Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 6:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Peanut Gallery Commentary-and the drama over the nudity thread continues
RE: [split] Peanut Gallery Commentary-and the drama over the nudity thread continues
(July 3, 2016 at 6:43 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The thread wasn't a troll. It was provocative, to be sure -- it provoked many responses. But it grew because the innate defensiveness of ingrained attitudes overrode the simple idea of reading what was written.

If you actually want to discuss the issue rather than dismiss it with a joke, have at it. Heatheness has a good point there, and waving it away with ridicule doesn't change that fact.

Definitely troll. Listen to the experts.
RE: [split] Peanut Gallery Commentary-and the drama over the nudity thread continues
Did Heatheness quit the forum, by the way? Maybe I missed her leaving post or whatever.
The functional definition of troll, of course, expanded with usage. She is technically a troll, though she may not even know it. Anyway, she's definitely what you guys here would call a troll. That doesn't mean she's this complete asshole who likes making fun of people online, just that she maybe got frustrated when the real world crushed her idealistic worldview and ended up there and then, completely blowing that thing out of proportion mainly to get a reaction(which she got plenty of), but also to advance her feminist agenda(that shouldn't necessarily convey a negative connotation).

At least that's my read. And trolls have things that drive them as well, they're not these A.I.s who make fun of humans online. They're people as well.

Of course, secretely, I believe none of the above and support her, but I have this deep need to agree with the popular opinion so I'm bashing her.

Fuck, this post was completely useless, wasn't it.
Bella: Not that I'm aware of. Although I'm wondering if another atheist forum is going through a replay right now.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 4, 2016 at 4:41 pm)Nymphadora Wrote:
(July 4, 2016 at 4:39 pm)Losty Wrote: Let's call it a place to bicker about the nudity thread until people feel fully contented with dropping the subject. I don't know. I don't care what you call it. It took over 2 hours to split this stupid thread so pretend like you love it.
bold mine

That's exactly it... because apparently beating a dead horse to death isn't enough.

That horse
Dead Horse
must
Dead Horse 
die
Dead Horse 
dammit
Dead Horse 
!!!
(July 5, 2016 at 7:38 am)robvalue Wrote: Bella: Not that I'm aware of. Although I'm wondering if another atheist forum is going through a replay right now.

Apparently she acts just fine over there.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
As someone who just won't wade through that whole thread of bile I don't understand why anyone is upset with the thread's OP. My suspicion is it is related to the whole anti-feminism slant that is so common here and among so many atheists. On the face of it, I don't see a problem with bitching about un-equal treatment even if its basis is entirely innocuous. I have no problem with copping to the charge that I post on a forum with a (very slightly) sexist policy. I don't on that account feel that I have a sexism problem any more than our moderation team or site owner does. It is a very low grade of sexism to be charged with and I willingly accept it, and then immediately shrug it off.

I've found her few other posts fine in every regard and more than interesting enough.
It's making the issue about this forum in particular, which is ridiculously arbitrary.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 5, 2016 at 12:32 pm)Nymphadora Wrote:
(July 5, 2016 at 7:38 am)robvalue Wrote: Bella: Not that I'm aware of. Although I'm wondering if another atheist forum is going through a replay right now.

Apparently she acts just fine over there.

Supposedly according to some, yesh.
Well the argument originally spilled over to here from TTA, which laid bare the raw nerve of the person concerned. Shame really. It could have made for a productive discussion, if it wasn't made out to feel like confrontation was compulsory.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peanut Gallery Commentary on the Staff Log of Bannings and such like. Whateverist 4493 744026 March 31, 2021 at 5:55 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Nudity, Is It Sexist In This Forum? Heatheness 702 72723 July 7, 2016 at 2:08 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  [split] Discussion About Potential Rule Change and Staff Action Shell B 94 45762 June 2, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  [split] Quoting Full Articles Violet 8 3983 April 27, 2010 at 11:34 am
Last Post: Tiberius