Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 7:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UK to leave EU
RE: UK to leave EU
My kind of bullshit, tho.
(June 29, 2016 at 11:35 am)Aractus Wrote: You can't "convert money", that is a fallacy. You can only trade it.

OK, would it help if it was Pints instead of dollars. Last month he got four. Next month he's only got three. And now tell me, how that's not a loss.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 29, 2016 at 12:21 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I suppose that I too have not lost any money, despite my accounts being 5 digits lighter in USD than they were last Thursday - no currency exchange required.

If it's any consolation, I envy you for still being able to lose money. I lost that ability in the last global fuckup I didn't have any say in.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
He is trading it for less than he was before, that's the idea. And he's saying it's because of Brexit.
When I lose money it isn't really lost either: it is just "exchanged for the absence of funds".
(June 29, 2016 at 12:44 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: When I lose money it isn't really lost either: it is just "exchanged for the absence of funds".

Woah careful there! Sounds too much like particle physics.
(June 29, 2016 at 12:44 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: When I lose money it isn't really lost either: it is just "exchanged for the absence of funds".

In other news, were at war with Eastasia, we've always been at war with Eastasia.
RationalWiki Wrote:Brexit (short for British Exit) is a movement within Britain to leave the EU which somehow managed to get a national referendum. While both sides have at least some valid reasoning, the eurosceptic side (with the help of the mostly right-wing UK tabloids such as The Crazy Mail) has created a widespread distrust of the EU that essentially amounts to a mass hysteria over a mostly harmless bureaucratic body. Leaving the EU is unlikely to solve problems such as improving the economy, and the UK only contributes about 0.5% of its GDP to the EU per year. Rather, the exit will more likely set Britain further back in having to renegotiate perfectly functional agreements from scratch.
The main politicians sponsoring the Leave campaign are Michael 'I hate teachers' Gove (the current Lord Chancellor) and novelty human Boris Johnson whose hair and politics approach Donald Trump's more and more with each passing day. Other prominent leavers are inevitably Ukip's Nigel Farage, the Conservative Party's handsome young Zac Goldsmith and grey old Iain Duncan Smith, and a very few Labour Party people including Kate Hoey. Crank magnet George Galloway also got in on the action. Of course.

Poor Brexiters have RationalWiki against them.
RationalWiki Wrote:As a result of the vote passing by a margin of 52/48%, the value of the pound nosedived to $1.3236 - a low not seen since 1985. The FTSE went into a one-day freefall of more than 8%, not seen since the collapse of Lehman Brothers in 2008. Several banks (including Barclays and RBS) took major hits, while shares in the housebuilding sector fell by up to 50% (as in the case of Bovis Homes). UK government bond yields also hit a new record low.

Since Scotland, Northern Ireland and London voted Remain by large margins, the UK appears to be headed for a constitutional crisis. Some possible outcomes:
  • Bring on the constitutional crisis, let the chips fall where they may
  • Have a second referendum "Just to check"
  • Ignore the result, call it "advisory only," and carry on, chaps
RationalWiki Wrote:Many eurosceptics make claims about how leaving the EU is the only way to control The UK's borders from the oncoming horde of (mostly Muslim) migrants sure to wash over us if we stay in the EU. This ignores a the fact that many economists believe that Europe is in need of more migrants, rather than less. This is in addition to the moral issue of leaving tens to hundreds of thousands of refugees in camps. The anti-migrant hysteria often also seems to emphasize the fact that the migrants are largely Arab Muslims, perhaps trying to attach itself to the Islamophobic and racist elements of British society, or perhaps merely trying to create a dichotomy with which they sell how different and therefore untrustworthy the migrants are.

However, even this ignores a simple fact; the anti-migrant political opinion has won. The UK is only admitting a tiny fraction of the migrants which are seeking asylum in Europe. The 'take back control of our borders' argument is a false argument being used to justify a false argument.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's talk Parental Leave Cecelia 10 1075 October 17, 2021 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Scotland could leave the UK, and join Canada instead, says author Isis 21 7480 April 8, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Merkel will pay migrants to leave Germany account_inactive 26 4905 February 12, 2017 at 3:28 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Hey Tim. Leave The God Shit to the Repulbicunts Minimalist 12 2521 October 4, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  EU: Should the UK Leave or Stay? Napoléon 255 23190 May 4, 2016 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Ben Carson Threatens to Leave GOP Minimalist 11 2092 December 11, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Far-right rioters leave trail of destruction in Polish capital kılıç_mehmet 39 8828 November 20, 2013 at 9:39 am
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  French troops to leave Afghanistan Something completely different 23 8476 November 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Brakeman