Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 5:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.71 Average
Member Photos
RE: Member Photos
Steampunk is awesome - I've been intrigued by it for a long time. I think I had a thread about it somewhere...
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RobbyPants - I've never tried any steampunk cosplay, but it definitely looks awesome. You're right, though, my inability to grow consistent facial hair stands in my way. Damnit! You should totally go for it, though.

TSQ - The part I'm trying to work out in my head is why the picture of you reacting to the cold by putting on the head-scarf pushes psychological buttons in my head. I stared at that picture for waaaaay longer than is probably healthy! Hehe.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

It's alluring that's why Wink
(November 2, 2015 at 9:57 am)thesummerqueen Wrote:
(November 2, 2015 at 2:27 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: If you haven't already, you ought to take up writing. You not only convey your message clearly, you do so with lovely imagery and a fine sense of simile.

Alas, I am a good conversationalist, a passable essayist, and a terrible blogger/any-other-kind-of-writer.

Forgive my disagreement, ma'am. Smile

Summer: Humility is another very attractive quality. I am certain you are still a far better blogger/any-other-kind-of-writer than I for instance Smile
(November 2, 2015 at 11:18 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: TSQ - The part I'm trying to work out in my head is why the picture of you reacting to the cold by putting on the head-scarf pushes psychological buttons in my head. I stared at that picture for waaaaay longer than is probably healthy! Hehe.

Out of curiosity from a photographer's perspective, a friend of mine and I worked it out. It's the eyes. If you can get the eyes right in a photograph, it's all over.

(November 2, 2015 at 3:40 pm)Evie Wrote: Summer: Humility is another very attractive quality. I am certain you are still a far better blogger/any-other-kind-of-writer than I for instance Smile

I prefer to think of is as "being realistic." I need the stimulation of conversation to inspire the writing - it doesn't flow on its own.
It's all comparative though - compared to some you're an amazing writer. I am certain you're far better than me for example.

It's all relative Smile
Yeah, but as Teddy Roosevelt said, "Comparison is the thief of joy."

Comparing yourself to others as "better or worse" without worrying whether or not you have substance or skill in the first place is how you find yourself in a emotional funhouse of mirrors.
@ Summer Very true but I'm not talking about comparing on a regular basis I'm just talking about the fact that it's all relative so it's not as simple as one being particularly bad or good at something.

I'm not really disagreeing per se, just offering another perspective.

Indeed comparison can cause much misery.
(November 2, 2015 at 4:26 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote:
(November 2, 2015 at 11:18 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: TSQ - The part I'm trying to work out in my head is why the picture of you reacting to the cold by putting on the head-scarf pushes psychological buttons in my head. I stared at that picture for waaaaay longer than is probably healthy! Hehe.

Out of curiosity from a photographer's perspective, a friend of mine and I worked it out. It's the eyes. If you can get the eyes right in a photograph, it's all over.

A good point. And quite a relief! I thought I was going to have to dump my Beloved and find me a nice babushka. Tongue

The eyes are indeed the key to a photograph. Probably why I'm wearing shades in mine. Hehe.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. Whateverist 1189 137650 May 3, 2024 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  new member asswriter 8 518 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  New member MistMuse 7 502 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 1151 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 1009 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 723 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1601 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1308 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2306 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2891 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one