Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 11:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explain atheism
RE: Explain atheism
(January 27, 2016 at 7:44 pm)ignoramus Wrote:
(January 27, 2016 at 5:13 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Out of curiosity, did you once post on the Star Trek.com forums?

Just being nosey.

I logged on there when Enterprise aired to express my disgust at the series!
Probably under Username Jimniki or unimatrix01

Most from memory begrudgingly agreed with me.

Yeah, that's when I first joined.

And I hung out mostly at the Enterprise forum.

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
Hey everyone I posted the thread about the near death experience I wanted to share with you all, which changed my life. Again in order to form a conclusion it's best to research the full spectrum, and even if you disagree or don't believe the experience happened, please still read it before making a conclusion.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-41204.html
(January 27, 2016 at 1:15 am)scoobysnack Wrote: Hi everyone,

Hi.

(January 27, 2016 at 1:15 am)scoobysnack Wrote: Just joined, and I'm interested in learning about all cultures and belief systems. I'm curious what atheism means to you personally.

It means that I do not believe in god/s.

(January 27, 2016 at 1:15 am)scoobysnack Wrote: Also why you don't believe in religion, and what you have to say about it.

Why should I be believer? Are there some compelling evidence of for example Christianity being something more than instrument of social control?

As for my thoughts about religion I will quote Marx: Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
Quote:But I knew that it wasn't a dream. I became aware that strangely I felt more alert, more aware, more alive than I had ever felt in my entire life. All my senses were extremely acute. Everything felt tingly and alive. The floor was cool and my bare feet felt moist and clammy. This had to be real. I squeezed my fists and was amazed at how much I was feeling in my hands just by making a fist. Then I heard my name. I heard, "Howard, Howard - come here."
Lucid dreaming explains it perfectly even though he was apparenly aware of his dream and yet didn't realise he was dreaming. I expect that's because he is either unfamiliar with the concept of lucid dreaming or too familiar with Christianity.

You should post this on reddit(https://www.reddit.com/r/LucidDreaming/) and see what the oneironauts have to say about it.
NDEs: You can't take seriously anything the brain does when under extreme circumstances such as almost dying. The brain is not reliable, even at the best of times. It just goes mental when things get near the edge.

The idea that it's actually more reliable under these conditions is wishful thinking. Unless some actual evidence backs up the anecdotes, they are worthless IMO. And I mean evidence as to the existence of whatever weird things they experience.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Rob, you know what gets my goat the most...

Theists just cannot think in any way other than binary thought.

Who cares if there really is a light on the other side? When did God put a patent on white light? Why can't it be a natural phenomenon.
Hell, why can't the reincarnation of the "soul" or "spirit" as they call it be a natural phenomenon? Ghosts? same thing...

It seems that upon reading the bible, you also swallow every bit of woo in existence as party of Gods mysterious ways.
In actual fact, the wonder of nature is the most mysterious of all. Why don't we embrace and be in awe of what is real?
(Oh I forgot, Mother nature doesn't have the afterlife salespitch) ...

EG:
Astrology: Yes, God aligns the planets in certain ways today so you can bump into an old friend!... hehe

Gimme a break.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I am an atheist but I believe in religion, I have seen many proofs that religion exists, what I have not seen is any proof that a god exists.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(January 27, 2016 at 1:15 am)scoobysnack Wrote: Hi everyone,

Just joined, and I'm interested in learning about all cultures and belief systems. I'm curious what atheism means to you personally. Also why you don't believe in religion, and what you have to say about it.

I've heard that people think a god exists. I don't. That is all.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I do not believe in the existence of any deities.  If one shows up and proves its existence and qualities, I will change my mind.

Why do you keep saying "believe in religion"?  Religions exist. Many, many religions exist.  More than 5000 gods have been worshiped by humankind.  So I can say that I believe religions exist.  I don't think very much of most of them.  Fighting over who has the correct imaginary friend has destroyed many lives and caused many wars.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Atheism is my state of mind, I don't believe in any deities, Q.E.D. However, I am a Unitarian, and am an example of an atheist who does not find atheism completely incompatible with religion.

The most interesting question to ask an atheist about their atheism is to ask why they are an atheist. The process by which the conclusion is reached tells you more about them than the conclusion itself.

There is an 'atheist movement' that can give the impression that there is more to atheism than just one opinion on one topic, but the term is really a short for lots of things that you don't have to be an atheist to agree on or be a part of (and someone can be an atheist and disagree with any or all of it): equal rights for atheists, political secularism, appreciation for science, encouragement of healthy skepticism, and promoting acceptance of atheists by society. Kind of like the gay pride movement was for gay people and their supporters, but wasn't gayness in and of itself.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.