Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much needed advice. I need more atheist friends.
Much needed advice. I need more atheist friends.
Noob here. In need.

I've been Agnostic atheist for a while now, I guess I slowly made up my mind with enough research and self thought around 6 years ago.

Anyway, I was born and raised in Louisiana. Southern Louisiana. I was indoctrinated into catholicism by my mother mostly. My father just kinda went with it, didn't attend often. Some where along the way, around age 10, my family stopped going to church functions and what not.
I was influenced by my Christian friends to start attending an Assembly of God church not too long after that. Was really into it. I can actually say I loved it. It felt like the greatest place to get away from my drunken parents and complete chaos of a teenage life.
Anyway, I grew out of that around 16? That's when I really started to look at life from my own views. Slowly realizing that all of the bullshit I was fed my whole life, was complete and udder shenanigans. I basically grew a brain of my own.
My twin sister didnt exactly come around as fast as I did, but now she's a full blown atheist and isn't afraid to let anyone know.
That's where we differ. I have a hard time coming out and saying it out loud. I tend to be quiet when God is brought into a casual conversation. Not so with my sister, but with Christian friends, acquaintances, and family members.

Should I be more vocal about how I feel or how other's beliefs make me very uncomfortable to be around? Of course I want to be this way, but I also don't want to seem rude, hurt feelings, or offend.
I have a 3 and a half year old son. He is my life now. I'm raising him to be a free thinker. To always question everything. To be curious and enjoy life as it comes.
He will be starting school soon, and I am absolutely terrified of someone putting cultivating shit into my son's mind. How should I look into schools? Should I outright ask how science and history lessons are taught or how Christmas and easter are celebrated?
I went to a public school and Jesus was all over the place... I just need advice and other viewed opinions.

[Image: ama2a9uj.jpg]

^^^my intelligent sophisticated free thinking son. ;D^^^
RE: Much needed advice. I need more atheist friends.
Quote:Should I outright ask how science and history lessons are taught or how Christmas and easter are celebrated?

Yes but the question remains are there any alternatives? I have friends in South Carolina and the public school system there is shitty and deliberately kept that way so that the religious schools are given some sort of advantage in recruiting.

The only way a poor black kid gets in is if he can nail a 30' jump shot half the time. Then they may give him a scholarship so they can beat up on the other "religious" schools who are pulling the same scam. The biggest problem with education in the south is that it is about less about education and more about advancing a xtian viewpoint.

If you are stuck with the public schools then the best you can do for your son is to supplement his education at home.
I agree, you have to supplement or even provide the main chunk of education for your kids these days. Going to school is about the qualification and discipline, so yes it's important that kids do well. But it's also more important that kids learn what they love and learn at levels beyond what schools are teaching (because they're really teaching almost nothing). In the earlier years, kids often lose interest in learning because schools are sooo boring, perhaps the best thing to do is to expose your son to many subjects (science, history, art, music, etc) and help him pursue what he likes by buying him books and doing activities with him. And always ask him what he's learning in school, so you can kill the bullshit as soon as it shows up.

Oh and your son is very adorable Smile.
Homeschooling would be totally out of the question. In order for my family to live comfortably, both myself and boyfriend have to work nearly full time. I also don't want to shelter my son from the world and how it works. No matter if we do live in a massive MOSTLY Christian ruled country.
It's the same way here Minimalist. The private schools in this state are run my Jesus worshipers.
My only choice would be public school. I've recently moved to a better school district and am sure the schools here are less Christ-like than they were where we were previously located.

And thank you pineapplebunnybounce! ^_^
Quote:The private schools in this state are run my Jesus worshipers.

And the jesus freak politicians advance voucher systems to funnel public money into those "private" schools and away from the public system. A far more important breach of the separation of church and state than some asshole mouthing some shitty prayer over the PA system. Where are the courts when you need them?
Using the public school system BUT giving a extra hour of tuition daily either from yourself or a paid tutor will give you better results than a christian private school
This may sound an odd thing to say, but perhaps you should have faith that your son will find his way to your truth in the end. You managed to work through your conditioning and and I suspect you are a better, stronger more balanced person for it. I don't feel that the role of a parent is to protect your child from bad influences/situations, but rather to try to develop the strength of character to deal with them. You don't have to home school to introduce them to good science, you can do that at evenings and weekends. Education is not about teaching them what to learn but how to learn. Impart that and he will make his own path. It will be different to yours and have some bumps along the way.

Parenthood. The hardest job in the world. There's no training and by the time you get the experience you don't need it any more!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
I like to tell myself that, Jacob. That my son is probably going to have no problem finding his way through all the bullshit delusions. Since I plan to be completely involved in his schooling, I'll just have to be that mom who stands up for equality, if there is ever any type of religion favored within. Especially when my son is so young and unable to defend for himself.
Parenting may be the most difficult job there is, but it is definitely the most rewarding.

[/quote] And the jesus freak politicians advance voucher systems to funnel public money into those "private" schools and away from the public system. A far more important breach of the separation of church and state than some asshole mouthing some shitty prayer over the PA system. Where are the courts when you need them?
[/quote]

I don't know the line up in the Bible belt States. But Louisiana has to be in the top 3.
It really pisses me off. When I look online for decent schools, all private schools here are based upon a religion.
OR, they are only for African Americans. Total bullshit for the middle class white family.
I can't get away from it all. Because yes, minimalist, the whole state is run by Jesus freak politicians.

Blah^^ noob mistakes.
Quote:I like to tell myself that, Jacob. That my son is probably going to have no problem finding his way through all the bullshit delusions. Since I plan to be completely involved in his schooling, I'll just have to be that mom who stands up for equality, if there is ever any type of religion favored within. Especially when my son is so young and unable to defend for himself.

Oh he'll have trouble alright. He will make all sorts of mistakes, get caught up in all sorts of weird shit and break your heart several times along the way.

But thats how we form our character isn't it. Through trials and tribulations. We try to protect them of course, but you have to know, we will fail. And in some ways its good that we do so, because if we DID manage to protect our children from the world when they were kids we would rob them of that most essential of all attributes, the ability to fall and pick ourselves up.

Thats how I keep myself sane at least!
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Quote:I can't get away from it all. Because yes, minimalist, the whole state is run by Jesus freak politicians.

You can call me "Min," dear. As in the avatar, Min was the ancient Egyptian god of turquoise....or something.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How much influence does he have? zwanzig 32 3070 September 13, 2021 at 11:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How much of my personal experience should I tell the world? Der/die AtheistIn 10 1413 January 18, 2019 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2792 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why did god only make exactly the number of talking animals that he needed? godlessheatheness 41 8557 March 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  We all need to get more exorcise. Gawdzilla Sama 6 870 March 12, 2017 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Help needed. The Last Reformation. I_am_not_mafia 17 5393 July 29, 2016 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  new atheist need advice afrist34 41 2854 July 14, 2016 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Sterben
  Why Does God Need So Much Praise? Rhondazvous 57 8478 April 24, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  What is needed to combat the overwhelming level of belief in God? SteveII 149 20833 December 14, 2015 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Athene
  Need Advice w/ Christian Friend DeadChannel 23 5323 August 8, 2015 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Dystopia