Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is "discourse of the mind" evidence of design?
Is "discourse of the mind" evidence of design?
So I just began reading Thomas Hobbes' epic Leviathan and this passage stood out to me as an intriguing angle from which to apply the design argument, in a way that I think is far more compelling than the standard version that looks to cosmology or biology. I'll quote the pertinent chapter at large; the parts I specifically found engaging are in bold.

Does "Discourse of the Mind," which "when it is governed by designee, is nothing but Seeking," suggest something of design inherent to some greater principle or function of nature that science hasn't yet articulated? Or does Natural Selection perfectly account for the leaps and bounds our species has acquired in terms of intelligence and "designed" structures of thought?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Is "discourse of the mind" evidence of design?
(July 13, 2014 at 2:06 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: So I just began reading Thomas Hobbes' epic Leviathan and this passage stood out to me as an intriguing angle from which to apply the design argument, in a way that I think is far more compelling than the standard version that looks to cosmology or biology. I'll quote the pertinent chapter at large; the parts I specifically found engaging are in bold.

Does "Discourse of the Mind," which "when it is governed by designee, is nothing but Seeking," suggest something of design inherent to some greater principle or function of nature that science hasn't yet articulated? Or does Natural Selection perfectly account for the leaps and bounds our species has acquired in terms of intelligence and "designed" structures of thought?

Dead philosophy does not nor will replace scientific method. DNA and natural selection explain our species and all life for that matter.
(July 13, 2014 at 2:25 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Dead philosophy does not nor will replace scientific method. DNA and natural selection explain our species and all life for that matter.

I don't disagree but might one argue that the scientific method, DNA, and natural selection are in some sense creations of a design within mind?

As of yet there is no answer to the question: "What must nature, including man, be like in order that science be possible at all...What must the world be like in order that man may know it?" (Thomas Kuhn).
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Is there some other way you could put this? I'm not sure from your post where design fits in.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
We live in a universe amenable to investigation. That a being capable of that investigation should arise strikes me not so much of evidence of design, but precisely what we should expect from natural selection.

Organisms evolve to fit their environment, and to adapt to changes in that environment: fishes in freshwater caves evolve to a lack of eyes; animals on savannahs evolve distance vision. Human beings evolve investigative abilities, because we need to be able to investigate the universe.

Had the universe been deliberately designed, and humans deliberately designed to investigate it, it seems that the investigation would have concluded millennia ago.

Why you, via Hobbes, seem to be advocating is really no different that typical creationist rhetoric which boils down to, 'I cannot understand this, therefore God is responsible for it.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 13, 2014 at 4:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Why you, via Hobbes, seem to be advocating is really no different that typical creationist rhetoric which boils down to, 'I cannot understand this, therefore God is responsible for it.'

Boru

I suppose it might be more apt to say that simple basic mechanisms can result in configurations that appear designed. Is that an arbitrary assertion put forth by human brains or does some genuinely designed function--the struggle for survival, say--play a role? And could that be reducible at some point in the past into something like a dumb, unintelligent, single rule? That does seems plausible in other areas, such as the breakdown of complex organisms into lesser (but still) complex individual cells and then atoms and so forth, so I suppose that runs counter to my point on design, and is even likely typically recognized as so.

Perhaps Hobbes would extend something like that to mean a Divine being, and the OP was phrased along the lines of standard design arguments, but I tend to think design, or the appearance of in nature, can be discussed irrespective of a personal or incorporeal designer.
Trouble is finding anything in nature that even has the appearance of design.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Studied Hobbes one year ago for political science, but I have never read the "Leviathan", I didn't enjoy Hobbes' ideas and perspective quite much. To answer your question, I don't think there is proof for design, natural selection fits perfectly.

(July 13, 2014 at 5:30 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Trouble is finding anything in nature that even has the appearance of design.

The theist could make the case of a tree being proof of intelligent design..
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(July 13, 2014 at 3:02 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:
(July 13, 2014 at 2:25 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Dead philosophy does not nor will replace scientific method. DNA and natural selection explain our species and all life for that matter.

I don't disagree but might one argue that the scientific method, DNA, and natural selection are in some sense creations of a design within mind?

As of yet there is no answer to the question: "What must nature, including man, be like in order that science be possible at all...What must the world be like in order that man may know it?" (Thomas Kuhn).

Please stop. This is bullshit. A hurricane does not need Poseidon as a cause. Nor does evolution or the universe need a cognition to start it. "All this" is a result of natural laws, not products manufactured by magical beings, cognitions or entities.

The world does not have to be what we want. We have to adapt ourselves through observation and testing and peer review. That is how we gain better understanding. Don't add superfluous bullshit woo to it.
And as far as design goes, I'm not even remotely an engineer. If I can look at something in the natural world and come up with a better design for it, then that something clearly isn't the design of a higher power.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2484 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3375 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1660 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4792 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8143 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2888 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1050 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2603 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 50548 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 24286 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet