Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists' Attitude?
Atheists' Attitude?
Morning blessings one and all!

I just wonder if you could help me understand a certain "attitude" I notice from a lot of atheists, including Hitchens, Dawkins and other luminaries.

Not all atheists are this way, but it seems there is a presumptuous certainty from a lot of them.

They seem so convinced there is no God, and seek fit to make fun of and belittle those who just want to believe. There seems to be sort of a strain of intolerance, and an inability to accept they could possibly be wrong ( that's why they are atheists not agnostics Wink !)

I see this hatred and intolerance toward theists manifest in different, sometimes petty ways. From the uppity secular group that wants the public nativity scene down, to the professor expelled for daring to teach alternative theories on life, to the student suspended for wearing a "I Heart  Jesus " t-shirt.

It's like some atheists... just don't like people who are different from them.  Undecided . Sometimes the intolerance gets to be downright hateful and angry.

A dear friend of mine from church was at a gay pride parade this summer. He was just there to talk to the homosexuals gathered, to give them a "different" or "diverse" take on their lifestyle and their consequences. Instead of treating him with respect and dignity the gays ( and one scary lesbian!!!) screamed at him, spat at him and said he was a "creepy fascist" and should "fudge off!"

You atheists know more than I do. Where does this attitude come from? Shouldn't we all be able to get along and exchange ideas peacefully?

Atheists seem so smart... but so provinical and limited as well.. I really would like some clarification please Undecided
RE: Atheists' Attitude?
[Image: giphy.gif]
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
This atheist doesn't care about your beliefs or your god until you make me care about it, usually by shoving it in my face.

If theists kept their god in their pants, or indeed accepted that others may believe in other gods or indeed none without the need to resort to exclusivist discourse and behaviour, you'd find a lot less people being so vocal.

That said, belittling someone's beliefs and opinions is perfectly acceptable. If you take it to your heart, the problem is with you. Nobody has a right not to be offended, and you'd find less people laughing at your beliefs if you stopped having such ridiculous ones (not aiming this at you POE, just in general).

Your points about us being convinced of 'no God' is a straw man and I kindly invite you to either read up on the actual positions held by individuals in this board or fuck off to whatever land you POEs come from. I'd also invite you read up on what secularism actually is, too.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(January 12, 2016 at 1:42 pm)TrueChristian Wrote: Morning blessings one and all!

I just wonder if you could help me understand a certain "attitude" I notice from a lot of atheists, including Hitchens, Dawkins and other luminaries.

Not all atheists are this way, but it seems there is a presumptuous certainty from a lot of them.

They seem so convinced there is no God, and seek fit to make fun of and belittle those who just want to believe. There seems to be sort of a strain of intolerance, and an inability to accept they could possibly be wrong ( that's why they are atheists not agnostics Wink !)

I see this hatred and intolerance toward theists manifest in different, sometimes petty ways. From the uppity secular group that wants the public nativity scene down, to the professor expelled for daring to teach alternative theories on life, to the student suspended for wearing a "I Heart  Jesus " t-shirt.

It's like some atheists... just don't like people who are different from them.  Undecided . Sometimes the intolerance gets to be downright hateful and angry.

A dear friend of mine from church was at a gay pride parade this summer. He was just there to talk to the homosexuals gathered, to give them a "different" or "diverse" take on their lifestyle and their consequences. Instead of treating him with respect and dignity the gays ( and one scary lesbian!!!) screamed at him, spat at him and said he was a "creepy fascist" and should "fudge off!"

You atheists know more than I do. Where does this attitude come from? Shouldn't we all be able to get along and exchange ideas peacefully?

Atheists seem so smart... but so provinical and limited as well.. I really would like some clarification please Undecided

Everything you state in your posts is about Christians pushing their views upon people around them and you are oblivious to it while acting shocked when people react negatively to your proselytizing. Need I remind you that you are on an atheist forum tossing your accusations out, should we just silently sit by and let this continue? I think not.
Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
There is no core belief in atheism. some are gnostic atheists, and some are agnostic. Gnostic atheists are certain there is no god, and are not afraid to tell you this. A problem arises when it comes to a god, is that the more specific you are about something, the easier it is to disprove. that's why some people like to argue some vague definition of a deity, and once you've admitted it's possible, they go straight to their particular theistic god being the one true god.

The universe needed a creature, therefore Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. Some people will call you out on this hardcore.

Now some atheists can be intolerant. They see politicians in America trying to turn this country into a theocracy, and some preachers saying round up and kill all the gays, and stuff like that, and they fight back hard. Christianity, as well as the other Abrahamic religions have a history of violence. Now that christians have less control in the world, they see minority groups fighting against them, and want to cry persecution.

If I see atheists rounding up people and shooting them because they are christians, or trying to pass laws saying all christians should be killed, then I'll worry about atheism going too far. Until then, I'm more worried about theocrats than atheists.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Morning salutations one and all!

I just wonder if you could help me understand a certain "attitude" I notice from a lot of Christians, including Robertson, Graham, and other luminaries.

Not all Christians are this way, but it seems there is a presumptuous certainty from a lot of them.

They seem so convinced there is a God, and seek fit to make fun of and belittle those who don't believe. There seems to be sort of a strain of intolerance, and an inability to accept they could possibly be wrong ( that's why they are Christians and not atheists Wink !)

I see this hatred and intolerance toward atheists manifest in different, sometimes petty ways. From the uppity Christian group that wants mandated prayer in public schools, to the professor expelled for daring to teach evolution, to the student suspended for wearing a "FSM" t-shirt.

It's like some Christians... just don't like people who are different from them.  Undecided . Sometimes the intolerance gets to be downright hateful and angry.

A dear friend of mine from class was at a gay pride parade this summer. He was just there to support the homosexuals gathered. Instead of treating him with respect and dignity the protesting Christians screamed at him, spat at him and said he was a "sinner" and would "burn in hell!"

You Christians know more than I do. Where does this attitude come from? Shouldn't we all be able to get along and exchange ideas peacefully?

Christians seem so smart... but so provinical and limited as well.. I really would like some clarification please Undecided

---

Now maybe you can understand.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
This trolling is weak.
Quote:They seem so convinced there is no God, and seek fit to make fun of and belittle those who just want to believe.

Why don't you examine those preposterous beliefs for an answer? 

I do not give a flying fuck about you or your beliefs.  But when you show up here acting like you have all the answers because of a poorly written book of ancient superstition you will hear about it. Long and loud.
Atheists' Attitude?
(January 12, 2016 at 1:47 pm)Pandæmonium Wrote: This atheist doesn't care about your beliefs or your god until you make me care about it, usually by shoving it in my face.

If theists kept their god in their pants, or indeed accepted that others may believe in other gods or indeed none without the need to resort to exclusivist discourse and behaviour, you'd find a lot less people being so vocal.

That said, belittling someone's beliefs and opinions is perfectly acceptable. If you take it to your heart, the problem is with you. Nobody has a right not to be offended, and you'd find less people laughing at your beliefs if you stopped having such ridiculous ones (not aiming this at you POE, just in general).

Your points about us being convinced of 'no God' is a straw man and I kindly invite you to either read up on the actual positions held by individuals in this board or fuck off to whatever land you POEs come from. I'd also invite you read up on what secularism actually is, too.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me what a Poe is??? Thanks [emoji18]
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
[Image: original1-e1387009051931.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet