb. They just use their intelligence to justify continuing to believe what they already believe. Almost everyone does that, to some degree. As a social species, we largely use our brains to maintain our relationships, and continuing to believe what those closest to us believe is helpful for that.
TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:
RoadRunner79 Wrote:I find much in this thread very re-assuring!

It was very amusing one time, I was discussing with an atheist and started using the same tactics and reasoning that he was using against the Bible and God, against some of his arguments.  Needless to say, the alledged Dr. Krauss still hasn't showed up at my house to show me a universe popping into existence from nothing, nor has "empty chair" Richard Dawkins given me a call either.  So apparently I'm to assume on this alone, that their stories are just "fairy tales".  

I had a guilty satisfaction when he called my arguments "silly".

If your atheist friend was trying to use the "God should pop up on my command, or strike me down" argument in anything other than an ironic/rhetorical context, then he's an idiot.  On the other hand, the "argument from silence" is a much more nuanced and serious position.

And if you think that we "assume on this alone, that their stories are just 'fairy tales'", then you're  an idiot.

I gave the benefit of the doubt and assumed his or her post was a joke, in which case I thought it was kind of funny.
RoadRunner79 Wrote:
Homeless Nutter Wrote:Well, good for you. Isn't that why religion is so popular - because it allows dumb people to feel smug, through shameless violation of logic?

Here are some key differences between Richard Dawkins and your god, that may explain/clarify your confusion:
1. Richard Dawkins is not omnipotent, or omnipresent, as your god - allegedly - is.
2. Richard Dawkins doesn't claim to have any super-powers, that you claim your god has.
3. Dawkins' claims are disprovable - even though you can't disprove them. It's impossible to disprove an imaginary being, like god that can be redefined at any time to suit the needs of its proponent - with no concern for testability, or even consistency.
4. Richard Dawkins doesn't give a f*** about you. Your god - allegedly loves you and wants to be your boyfriend.

Please enlighten me on my violation of logic...  And I wasn't being smug, just trying to be consistent.  Am I incorrect in believing that logic/reason should be consistent?

I'm very disappointed that you were being serious. I thought your post was supposed to be ironic.
RoadRunner79 Wrote:
Quote:It would seem that I don't need to do any of those things... I'll just make claims of myth and magic and have a cheerleading squad to back me up.

To disprove evolution? As a reply, that does not make sense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 3977 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7925 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1725 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 4260 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 8343 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 17091 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 7761 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 3308 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Can anyone please refute these verses of Quran (or at least their interpretations)? despair1 34 6909 April 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  why there are homosexuals lions? truth search 24 4313 December 22, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ignoramus