Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 19, 2024, 1:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Brexit, questions from an American
RE: UK Brexit, questions from an American
(June 23, 2016 at 2:44 pm)robvalue Wrote: Well, they're at extreme ends of the spectrum. There's no kind of compromise, it's just all in or all out.

Yeah, rob, but life's tough. If you join a club, you have to subscribe to the rules. All of them, not just the cherries on top.

Even though my country is a relative newcomer with joining in 1995, I was against the rapid expansion of the EU. Not because I hated the countries joining, but because I found it to be a better strategy to determine where the EU's going before inviting any more members to join. In 2004, when the last big expansion happened, it was glaringly obvious that the Eastern European countries weren't really interested in a political and social Union. They just wanted to pick the economical cherries while leaning heavily on the Bush administration for everything else.

Suffice to say, when we were called to vote on joining the EU, I didn't vote for the EU in it's current form. I voted for a social and political Union, since I consider myself an European. A neocon economical experiment would have never got my vote. But now that we're part of that union, I'm also aware that leaving would make us even more vulnerable to outside influences and economical drawbacks. So I would vote remain at any given day, although I don't subscribe to the EU in it's current form.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 23, 2016 at 2:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote: If I opt for the tea do I have to drink it?

We can throw it in Boston harbor if you like?
What a capital idea!  Tally-ho!
I find it very peculiar how alike the extreme right and extreme left get. Sometimes I would like to see the brexit win so that they could come groveling to return once the place turned into a shithole. People sometimes need to make their own mistakes in order to learn something from them.

But then, alot of good people would be affected by this, people that do not deserve it. Sometimes one just have to think for themselves and not fall into nationalistic propaganda.
I'm just worried that minority right wing parties who usually don't get much representation because of our first past the post voting system, will send their supporters out en masse to vote leave. Because on the remain side there are no parties whose sole purpose is to stay... not in the same way anyway. So I'm worried that we might find out just how big those minority groups really are... that they may be more organised than us Sad
Well, that's the polls closed. Looking forward to seeing the results.

[Image: animated-great-britain-flag-image-0011.gif]
Yep, it's gonna be a tense and exciting night ahead, watching the count come in.
Quote:People sometimes need to make their own mistakes in order to learn something from them.

But that happens so seldom.

[Image: image002.jpg]

Except Cicero never said any such thing showing that when someone feels like it they invent "history" to suit their purpose.
(June 23, 2016 at 5:10 pm)Emjay Wrote: Yep, it's gonna be a tense and exciting night ahead, watching the count come in.

Indeed.
The majority in Gibraltar voted to remain. 381 of 382 local authorities still to declare.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brexit LinuxGal 15 1558 December 28, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 1145 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1894 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 2359 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  American imagery from movies from 90s and 80s Sweden83 8 1740 December 5, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 994 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Most British voters support violence on brexit downbeatplumb 17 1782 October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves Silver 45 5045 April 20, 2019 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  I like that American left are miserable Snora 82 8155 March 24, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Venezuela and Saudi Arabia in the eyes of the American one-eyed foreign policy WinterHold 9 1575 February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Yonadav