Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:57 am

Poll: Do you think the UK should stay in the EU or leave?
This poll is closed.
Stay
71.43%
15 71.43%
Leave
28.57%
6 28.57%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EU: Should the UK Leave or Stay?
EU: Should the UK Leave or Stay?
Let's do an early referendum just for the craic.
RE: EU: Should the UK Leave or Stay?
Stay.

Leaving now would be like ripping out that bit of glass lodged in someone's jugular before getting to the operating room.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Leave. Fuck the EU.
(April 19, 2016 at 4:07 pm)robvalue Wrote: Stay.

Leaving now would be like ripping out that bit of glass lodged in someone's jugular before getting to the operating room.

Depends on your perspective really, IMO it's more like if we stay we're sitting on a sinking ship refusing to accept it's actually sinking.
I can't answer yes or no. For the simple reason that I voted for joining the EU under a different premise as it turned out to be. I voted for a political union, to get rid of silly nationalisms and aim for a really united union. Not because I'm not a patriot, but because I still think, a united Europe would be the best ever happening to this planet.

A purely economic union doesn't interest me much. It's only of interest for the ones actually doing business but not for the ordinary people.

So, I don't really care. If the Brits want to leave, I'd say let them. Let's see where it gets them. Not because I hate the UK, quite the contrary, but because I want to convey the feeling of, if joining a club, you have to have to buy the whole package. Not cherry pick it to your utmost advantage.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(April 19, 2016 at 4:13 pm)abaris Wrote: I can't answer yes or no. For the simple reason that I voted for joining the EU under a different premise as it turned out to be. I voted for a political union

Wasn't the premise in the first place to be a purely economic union and not one that was political? Which is actually what it's turned out to be?

We never signed up to that.
(April 19, 2016 at 4:15 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(April 19, 2016 at 4:13 pm)abaris Wrote: I can't answer yes or no. For the simple reason that I voted for joining the EU under a different premise as it turned out to be. I voted for a political union

Wasn't the premise in the first place to be a purely economic union and not one that was political? Which is actually what it's turned out to be?

Yep, it was to be purely economic. Now it's just getting ridiculous.

A sinking ship.
(April 19, 2016 at 4:15 pm)Napoléon Wrote: Wasn't the premise in the first place to be a purely economic union and not one that was political? Which is actually what it's turned out to be?

I was sold on it being a political union when we were called to vote in 1994. I voted for the four freedoms, not for some neocon experiment.

So, yes, based on that I would be in favor of the UK leaving. Simply to make a point. Not because I want to see them go. A point that should be made also in the case of many eastern european countries. You can't pick the cherries. Either buy what is offered or get out of the shop. I'm certainly not comfortable with my tax money going to subsidize countries that don't show any solidarity when it comes to shouldering a problem.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(April 19, 2016 at 4:23 pm)abaris Wrote: I was sold on it being a political union when we were called to vote in 1994. I voted for the four freedoms, not for some neocon experiment.

Interesting, I was only 1 year old in 1994 so can't say on first hand experience, but from everything I've seen in the media and online, I thought the whole premise in the first place was that it was an economic union, and it was promised it would never be a political one. For instance they would never have a say in our laws, which they obviously do now.

Boris mentions it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWhwzCuHfAo
Just curious...how did you feel about Scotland leaving the UK?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's talk Parental Leave Cecelia 10 980 October 17, 2021 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6727 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Exclamation UK to leave EU Aractus 2224 180569 August 17, 2017 at 10:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Stay Out Of The Water Chris-Someone May Throw A Harpoon At You Minimalist 14 3589 July 3, 2017 at 4:02 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Louie the Louse Can't Stay Quiet For Long Minimalist 4 1435 June 11, 2017 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Scotland could leave the UK, and join Canada instead, says author Isis 21 7172 April 8, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Merkel will pay migrants to leave Germany account_inactive 26 4677 February 12, 2017 at 3:28 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Hey Tim. Leave The God Shit to the Repulbicunts Minimalist 12 2463 October 4, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Ben Carson Threatens to Leave GOP Minimalist 11 2003 December 11, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Far-right rioters leave trail of destruction in Polish capital kılıç_mehmet 39 8406 November 20, 2013 at 9:39 am
Last Post: EgoRaptor