Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Brexit, questions from an American
UK Brexit, questions from an American
So, what is the deal with wanting to leave the EU? I get that it has imposed laws and regulations on you that you might not like, and I get that you don't like that the EU forces immigration on you. I mean hell, some of the governors of our states hate the federal government for some of its decisions on things that are similar. Considering that the EU has brought a lot of prosperity and security to Europe where before hand you were all waging war with each other, I just don't get the problem. It'd be like if Texas tried to secede today because of a few taxes, regulations, and civil rights mandates that Obama has made. So, my question is, why oppose a United States of Europe? Great Britain is a small and vulnerable island. Could it survive today's global economy without the EU?
RE: UK Brexit, questions from an American
They would no longer have to contribute to the EU budget thus saving money. The other being Trading the EU has tariffs on imports and exports between member states
so more than 50% of exports are only in the EU alone only so much gets exported. There is a other issues as well including immigration so that being said i am for Britain wanting
the fuck out of the EU. The EU is pretty much holding Britain back at this point they could be doing a lot more on the global market instead of only mostly trading to member states.
It really does show since the Euro in recent days is getting weak.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
We've got states "holding other states back".  I'd be awfully confused if some rich state wanted to leave the US because it had poor states.  II know that there are fundamental differences between us states and the eu states...still, seems strange. Why not bring them up..and then profit/prosper together to an even greater degree? Wasn't that the idea in the first place?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I am very unclear about EU politics, to be honest. The fact that there are EU people who understand American politics is quite amazing.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Our politics aren't all that complicated, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I agree Britain is really getting the shittiest deal staying in the EU they would be better off
leaving.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Honestly, this isn't worth writing a huge paragraph for because my opinion won't change anyone's mind. But immigration is a huge issue with the EU. Too many of them are coming over and it needs to be controlled.

I am very much in favour of an Australian type system when it comes to border control. We have a right to restrict our borders and protect our citizens. Any refugees should be thoroughly screened and the number we take in should be extremely limited as well.

The US has said they would put us at the back of a queue for a trade agreement and pursue trading with smaller economies instead. Now that's highly unlikely considering we're the worlds 5th largest economy the last time I checked. America is just trying to bully everyone, as usual.

We can and most likely will continue trading with the EU and America on the same scale we do now if we leave. They're just threatening us in hope that we change our mind, with their interests at heart not ours.

I hope my fellow Brits do the right thing and vote to leave. Time we take back control of our country.
I've voted to stay.

I feel the issues are incredibly complex and I don't pretend to have all the information. I think most people voting in this referendum will be in the same position. I'm not sure if a referendum is even sensible.

I've had to go with what I consider to be the more convincing side, and that is staying.

I think joining the EU in the first place probably turned out to be a mistake (although I don't think we knew what were getting ourselves into). But that's irrelevant now, and it's a matter of whether the benefits of leaving outweigh the harm it will likely cause, not just to us but to the world. In my opinion, no.

I did a video about this earlier where I go into more detail:

https://youtu.be/cLcTaMkEcT4
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 15, 2016 at 11:40 pm)Rhythm Wrote: We've got states "holding other states back".  I'd be awfully confused if some rich state wanted to leave the US because it had poor states.  II know that there are fundamental differences between us states and the eu states...still, seems strange.  Why not bring them up..and then profit/prosper together to an even greater degree?  Wasn't that the idea in the first place?

That was the original idea... But... It's not working that well. Poorer states continue poorer and the EU organizations are dominated by the most powerful (economically and politically) states like Germany, France, etc.

There is also a sentiment of rebellion towards the EU extending its political powers in the last decades and many people want sovereignty back.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(June 16, 2016 at 6:26 am)Dystopia Wrote: That was the original idea... But... It's not working that well. Poorer states continue poorer and the EU organizations are dominated by the most powerful (economically and politically) states like Germany, France, etc.

You don't know much on how the voting system of the European council and the commission works, do you? Surprisingly so, since it's in the public domain and an interested party would have looked up the information already.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brexit LinuxGal 15 1212 December 28, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 823 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1326 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1603 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  American imagery from movies from 90s and 80s Sweden83 8 1536 December 5, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 764 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Most British voters support violence on brexit downbeatplumb 17 1374 October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves Foxaèr 45 3656 April 20, 2019 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  I like that American left are miserable Snora 82 6682 March 24, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Venezuela and Saudi Arabia in the eyes of the American one-eyed foreign policy WinterHold 9 1303 February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Yonadav