Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 12:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new atheist need advice
RE: new atheist need advice
Reading anything should be more about critical thinking than just blind acceptance.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 8, 2016 at 1:24 am)Godschild Wrote:  If you had been a Christian to start with you wouldn't be living with this guilt now, would you! Seems that being honest with yourself to start with (before your supposed de-conversion) would have you searching out why you lived so long in a Christian environment and never found the way to Christ. Maybe the real question for you is why are your parents so certain and you were not.
Welcome to the forum.

GC

And here we have it: You didn't buy into the dogma, so there's something flawed with you.

There couldn't be a more succinct summation of religious thought.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Agnosticism? Sounds cool in a mysterious sort of way!
Do they wear funny hats when they meet? Hehe

Welcome noob, above all else, have fun here!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 7, 2016 at 3:17 pm)afrist34 Wrote: I became an atheist very recently.  I grew up evangelical Christian.  This past year I did a lot of questioning and searching and thought about joining different religions, but rejected this because I realized the same fundamental problems existed in each of them.  I tried universalism and agnosticism but eventually found myself confirmed in atheism.  Now I feel content in my beliefs but not at all comfortable sharing them with most of the people I know.  I’m very close with my parents and for those who know evangelical Christians pretty well you know that if they find out you don’t believe in their God they will evangelize you for the rest of their lives, even when you stand up for your right to dissent.  I don’t want to face that for the rest of my life with my parents yet I also hate living with a huge secret and really dislike still pretending to be a Christian.  Have any of you been in this situation –any advice?

Wish you the best!

I had no problems like this, but I think, if your parents are worth the love and care you give them, then they should understand Smile
(July 8, 2016 at 1:57 am)ignoramus Wrote: Agnosticism? Sounds cool in a mysterious sort of way!

I think it sounds like something you need eye surgery for. Man, the Glaucoma is bad enough, but ever since I had that Apoplexy, the Agnosticism on my left eye is killing me!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Mine got so bad I actually lost the sight of God as a result! And that other horrid infection in the other eye, "scepticism" ensured I never found him again..
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 8, 2016 at 3:46 am)ignoramus Wrote: Mine got so bad I actually lost the sight of God as a result! And that other horrid infection in the other eye, "scepticism" ensured I never found him again..

My Grandma has a chronic inflammatory skepsis. We keep telling her that she needs to go see the doctor, but she doesn't believe us.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(July 8, 2016 at 4:06 am)Alex K Wrote: My Grandma has a chronic inflammatory skepsis. We keep telling her that she needs to go see the doctor, but she doesn't believe us.

[Image: T58kjLo.gif]
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Well, that obviously went right over my head.
Love it, love it all - I'll wait for now...I put out some feelers and I guess it'll grow from there. Knowing you all are out there too makes it way easier. Many thanks to those who suggested Meetup and Universalism church too. Those seem like smart options.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need Advice w/ Christian Friend DeadChannel 23 5396 August 8, 2015 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Fairly new and hoping for advice and help potch 21 2781 May 19, 2014 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Much needed advice. I need more atheist friends. dangSHAYNAdang 32 6037 January 6, 2014 at 1:13 am
Last Post: dangSHAYNAdang
  Encouragement and Advice themonkeyman 17 3856 August 13, 2013 at 5:29 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Bad Christian advice for dating, marriage, etc RichardP 10 5912 January 9, 2013 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Gilgamesh