Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 3:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard?
RE: What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard?
(February 21, 2016 at 8:08 am)robvalue Wrote: It's an incorrect reversal of an "implies" logical operator.

A=>B does not mean B=>A

"Things that are designed look designed" does not mean "Things that look designed are designed".

As an analogy, all cars made at a particular garage are green.

Therefor, every green car was made at that garage.

Wrong. Faulty logic.

Obviously just because it looks designed doesn't mean it is, but it is evidence. Design is the only known cause that can explain the features in cells, therefore it is the best explanation so far. You can wait for a different explanation, but don't say there is no evidence of design.
(February 21, 2016 at 5:03 am)FebruaryOfReason Wrote:
(February 18, 2016 at 7:21 pm)AAA Wrote: ...some words...

So because you can't see a rational explanation for this stuff, you've decided that - rather than to keep looking for a rational explanation - the best way forward is an irrational explanation?

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. The lamest defence of Theism is (drum roll):

The God of Gaps.

Were you one of those guys who was saying up until a few weeks ago that there was no evidence for gravity waves, so current astronomical theories must be invalid, and therefore there is a God?

BTW. You expressed doubts that I have a degree. I could post a photo of it on here if you like. Just give me a ten digit number and the photo will include that as well.

But of course, that would just be me providing evidence, and in your book, evidence is irrelevant.

And if I can reproduce your ten digit number in my photo, I suppose you'll say it couldn't possibly have happened by coincidence and therefore God must have been involved?
No it is because NOBODY has a natural explanation for it. It isn't just me not understanding it, it is that not a single person on the planet knows how it could have happened without being designed. And you are defining what is rational and irrational. I think that believing in the mathematically impossible is irrational, but that's what you do. 

The reason I have doubts about you having a degree is that you kept asserting that DNA could replicate itself, when that's not even close. I don't want a picture of it.

And I never said evidence is irrelevant. I'd love to talk about the cellular phenomena, but nobody else here understands any of it accept RocketSurgeon. You have just been conditioned to believe that you are on the side of evidence, and I am the side who doesn't like it. 

And no, randomly picking 10 digits and getting them correct is not close to picking the hundreds of digits needed to make a protein.
(February 21, 2016 at 6:09 am)ignoramus Wrote: I just read through all 8 pages of this.  Why do I feel like I just sat through a Sunday morning sermon!

AAA, you are entitled to your own beliefs. As a loyal religious person it is your job to defend the faith.
Having said that, it doesn't matter what discipline you study: biology, physics, robotics, etc.

You will use any knowledge you learn in your field and skew it to fit your comic book. (jesus gives you kudos when you do)
In this case its biology. You are breaking the first rule of science. Skewing the evidence to suit your outcome. That's a big naughty, naughty, no, no.

(At least I hope you're doing that! For your sake! You'll burn in hell if you're not defending Jesus!)

Just to add.
You believed in God way before you started studying biology. You had no proof then, why all of a sudden do you feel compelled to need proof all of a sudden.
Are you trying to convince yourself or us.
Since you've already decided on the outcome, you'll happily argue your case with all other disciplines as well. eg: cosmological fine tuning? Sorry, when did you become Carl Sagan?
Alex? get the program man! This guy knows his shit better than you!
I'm not skewing evidence though? Do you have an example of when I lied about evidence? maybe I have a different interpretation, but that is allowed and should be encouraged in science.
(February 21, 2016 at 12:51 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Do they teach the difference between "wine" and "whine"?

Apparently not
(February 21, 2016 at 1:00 pm)AAA Wrote: Design is the only known cause that can explain the features in cells, therefore it is the best explanation so far.

No, it isn't. First, you're filling gaps again. Secondly, design is a result of natural observation. Design, as in humans designing stuff, didn't drop from the blue heavens. It's a process of observation, which led our ancestors to designing tools and other things. So nature is the model, human design is the result. You can't look at the work of humans and come to the conclusion that nature has been designed too.

Nature simply adapts to what's working best in certain environments.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(February 21, 2016 at 12:58 pm)AAA Wrote: It's not like if it isn't peer reviewed it's making stuff up. Peer review is simply a good way to make sure that experimenters don't overlook things in their study, that they didn't fudge the data, and that they conducted it well.

Which must be why you aren't concerned about holding ID to the same standard of peer review as actual scientific papers. You have to know, at least on some level, that it cannot withstand the scrutiny.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 21, 2016 at 1:12 pm)abaris Wrote:
(February 21, 2016 at 1:00 pm)AAA Wrote: Design is the only known cause that can explain the features in cells, therefore it is the best explanation so far.

No, it isn't. First, you're filling gaps again. Secondly, design is a result of natural observation. Design, as in humans designing stuff, didn't drop from the blue heavens. It's a process of observation, which led our ancestors to designing tools and other things. So nature is the model, human design is the result. You can't look at the work of humans and come to the conclusion that nature has been designed too.

Nature simply adapts to what's working best in certain environments.

Filling in the gaps of what? And if an asteroid hit tomorrow with a circuit board attached to it, would we have to say that we are just filling in the gaps by saying it was designed? Do we just have to wait for somebody to try to explain how it formed without intelligence? Designer is only filling a gap if we assume that it can never be the correct answer.
(February 21, 2016 at 1:15 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(February 21, 2016 at 12:58 pm)AAA Wrote: It's not like if it isn't peer reviewed it's making stuff up. Peer review is simply a good way to make sure that experimenters don't overlook things in their study, that they didn't fudge the data, and that they conducted it well.

Which must be why you aren't concerned about holding ID to the same standard of peer review as actual scientific papers. You have to know, at least on some level, that it cannot withstand the scrutiny.

I think they should be held to the same standard, but they aren't.
I guess the lamest one was :
We make pots for a reason. We are alive hence we were made then we serve a purpose and that is to serve god.

I couldnt tell if the guy was being serious or just fucking with me
So if everything is designed, is vaccum designed too?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2225 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 2011 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 2270 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1574 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Have you Heathens heard the Good News? The Valkyrie 71 12145 January 26, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 26396 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6718 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population Coveny 49 13400 September 12, 2017 at 9:36 am
Last Post: mordant
  Do You Ever Miss God? Rhondazvous 75 21287 May 20, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Occam's Razor, atheism, theism and polytheism. Jehanne 74 17335 February 14, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic