Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 10:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free will
RE: Free will
(June 16, 2016 at 12:12 pm)Rhythm Wrote: They might think that, but it would be a massive non-sequitur.  People believe silly things, wouldn't you agree?

Rhythm,

I agree some people do believe silly things.

Will you use my words precisely to try to prove what you said about them ?
Your words were shit, frankly, and there's no reason for me to repeat them.  I'll trust that you're smart enough to know what a non-sequitur is, or copy paste it into google yourself if you don't.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 16, 2016 at 12:31 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Your words were shit, frankly, and there's no reason for me to repeat them.  I'll trust that you're smart enough to know what a non-sequitur is, or copy paste it into google yourself if you don't.

Rhythm,

I don't mean this in a smug way and you may want to be smug towards me but remember you may think if you did that you may be compared to being a car hitting a mountain at 100mph and smashing to pieces.  You may think I asked you to try to prove precisely and that you have failed.
True godly " free will" is having the ability to make a choice or the ability to do something that totally surprises god.
(June 16, 2016 at 12:45 pm)Thomas Kelly252525 Wrote: I don't mean this in a smug way and you may want to be smug towards me but remember you may think if you did that you may be compared to being a car hitting a mountain at 100mph and smashing to pieces.  You may think I asked you to try to prove precisely and that you have failed.
You may think that...but it would be as silly as the last thing you may have thought....and for exactly the same reason. If you want to talk to me, talk -to- me, not around me....or the subject.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Rhythm
(June 16, 2016 at 12:45 pm)Thomas Kelly252525 Wrote: I don't mean this in a smug way and you may want to be smug towards me but remember you may think if you did that you may be compared to being a car hitting a mountain at 100mph and smashing to pieces.  You may think I asked you to try to prove precisely and that you have failed.

Rhythm,

__You may think that...but it would be as silly as the last thing you may have thought....and for exactly the same reason.--

There's no smugness in this.

Do you spend all day telling yourself how great you are or after you've done something cool, you can't stop yourself from thinking wow I'm wonderful people will really love me ?
From my own personal perspective, I appear to have a certain freedom to align my will as I so desire. Thus, it is my experience that free will, or the freedom to express individual will, does exist.

I don't know about god(s), but that doesn't concern me, because I live on Earth, not in the ether of some god's imagination. If it turns out that I do in fact exist in some god's imagination, then that god has written code which permits me to operate with a free will, or at least the code is written to obscure the fact that I don't have free will. 

Thinking
(June 16, 2016 at 1:40 pm)Thomas Kelly252525 Wrote: Do you spend all day telling yourself how great you are or after you've done something cool, you can't stop yourself from thinking wow I'm wonderful people will really love me ?
Nope.  Why, would that rescue your comments? 

@ Spirian.  I have that same experience....how accurate do you think it is, and by what metrics?
(June 16, 2016 at 1:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(June 16, 2016 at 1:40 pm)Thomas Kelly252525 Wrote: Do you spend all day telling yourself how great you are or after you've done something cool, you can't stop yourself from thinking wow I'm wonderful people will really love me ?

Rhythm,

--Nope.  Why, would that rescue your comments?--

Do you think I was trying to rescue my comments ? If you did, what makes you think precisely that I needed to ? 
It just keeps talking, lol.  Awesome.  Your comments need to be rescued, because they were non-sequiturs, and you may -not-  be ignorant, and may -not- be trolling us.

It might be said that it's a courtesy to clean up the messes others make, by some.

Jerkoff

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The free will argument demonstrates that christians don't understand free will. Esquilax 91 18309 May 2, 2014 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Ryantology