Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 22, 2024, 11:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Cultural Context" Excuse
RE: The "Cultural Context" Excuse
Wait... Eve had sex with the... ahem... serpent?
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(August 3, 2016 at 6:11 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(August 3, 2016 at 4:06 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: ...the fact that there were giants, shows that something happened genetically. 

[Image: laughing-smiley-face.gif]

The stuff Christians believe never ceases to amaze me.

At some point you'll come to the realization that YOU believe the universe either appeared out of nothing or has always existed; either way, which belief is crazier? Giants, or a self existing universe?

(August 3, 2016 at 6:11 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(August 3, 2016 at 4:06 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Since everyone is born through the act of sex (which God never intended)...

How can something happen that an omniscient, omnipotent god never intended?

By creating a creature able to act of it's own free will, how is that so hard to understand?

(August 4, 2016 at 3:35 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: And how did he intend us to procreate without using the organs Huggy would allege he himself gave us?

I've actually made at least two posts covering this subject, not about to make a third. You're more than welcome to do a search though.

But I will say this, Adam was originally created BOTH MALE AND FEMALE (the female portion was taken out of Adam and used to make Eve) , explain how exactly he was supposed to reproduce sexually?

(August 4, 2016 at 3:35 pm)The_Empress Wrote: Wait... Eve had sex with the... ahem... serpent?
Again, I've been saying this since day one...

It appears someone wasn't paying attention.
(August 4, 2016 at 3:35 pm)The_Empress Wrote: Wait... Eve had sex with the... ahem... serpent?

Don't knock it till you try it.
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.
The "Cultural Context" Excuse
Also,

@Huggy - I'm still wondering what you think about your Bible sanctioned abortion.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
"It's different"™
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(August 4, 2016 at 6:09 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Also,

@Huggy - I'm still wondering what you think about your Bible sanctioned abortion.

Provide the book, chapter and verse.
(August 4, 2016 at 4:57 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: I've actually made at least two posts covering this subject, not about to make a third. You're more than welcome to do a search though.

But I will say this, Adam was originally created BOTH MALE AND FEMALE (the female portion was taken out of Adam and used to make Eve) , explain how exactly he was supposed to reproduce sexually?

You'll need to support this with a specific citation, and since I already know that such doesn't exist in the Bible, you'll also need to explain your convoluted thinking in such a manner that doesn't arouse laughter or contempt.

You should also link to the posts you claim address this issue. I've searched in vain for a reasonabe expression of your views on this. Big surprise there, huh. You can support your own points, or you cannot, but it's not my job to do your work.

(August 4, 2016 at 4:57 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Again, I've been saying this since day one...

It appears someone wasn't paying attention.

Maybe you should merit the attention you seek, Hugs, m'boy. Truth be told, it's not often I give you more than a few hundred neurons worth of processing power ... I'm not in the habit of hunting houseflies with sledgehammers, ya dig?

If you want serious regard, earn it.

(August 4, 2016 at 8:16 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(August 4, 2016 at 6:09 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Also,

Provide the book, chapter and verse.

Numbers 5:11-31

[Image: 5725d86ac46188bd038b45a1.jpg]
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.

Would you belief that that's a claim with a long enough history that even Christians as far back as the second century AD have actually explicitly named it as heresy? It's called the Serpent Seed doctrine, and claims that Cain was the offspring of Eve and the Serpent. It's an interesting image, but it doesn't hold up under the slightest scrutiny.

And, with regards to Huggy's requests for Bible verses related to abortion, here are a few:
  • Ex. 21:22-3. " If men contend with each other, and a pregnant woman [interfering] is hurt so that she has a miscarriage, yet no further damage follows, [the one who hurt her] shall surely be punished with a fine [paid] to the woman’s husband, as much as the judges determine. But if any damage follows, then you shall give life for life." Barely a chapter after the Ten commandments, and it's clear God doesn't consider the killing of a fetus the same as murder.
  • Num. 3:15-6: "Number the sons of Levi by their fathers’ houses and by families. Every male from a month old and upward you shall number. So Moses numbered them as he was commanded by the word of the Lord." Even infants who haven't been ex utero for over a month do not matter enough even for the purposes of a census.
  • Num. 5:21-8: "Then the priest shall make the woman take the oath of the curse, and say to the woman, The Lord make you a curse and an oath among your people when the Lord makes your thigh fall away and your body swell.May this water that brings the curse go into your bowels and make your body swell and your thigh fall away. And the woman shall say, So let it be, so let it be.The priest shall then write these curses in a book and shall wash them off into the water of bitterness;And he shall cause the woman to drink the water of bitterness that brings the curse, and the water that brings the curse shall enter into her [to try her] bitterly. Then the priest shall take the cereal offering of jealousy and suspicion out of the woman’s hand and shall wave the offering before the Lord and offer it upon the altar.And the priest shall take a handful of the cereal offering as the memorial portion of it and burn it on the altar, and afterward shall cause the woman to drink the water.And when he has made her drink the water, then if she is defiled and has committed a trespass against her husband, the curse water which she drank shall be bitterness and cause her body to swell and her thigh to fall away, and the woman shall be a curse among her people. But if the woman is not defiled and is clean, then she shall be free [from the curse] and be able to have children." God is willing to perform abortions himself, and on unwilling women.
And this isn't counting the numerous verses explicitly stating pregnant women are acceptable collateral damage for wars or executions (e.g. Gen. 38:24, Num. 31:15-7, Hos. 9:14-6, 13:16)
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "You, atheists take Bible quotes out of context" mcolafson 61 11961 October 4, 2016 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The ONLY excuse good enough for God? ronedee 99 9561 June 1, 2015 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Chas