Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard?
What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard?
My favourite no brainers;

I was arguing with a convinced Catholic on another forum once. He asserted that the other planets orbited the earth. He claimed that without a fixed third point of reference it was impossible to disprove him.

I pointed out that the distance of those planets from the earth was not constant, and indeed not constant in exactly the way we would expect if all of them - including the earth - was orbiting another body that occupied the exact position that the Sun happens to be in.

I didn't get a response.

We moved on to evolution, and I invited him to visit the Smithsonian to review the mountain of evidence. His reply was "what evidence?".

What are your personal classics?
I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty. I must not be nasty.
RE: What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard?
I think, "Well who made everything then?" is the laziest, most redundant question-begging stupid defense I have heard.

Most theistic arguments just boil down to this, once you've cut through the crap. Someone must have done some stuff, and it just happens to be my personal invisible friend.

Also, "Everything is evidence of god". That's just another way of putting the same thing, really.

"Hitler was an atheist!" is perhaps even more completely stupid.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
My brother is the most annoying believer ever, in that I can't really get to him no matter what I say. He'll listen to me, he'll even agree that he's irrational and so on, but he'll still believe. I think he's simply too brainwashed to even consider the actual possibility of letting go, no matter how stupid a belief it is.
Pascal's Wager, and the argument from design. Some people think there are only two options, or that if there's a divine creator, it must be their theistic god of choice.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Actually posted this earlier today on another thread:
"God is metafeesical. You must beleef dis."

Haunting, yes? I know.
Sent chills down my back!
"Life is pretty" One guy I worked with a long time ago pointed to the night time sky as his evidence. I told him if it was so pretty to take a space shuttle up to orbit take a space walk and take your helmet off.
Haha, yeah. Pretty deadly.

How kind of God to stick us to a tiny rock in the middle of nowhere to keep us safe from the deadly environment he chose to make everything else out of.

Chump.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
This deserves at least an honorable mention

https://youtu.be/BXLqDGL1FSg
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Oh, I can't even begin, the examples are too numerous.

It's like asking, "What's the wettest water molecule you've ever encountered?"

But I recall having an argument about corporal punishment in parenting,
with a devout theist once, who believed in "spare the rod, spoil the child"
and her argument was,

"God gave us bums so we could be spanked."

I felt like telling her I know lots of gay men in the fetish scene who would agree with her,
and then use a similar argument about why God gave us anuses,
or why God put the prostate gland where He did.
* psst, Vorlon......you're on. *

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2053 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1840 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 1954 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1489 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Have you Heathens heard the Good News? The Valkyrie 71 11519 January 26, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: rado84
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 25153 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6510 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population Coveny 49 13057 September 12, 2017 at 9:36 am
Last Post: mordant
  Do You Ever Miss God? Rhondazvous 75 20776 May 20, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Occam's Razor, atheism, theism and polytheism. Jehanne 74 16788 February 14, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic