Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 11:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent Design
RE: Intelligent Design
You would call that a design, I wouldn't. I'd call it an outcome.

More interesting would be an example of something you don't say is designed. You said not everything is designed.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 26, 2015 at 12:55 pm)robvalue Wrote: You would call that a design, I wouldn't. I'd call it an outcome.

More interesting would be an example of something you don't say is designed. You said not everything is designed.

An outcome which resembles a design. So basically a design.
The whole point of my argument was to show that our world was designed. If our world is designed and everything in it what makes you think there is an example for something that is not designed in our world?
And why are you asking for something that is not designed in our world? Does this mean you have accepted my example of instances of design in our world?
I'm going to have to give up I think. I just can't follow your use of language. If "looks designed" and "designed" mean the same thing, then I don't even know what your point is. Anything can "look designed" to any particular person. If you're saying reality looks designed to you, then I can't argue with that.

Yes, we design things. We come up with an idea, and shape things to that idea.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(December 26, 2015 at 12:53 pm)pool Wrote: @robvalue,

I thought about how you thought that a design can be achieved by random events is absurd.
Well it's not,

Consider the word "that".
Now consider a random event in which x number of 4 letter words is formed using random unrepeating letters, where each word is different from the words that were previously formed. After some x number you times you will get the word - "that".
See? A design achieved by random events.

Design is not what you have shown. What you have shown is you seeing words in random letters, that we can see words is a result of our brains interpreting the arrangement that way, not there being a design in the arrangement, you have the entire thing exactly the wrong way round.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Well put. Is it a design because "that" happens to be a word? Would it not be one if it wasn't?

If design is entirely subjective, then it's a rather meaningless criteria.

But Pool means something different to us by design; what exactly he means I'm still not sure. That's why I want an example of something that's not designed.

Index of my best videos
(December 26, 2015 at 1:04 pm)robvalue Wrote: I'm going to have to give up I think. I just can't follow your use of language. If "looks designed" and "designed" mean the same thing, then I don't even know what your point is. Anything can "look designed" to any particular person.

Yes, we design things. We come up with an idea, and shape things to that idea.

I don't understand. Why do you think that, "that" achieved from a set of random events doesn't resemble a design?

The "that" from the dictionary is intelligent design.
The "that" formed from random events is design formed by random events.

I'm also quite surprised how people can't find examples of design in our world.
2 Hydrogen atom and 1 oxygen atom forms water.
2 and 1 are the constraints, imposed rules if you will - which imply a design.
Water can't be formed from 3 hydrogen atom and 1 oxygen atom. Why? Because water is designed to be H2O.
Design. Design. Design. Why? Because Constraints. Constraints. Constraints.
Why is a statue a design? Because it has constraints. Constraints such as the shape,size,length,breadth of the nose, mouth etc.
A set of rules applied to anything would result in a design.
Wow I just came across a thought. Just now, as I was typing.

An intelligent design would mean an imposition of rules to a system by an intelligent being. How was the intelligent being designed? Through a bunch of constraints. And who formed these constraints - puts you in a loop.
However, a design achieved by random events wouldn't mean an imposition of rules to achieve the design, so an agent to impose the rules is not required.

Haha. I get it now. The constraints such as physical laws of our universe were formed by random events. So if there are more worlds out there their designs would be different which means their constraints would be different. Oh shit, wait a sec, that would also mean that a system with no constraints can be produced by a set of random events, which would then mean there maybe Gods in other worlds. Wait so what happens when a being with no constraints come to a world with constraints?
Hmm, a system with constraints would be "that" and one without it would be "zdlkj". If "zdlkj" came into "that" like "tzdlkjhat" then the system with constraints would no longer have any design or in other words cease to exist. What am I thinking? I need to get some sleep, it's late.
Okay ignore everything I said. I'm sleep and I'm talking thinking that don't makes sense, even to me..
(December 26, 2015 at 1:10 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(December 26, 2015 at 12:53 pm)pool Wrote: @robvalue,

I thought about how you thought that a design can be achieved by random events is absurd.
Well it's not,

Consider the word "that".
Now consider a random event in which x number of 4 letter words is formed using random unrepeating letters, where each word is different from the words that were previously formed. After some x number you times you will get the word - "that".
See? A design achieved by random events.

Design is not what you have shown. What you have shown is you seeing words in random letters, that we can see words is a result of our brains interpreting the arrangement that way, not there being a design in the arrangement, you have the entire thing exactly the wrong way round.

Wrong wrong. I'm not saying "that" achieved by random events have a design. I'm saying that it resembles a design.
(December 26, 2015 at 1:21 pm)pool Wrote:
(December 26, 2015 at 1:10 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Design is not what you have shown. What you have shown is you seeing words in random letters, that we can see words is a result of our brains interpreting the arrangement that way, not there being a design in the arrangement, you have the entire thing exactly the wrong way round.

Wrong wrong. I'm not saying "that" achieved by random events have a design. I'm saying that it resembles a design.

So?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

"Resembles a design" is a subjective judgement.

Anyone could theoretically design something to be like anything... if they had the power to do so. So if that's the kind of thing such a power does, it would "looks designed" to someone familiar with it, whether or not it was actually designed or just happened.

If nothing can "just happen" then we have a tautology.

Index of my best videos
(December 26, 2015 at 1:24 pm)robvalue Wrote: "Resembles a design" is a subjective judgement.

Nope. "alfkj" doesn't resemble a design. "boobs" resemble a design.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 3015 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  On Unbelief III. Deconstructing Arguments From Design Mudhammam 10 4091 December 24, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  [Video] What if I'm wrong about a intelligent designer? Secular Atheist 1 1216 September 28, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Dawkins' Necker Cube, Physical Determinism, Cosmic Design, and Human Intelligence Mudhammam 0 1695 August 28, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Is "discourse of the mind" evidence of design? Mudhammam 36 6454 July 14, 2014 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself? Artur Axmann 244 49323 June 8, 2014 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Chard
  Does intelligent design explain why... Unsure 23 8267 June 2, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Intelligent Design: Did you design your intelligent designer? Whateverist 6 2365 June 2, 2014 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Atheists aren't always intelligent or reasonable or rational TaraJo 16 6673 December 15, 2012 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Brian37
  YouTube: 5 Questions Every Intelligent Atheist MUST Answer Mr Camel 18 10313 August 5, 2010 at 1:55 am
Last Post: SleepingDemon