Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 9, 2024, 2:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If free will was not real
RE: If free will was not real
(August 20, 2016 at 3:58 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(August 20, 2016 at 3:58 pm)RozKek Wrote: "If it prevents them from murdering someone again". Isn't that what I said? If rehabilitation isn't possible, then I'd agree with lifetime prison, that's what I said.

Yes so we're agreeing Smile

We are. Want to freely go and buy our totally freely picked ice cream flavor?
(August 20, 2016 at 3:46 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Then I'm pretty fucking sexy.

Oooh cocky. I like that in an evil turtle.

Quote:Don't worry I won't ban you. I won't ban you so hard. At all. Vigorously. A lot. In my turtle mind. Slow and deep.

I have to bite my arm now. Leaving teeth marks. That's what you made me do, with your turtle mind.

Quote:You know I love that you cheeky flirty brat.

Our conversation should be required reading in Philosophy 101...LOL

Quote:Stop squirming.

I say that to make you squirm. I know it works.

Um...I'm not squirming right now. You really didn't make me actually squirm. Like, I'm not sitting over here in my chair, right now, squirming with thoughts of bad turtles in my mind. Really.

Quote:Involving sweat and vodka.

Essential components in the philosophy of free will. You newcomers to the discussion, take note!

Quote:Stop telling me what I already know and get to work on doing something about that redacted of yours Angel

Okay. And when I do, I'll work so hard at it. So, so hard. Angel
A Gemma is forever.
I would freely go and buy a turtley freely picked ice cream flavor but I don't have the freedom to desire to freely buy a turtley freely picked ice cream flavor right now because I'm suffering from laziness disease.
(August 20, 2016 at 3:56 pm)RozKek Wrote: Contra-causal free will? Never heard of it before.

This is what I got from a source about what contra-causal free will is.

"Most people feel that if choices A and B are available, and nobody is forcing them to take one or the other, they can use their free will to pick one in a way that is reasoned and yet somehow floats above causality. This is what I called contra-causal free will in  to the last post, and this is the sort of free will I contend cannot exist:"

How, exactly are you shredding contra-causal free will? Isn't that what I'm arguing against? If you're shredding contra-causal free will, then I think we're on the same side?

Yeah, we're on the same side, as far as how the universe works. Nothing floats above causality.
A Gemma is forever.
(August 20, 2016 at 4:08 pm)Gemini Wrote: Oooh cocky. I like that in an evil turtle.

Don't I know it.

Quote:I have to bite my arm now. Leaving teeth marks. That's what you made me do, with your turtle mind.

Biting without permission, tsk tsk. Frisky.

Quote:Our conversation should be required reading in Philosophy 101...LOL

It absolutely and turtley should. How'd ya get to be so right huh?

Quote:Um...I'm not squirming right now. You really didn't make me actually squirm. Like, I'm not sitting over here in my chair, right now, squirming with thoughts of bad turtles in my mind. Really.

Oh turtley turtley not. Turtley.

Quote:Essential components in the philosophy of free will. You newcomers to the discussion, take note!

Flirtly turtleyness is page 73 of Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel. Turtley.

Quote:Okay. And when I do, I'll work so hard at it. So, so hard.  Angel

You bet you will you teasing phenomenological teasey teaser.
(August 20, 2016 at 4:08 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: I would freely go and buy a turtley freely picked ice cream flavor but I don't have the freedom to desire to freely buy a turtley freely picked ice cream flavor right now because I'm suffering from laziness disease.

But no one is holding a gun to your head, you're a free turtle, free! Now get your ass up and get a turtley free picked ice cream flavor.
By lazy balls are my proverbial gun for the purpose of this conversation.

Well, the rooster attached to it is. Turtley. Mayo mayo mayoooooooooo.
(August 20, 2016 at 4:13 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Flirtly turtleyness is page 73 of Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel. Turtley.

*Nods sagely*

Help me understand Kant, Hammy. His philosophy is so hard. So, so very hard. It's so hard I can't stand it. I need you to help me comprehend it, oh turtley one.

Quote:You bet you will you teasing phenomenological teasey teaser.

I'm not teasing, honest. I'm experiencing the phenomenology of being a participant in an important philosophical argument. Entailing that my intellectual faculties are aroused.

What if there's a possible world in which I got ravaged by a turtle? Would that be a constraint on my autonomy? This is serious question. Of modal logic and the metaphysics of causality. My intellectual curiosity demands a resolution to this frustration.
A Gemma is forever.
(August 20, 2016 at 4:13 pm)Gemini Wrote:
(August 20, 2016 at 3:56 pm)RozKek Wrote: Contra-causal free will? Never heard of it before.

This is what I got from a source about what contra-causal free will is.

"Most people feel that if choices A and B are available, and nobody is forcing them to take one or the other, they can use their free will to pick one in a way that is reasoned and yet somehow floats above causality. This is what I called contra-causal free will in  to the last post, and this is the sort of free will I contend cannot exist:"

How, exactly are you shredding contra-causal free will? Isn't that what I'm arguing against? If you're shredding contra-causal free will, then I think we're on the same side?

Yeah, we're on the same side, as far as how the universe works. Nothing floats above causality.

Well then... why are we arguing? Let's go for some vanilla ice cream picked out of my totally free Will! 

What the fuck are you doing Will? No wonder you were free, go back into the fucking basement or it will be 10 whips.
(August 20, 2016 at 4:35 pm)Gemini Wrote: Help me understand Kant, Hammy. His philosophy is so hard. So, so very hard. It's so hard I can't stand it. I need you to help me comprehend it, oh turtley one.

Damn.

I would... but I'd have to read some Kant first!

I'm too lazy and silly!

Told ya I'm pretentious Tongue It was a perfectly reasonable assumption to assume I'd read Kant based on me knowing the title of one of his books... but nope, I haven't read any I'm just pretentious. Hey I technically have told no lies Angel

Quote:I'm not teasing, honest. I'm experiencing the phenomenology of being a participant in an important philosophical argument. Entailing that my intellectual faculties are aroused.

*nods sagely*

Quote:What if there's a possible world in which I got ravaged by a turtle? Would that be a constraint on my autonomy? This is serious question. Of modal logic and the metaphysics of causality. My intellectual curiosity demands a resolution to this frustration.

Well possibly there is a possible world where you got ravaged by the turtle.

I'll have a a good hard think about it later. It's how the jars get filled.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hypothetically, science proves free will isn't real henryp 95 14389 July 12, 2016 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If Hell is Not Real Rayaan 36 17076 March 20, 2011 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: OnlyNatural