Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 6:19 am

Poll: :s
This poll is closed.
I'm a vegetarian
6.25%
2 6.25%
I'm a vegan
9.38%
3 9.38%
I'm a meat eater
59.38%
19 59.38%
Other
12.50%
4 12.50%
Fuck all polls >:c
12.50%
4 12.50%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veganism & vegetarianism
RE: Veganism & vegetarianism
(November 24, 2015 at 10:54 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(November 24, 2015 at 5:27 pm)TheMonster Wrote: I[t] does not have to be meat. I will be quite content with seafood as well.

Why is the flesh of fish not considered meat?  I've always wondered that.

Well the common definition of meat is "the flesh of an animal, typically a mammal or bird, as food". So it excludes all fish and invertebrates which live in the sea. But as for why they are not included in the definition, I do not know. May be because the terrestrial animals taste different and are less healthy? Dont know!

If you are referring to people's food choices, then pescetarians are vegetarian, but eat sea food. So i guess the distinction makes sense for them?
(November 25, 2015 at 4:29 am)TheMonster Wrote:
(November 24, 2015 at 10:54 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Why is the flesh of fish not considered meat?  I've always wondered that.

Well the common definition of meat is "the flesh of an animal, typically a mammal or bird, as food". So it excludes all fish and invertebrates which live in the sea. But as for why they are not included in the definition, I do not know. May be because the terrestrial animals taste different and are less healthy? Dont know!

If you are referring to people's food choices, then pescetarians are vegetarian, but eat sea food. So i guess the distinction makes sense for them?

That just trips me out. It's like anti-fish bigotry!

That's a weird definition, I've not heard that before. I usually class fish as meat.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 25, 2015 at 4:16 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Yeah, that exchange is kinda my point.  You walk in swinging some unknown credentials about, as if we should all kowtow to your alleged CV; meanwhile, you write shit that, like in the vaccine thread, reveals a thin knowledge. I'm not talking only about this thread; I don't pay much attention to nutrition outside what my body tells me. I do pay attention to my bullshit detector. And -- I do pay attention to some asshole who pretends to know it all, hectors others about victim-blaming, goes on to do the same thing himself, and then cloaks himself in self-proclaimed glory. Who here knows anything about you other than what you post? And based on your posting, why should anyone think you are anything other than a below-average thinker who clearly has burnished his own ego? Do you really think no one sees through it?

Well clearly you missed this post of mine. I'm about 80% or so through the nutrition major component now.

(November 25, 2015 at 4:16 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Listen, kid -- everyone already knows you have a high opinion of yourself.  You don't need to emphasize that anymore. Everyone also knows that for all your alleged book knowledge, you haven't learnt how to suss things out. You haven't learnt how to apply your knowledge to the real world, and you certainly haven't learnt a goddamned thing about how to interact with people.

I'm sure you're impressing yourself as you press the "submit" button, but quite frankly, you and your insecurities are transparent. You want to impress folks with your knowledge? Why don't you start with a knowledge of people first? That way, you won't look like a raging cunt.

You have a nice day now.

All I point out, repeatedly, is that the vegetarians and vegans in this thread are not experts on health. Neither am I. They aren't qualified to give a meaningful opinion about suitible human diets either. Neither am I - which is why I've repeatedly said there are only two diets recommended by dieticians for general use: the consumer guidelines (AGHE) and DASH. Both emphasise meat as ~2-3 serves per day (150-225 grams). That is less than the general western diet, but it's a long way from veganisim. Further the recommendation is to eat fish at least 2 times a week - it lowers blood pressure, is good for the heart, and prevents cancers.

I have referenced what I've said.

You can disagree all you want. What most dieticians would like to see is people eating more fish, more vegetables, and much less discretionary foods.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
You clearly missed my point. I'll leave it to you, in your genius, to reread what I was saying.

Here's a hint: it's not about nutrition, numbnuts.

(November 24, 2015 at 10:47 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: When I look at the word "veganism", for the first half a second or whatever, I think it says "vagina".

man that fantasized affair with CM really got to you didn't it?  Wink
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
Aractus, why do you gotta take everything so seriously all the time? Chill out a bit.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Yeah add some weed to your diet man Smile
(November 25, 2015 at 3:04 am)Aractus Wrote: Yeah that's right, ignore the one person here semi-qualified on the issue, ass.

Hey Aractus, you are the king of asses here - at least among atheists. I don't blame Robvalue for having you on ignore. Your opinions are so fucked-up, I would have a hard time taking you seriously on any subject. Why don't you go play with the UFO crowd?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
[Image: Ron-Swanson-Questions-The-Mean-He-Has-Re...eation.jpg]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Animal rights, veganism and PETA Autumnlicious 80 17612 January 24, 2011 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious