Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
"You, atheists take Bible quotes out of context"
"You, atheists take Bible quotes out of context"
Christian, "You take this Bible quote out of context. That's why you get different meaning and an absolutely wrong one. And you, atheists always take quotes out of context. That's why you are always wrong. And we are always right because we look at the quotes and passages in context. God's word is infallible. You just have to look in context."

I suppose I should add something to this post, but I am going to a date with a Russian beauty (thanks God there are Russian women!)
RE: "You, atheists take Bible quotes out of context"
(October 2, 2016 at 6:35 am)mcolafson Wrote: Christian, "You take this Bible quote out of context. That's why you get different meaning and an absolutely wrong one. And you, atheists always take quotes out of context. That's why you are always wrong. And we are always right because we look at the quotes and passages in context. God's word is infallible. You just have to look in context."

I suppose I should add something to this post, but I am going to a date with a Russian beauty (thanks God there are Russian women!)

This has always struck me as a particularly lame criticism, as they always tell us that the quote is out of context but always fail to tell us what the correct context actually is. They seem to have pronounced difficulty with 2 Thessalonians 2:11. Daft buggers.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Kinda tough to fuck up the context when you have verses prohibiting menstruating women from churchy time.

And when's the last time a christer church showed a female pew warmer on the rag the door ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Sure, sure. Some verses have context issues. I don't know how anyone can use the context excuse for verses like 1 Peter 2:18 or any of the other verses commanding slavery, though. The context is pretty clear there.

Quote:Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Have they read the OT? Sometimes the verses are worse with context.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
And how does 'context' work when, for instance, Jesus prohibits something like remarriage following divorce, and all the Christers do it/tolerate it any how ??

How the fuck does 'context' permit adultery ???
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Isaiah 45:7 (KJV) is my personal favorite. - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."

Oh right....the word 'evil' has been changed in further editions of the OT due to translation issues; or the word is taken out of context by us Atheists. We think it refers to moral evil, but it doesn't. It really refers to calamity and disaster...by a deity that loves to kill.
“Life is like a grapefruit. Well, it's sort of orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast.”  - Ford Prefect
How can a book of lies, myths, and contradictions pieced together by warring and opposing peoples over centuries have a context to begin with? The bible is like the car Johnny Cash sings about in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb9F2DT8iEQ
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(October 2, 2016 at 10:39 am)Jesster Wrote: Sure, sure. Some verses have context issues. I don't know how anyone can use the context excuse for verses like 1 Peter 2:18 or any of the other verses commanding slavery, though. The context is pretty clear there.

Quote:Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

That is a great example of out of context.... because it is in no way commanding slavery. Actually; on second thought context is not necessary.... it just doesn't say what you say it does.
(October 2, 2016 at 6:35 am)mcolafson Wrote: Christian, "You take this Bible quote out of context. That's why you get different meaning and an absolutely wrong one. And you, atheists always take quotes out of context. That's why you are always wrong. And we are always right because we look at the quotes and passages in context. God's word is infallible. You just have to look in context."

Try this:

Quote:King James Bible

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Ps. 137:9

Invite them to put that into any "context" they like and show you how good their fucking god is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44047 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Question to theists: When to take the bible literally? T.J. 22 1829 November 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why I can't take the Gospels seriously. Jehanne 39 3634 June 18, 2021 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
Question What would it take? Bow Before Zeus 65 9132 December 15, 2017 at 9:49 am
Last Post: Drich
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3335 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Is it possible for someone to take away the judgement from God? verbral 31 4206 November 12, 2016 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The "Cultural Context" Excuse LadyForCamus 495 45433 November 2, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18233 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What It Would Take: Or Bullocks To Christianity! Manalive 10 2737 August 21, 2015 at 4:07 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  By all means, please take Christianity seriously Cato 13 3758 June 6, 2015 at 1:55 am
Last Post: Spooky