Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 2:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists' Attitude?
RE: Atheists' Attitude?
(January 12, 2016 at 2:59 pm)Losty Wrote: [Image: 55GalDrumAnalLube.jpg]
[Image: bulbs.jpg]

(January 13, 2016 at 5:50 am)Delicate Wrote:
(January 12, 2016 at 1:42 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: Morning blessings one and all!

I just wonder if you could help me understand a certain "attitude" I notice from a lot of atheists, including Hitchens, Dawkins and other luminaries.

Not all atheists are this way, but it seems there is a presumptuous certainty from a lot of them.

They seem so convinced there is no God, and seek fit to make fun of and belittle those who just want to believe. There seems to be sort of a strain of intolerance, and an inability to accept they could possibly be wrong ( that's why they are atheists not agnostics Wink !)

I see this hatred and intolerance toward theists manifest in different, sometimes petty ways. From the uppity secular group that wants the public nativity scene down, to the professor expelled for daring to teach alternative theories on life, to the student suspended for wearing a "I Heart  Jesus " t-shirt.

It's like some atheists... just don't like people who are different from them.  Undecided . Sometimes the intolerance gets to be downright hateful and angry.

A dear friend of mine from church was at a gay pride parade this summer. He was just there to talk to the homosexuals gathered, to give them a "different" or "diverse" take on their lifestyle and their consequences. Instead of treating him with respect and dignity the gays ( and one scary lesbian!!!) screamed at him, spat at him and said he was a "creepy fascist" and should "fudge off!"

You atheists know more than I do. Where does this attitude come from? Shouldn't we all be able to get along and exchange ideas peacefully?

Atheists seem so smart... but so provinical and limited as well.. I really would like some clarification please Undecided

Good points raised here.

Frankly I think atheist fundamentalism is a big part of the problem.

This subcategory of atheists are unable to shine a skeptical, rational light on their own beliefs. As a result it becomes almost a religious dogma to them.

Many intelligent, moderate atheists find it embarrassing.

There should be enough lube in the barrel for the two of you, feel free to pick your own cactus.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(January 13, 2016 at 6:44 am)Stimbo Wrote:
(January 12, 2016 at 2:54 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: Kind of funny a Theist would post a sign like that, seing as how a Catholic priest came up with the theory https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Le...ected=true

I know you're not genuine and all that, but this does need addressing. Yes, Georges Lemaître was a catholic priest, and yes he proposed what became the Big Bang theory. What he didn't do was propose it in his capacity as a priest, but as a cosmologist and in response to - you'll love this - the evidence that the Universe is expanding. The great radio and film comedian Will Hay was also a well-respected amateur astronomer known for his many discoveries, but he didn’t make them wearing his figurative comedian hat. Strangely enough, it turns out that people are multifaceted animals.

If you actually read up on the history of the Big Bang model, as distinct from creationist websites or even wikipedia, you'll learn that it's filled with colourful and fascinating characters like Lemaître. I recommend Simon Singh's book Big Bang: the Most Important Scientific Discovery of all Time and why You Need to Know about it.

I've a great quote saved on my PC by the good priest in response to the then pope trying to claim the big bang as proof of god, which goes, essentially "Dear supreme pontiff, please stop talking shite about science, you're making a fool of yourself and more imporantly embarrassing me in front of my astrophysicist homies. If you don't stop, I will be forced to smack you upside the head. Your Servant, Georges Lemaitre Msgr." albeit more politely.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Whenever I hear a theist complain about atheist's attitude, I imagine them throwing rocks at a hornet's nest and then complaining about those mean ol' hornets when they get stung.

It makes me wonder, how far does the theist think you can marginalize someone before they push back?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
The smarter you get, the lower tolerance you have for stupid.

Just sayin'
I know this is probably a troll post by TrueChristian, but I'll respond anyway.

There are hateful, arrogant, intolerant people in every group and from all walks of life. Atheists are no exception, and we have all seen that on this very site. You don't need to tell us. The important thing is to not generalize, and to take each person individually as they are without assuming anything about them based on something as broad as belief or disbelief in God.

So, there is no answer to your question other than: there are extremists in every group, atheism is no different.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 13, 2016 at 10:38 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I know this is probably a troll post by TrueChristian...

Yes.  My brain has already been reprogrammed to read this username as TrollChristian.  I can't un-see it no matter how hard I try.
(January 13, 2016 at 10:45 am)mediocrates Wrote:
(January 13, 2016 at 10:38 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I know this is probably a troll post by TrueChristian...

Yes.  My brain has already been reprogrammed to read this username as TrollChristian.  I can't un-see it no matter how hard I try.

Yep. 

He's already admitted that he's practically an atheist anyway.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 13, 2016 at 10:58 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(January 13, 2016 at 10:45 am)mediocrates Wrote: Yes.  My brain has already been reprogrammed to read this username as TrollChristian.  I can't un-see it no matter how hard I try.

Yep. 

He's already admitted that he's practically an atheist anyway.

Soooo, his username is a misnomer?

That's all we need in this already complicated existance... an atheist with a christian name trolling atheist forums with inconsequential topics that he doesn't stick around to discuss.  Wacky
(January 13, 2016 at 9:53 am)Faith No More Wrote: Whenever I hear a theist complain about atheist's attitude, I imagine them throwing rocks at a hornet's nest and then complaining about those mean ol' hornets when they get stung.

It makes me wonder, how far does the theist think you can marginalize someone before they push back?

Chris, the owner of the erstwhile EvilBible forums, used to have this anaolgy. He likened them to someone going into a hardcore biker bar, throwing their weight around and yelling about how all bikers are violent, intolerant thugs; then waking up in hospital a week later saying how he was obviously right.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I suppose sometimes Christians can be a bit too... foreward.

But it's just.. sometimes it seems unprovoked from the non-believers.

Look at the reaction this woman gets on youtube. She only expressed her opinion but got hate for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLUwNUg4rTA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2236 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet