Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 1:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for atheist claims
RE: Evidence for atheist claims
You guys still explaining to Wryetui although he seems to given up. Nevertheless let me try to explain to him on his Christian Orthodox example. I remember watching documentary that was part about Romanov family and how, because the little Crown Prince had such a horrible case of hemophilia, the queen practically lived in the church praying to the saints. - Now just imagine if someone told her that instead of praying they gave an enormous financial boost to the medical science that they find the cure, like there is one today, the little Crown Prince might have had an actual chance.
But that was not how people thought back then and that's why today when someone is having incurable disease people organize foundations to collect money to invest in scientists to find cure.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(May 9, 2016 at 11:30 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(May 9, 2016 at 4:11 am)Little Rik Wrote: Son.  Hi

Would you like a list of atheists unsupported assertions?  Smile

1) The consciousness is a product of the brain.

It has been supported, multiple times.  You just ignore such support and claim that it hasn't.  That makes you a liar.

Wrong again yog.
Nobody so far came up with solid evidence.
NOBODY.
A lot of people guess and guess but guessing is no evidence.
Nobody so far could established for sure that something physical such as the brain can give birth so to speak to something abstract such as the consciousness that is why sometime ago I said that a donkey can not possibly give birth to a human being.
Something inferior can not create something superior.
When your guessing try to promote a truth then you enter the corral of dogma
and dogma it is.
Amen.  Worship

(May 9, 2016 at 4:11 am)Little Rik Wrote: 2) When you die is all over.

Quote:This follows from the notion that consciousness is a product of the brain and is therefore supported.

Supported my a...  Wink
Read the above answer.

(May 9, 2016 at 4:11 am)Little Rik Wrote: 3) We got the consciousness that we got thanks to previous generations (evolution of the species sort of).

Quote:This follows from evolution and consciousness being a product of the brain, and evolution is well supported.  So again you are wrong.

Wrong again yog.
Evolution is a reality but not the atheistic evolution.
Evolution is individual.
Nothing come for free.
Only gullible and religious people think that the MANNA can fall from the sky.  Indubitably

(May 9, 2016 at 4:11 am)Little Rik Wrote: 4) Progress exist in this physical reality.

Quote:This is your own bugaboo, however there is plenty of evidence that people are living longer and healthier lives.  Your problem here is that you won't accept anything less than the promises of your beliefs as being real progress.  That's a semantic argument, not a real point.

Wrong again yog.
The positive and the negative within this universe are a reality not a guessing.
For every step forward we do a step backward.
I already discussed this point in previous posts but if you really like this argument
i can start all over again and show you that progress only come within.
Externally is all about an illusion.  Hi

(May 9, 2016 at 4:11 am)Little Rik Wrote: 5) If there is God he is a bastard that doesn't care about suffering people.

Quote:The argument from evil is well supported by any casual examination of the world.  Again, you simply discount that which contradicts your dogmatic beliefs.

A contradiction which is not supported by solid evidence is like a fart.
Your problem yog is that you haven't got the slightest clue how the whole system works.
You guess and guess.
Mother nature indicate to you the direction but your eyes are stuck on the finger.
By believing that there is only one life you can not comprehend the karma law.
Without justice the universe would cease to exist.
People will suffer and die but physical death doesn't mean total death.
NDEs already proved that physical death is none but a change so nothing is lost at the end.
Fools like you will find very very difficult to get out the mental mess in which you are.

(May 9, 2016 at 4:11 am)Little Rik Wrote: Eh, clown, this is only a short list of atheists dogmas.

Quote:Given that all these can and have been supported, your claim that they haven't been is just another of your dogmatic beliefs.  It's a crass lie and you're a complete asshole for repeatedly making such assertions.  You're spirituality doesn't give you license to shade the truth, and that you do so with such shameless smugness tells a great deal about what kind of 'progress' is to be made practicing your spirituality.  It is a regress in which you no longer care about the truth if it conflicts with your dogma, and it is a sad and pathetic result.

Once again you think that your ideas have been supported.
Unfortunately for you yog i got bad news.  Banging Head On Desk

The real evidence for people like you will only come at the time of your physical death.
Only then you will realize that you really never die.
All will happen is that you the real YOU will leave a dead body to move on and on until you reach
the goal of life and only then you will realize how stupid you were as an atheist for all the time
wasted chase stupid dreams and so many guessing.  Smile

Have a good day.  Wink
(May 9, 2016 at 7:49 pm)Gemini Wrote: So we've got this reason-resistant strain of human culture, composed of ignorant lay people, scholars who ought to know better but succumb to social pressure to identify as religious, and scholars who are just plain nuts.

You forgot about the 'Leaders' who are cynically exploiting vulnerable people for political and financial gain.
Sum ergo sum
(May 11, 2016 at 10:49 am)Ben Davis Wrote: You forgot about the 'Leaders' who are cynically exploiting vulnerable people for political and financial gain.

You're right. One of the difficulties we face is that science challenges us with claims that at first seem counter-intuitive; things hid and barr'd from common sense, that take effort to understand. Or people can follow a demagogue, who will confirm all their naive biases and assure them that however ignorant they are, they're right.

And it seems that religion is increasingly the go-to method for demagoguery. Cause what else is it good for?
Quote:Nobody so far could established for sure that something physical such as the brain can give birth so to speak to something abstract such as the consciousness

If I whack your brain with an axe my guess is that your "consciousness" ( such as it is ) will vanish pretty quickly!

Quote:that is why sometime ago I said that a donkey can not possibly give birth to a human being.

But it seems that human beings can give birth to jackasses.
Quote:Wrong again yog.

There has been a lot of solid evidence provided. What you are claiming has not been provided is proof.

And science does not deal in proofs.

It examines all the evidence, then builds the best model supported by said evidence. 

So far, ALL the scientific evidence points to consciousness arising from bain function. 

Quote:A lot of people guess and guess but guessing is no evidence.

Scientists don't 'guess'. If they were discovered to be doing so, they would soon be looking for jobs flipping burgers.

Quote:Nobody so far could established for sure that something physical such as the brain can give birth so to speak to something abstract such as the consciousness that is why sometime ago I said that a donkey can not possibly give birth to a human being.

Please provide one example of consciousness that exists sans a physical brain.

We'll wait....

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(May 11, 2016 at 10:27 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(May 9, 2016 at 11:30 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: It has been supported, multiple times.  You just ignore such support and claim that it hasn't.  That makes you a liar.

Wrong again yog.
NOBODY.
A lot of people guess and guess but guessing is no evidence.
Nobody so far could established for sure that something physical such as the brain can give birth so to speak to something abstract such as the consciousness that is

When you're done moving the goalposts I might respond. You claimed that the assertion was unsupported. Next you change that to 'solid evidence' which is surely in the eye of the beholder. Then you say nobody has 'for sure' demonstrated it. Well no shit, Sherlock, that wasn't what was being disputed. If you can't even keep track of the right standard of evidence, you have no business claiming they have not been met. They have, and you were wrong. The proposition that the brain gives rise to consciousness has been supported. That's all that was claimed, and that was done already multiple times over.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
LittleRik, out of curiosity, tell us what you think woo is?
Give us an example. I know you can! Please.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Me Me Me, I know! Pick me!
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Evidence for atheist claims
You guys are going to give yourselves hemorrhoids trying to debate with this guy. [emoji13]
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayaan Hirsi Ali now claims to be Christian. Brian37 26 1787 November 17, 2023 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2643 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3544 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1785 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 5056 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8883 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 3024 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1077 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Scary claims of God's punishments debunk_pls 30 4130 September 24, 2021 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2693 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball