Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 6:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question?
RE: Question?
(August 21, 2016 at 2:41 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: And you take the account of God in the bible to be the beginning and end of Man's experience with the eternal God?

That's the biggest cherry picked strawman around.

The original, older and far longer lasting idea's of God were of infinite formless substance and raw force.

Worship is a practice, an action.  The in the action of lighting my way with a torch in the darkness, I "worship" the flame (I keep it tended with fuel/material and away from water). I also fear the flame, keeping it away from my body and flammable material. Respectful action based on the knowledge of it's nature.

I'm not sure you know what cherry picking, or what strawmen are.  Because none of what I did was strawmaning or cherry picking.

The Question in the opening post was "If you discovered personally acceptable truth (whatever that may be for you) that the Christian God revealed in the bible was authentic, would you choose to serve and worship him?" 

You're moving the goal posts by changing the definition of God to suit your own goal.  But even that said, I still wouldn't worship your idea of God (even if it were proven to me).  In fact I would hold it in little regard, and give it absolutely no thought.  Because I've given little to no thought to any of these gods for the past several years, and have done just fine.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(August 21, 2016 at 3:05 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Read again, troll. Have your pet god call me. Only then can we talk.
It's inevitable. You will find God in life, or in death. Until then, enjoy your self while it lasts! Cheers!
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Hey Ark....you should give me your money today, because you're going to meet -my- cosmic superfairy, if not tommorrow, then when you die.  Let me tell you, he doesn't look kindly upon you, a charitable donation to me would go a long way towards repairing your broken soul.

Why are you staring so incredulously at the screen......?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 21, 2016 at 3:07 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(August 21, 2016 at 3:05 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Read again, troll. Have your pet god call me. Only then can we talk.
It's inevitable. You will find God in life, or in death.  Until then, enjoy your self while it lasts! Cheers!

Xtian cliché #32, with a dash of #41 for flavour.

STIMBO used HITCHENS' RAZOR.

[Image: Uw5sFyh.png]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 21, 2016 at 3:12 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Hey Ark....you should give me your money today, because you're going to meet -my- cosmic superfairy, if not tommorrow, then when you die.  Let me tell you, he doesn't look kindly upon you, a charitable donation to me would go a long way towards repairing your broken soul.

I will meet my maker with a joyous sound in my soul because I have sought and found Him while alive.

My money will go to my wife and child if I fall out of a tree or a tree falls on me. I am an arborist (tree climber/trimmer) by trade, the most hazardous job in the world. I dance with imminent death for several hours, almost everyday. I have also had a volitional NDE where I had time-space and choice to completely leave the planet or return to my body. Obviously I chose to stay.

You aren't swimming in shallow waters. My confidence of belief is not based on any cultural mythos nor "sacred text". I have wrestled these things out for myself.
That's nice, but I'm not talking about your middleman of a "maker".  My boy is the real deal.  Just remember, you're aware of it now...and so ignorance is no excuse.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 21, 2016 at 3:22 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(August 21, 2016 at 3:07 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: It's inevitable. You will find God in life, or in death.  Until then, enjoy your self while it lasts! Cheers!

Xtian cliché #32, with a dash of #41 for flavour.

STIMBO used HITCHENS' RAZOR.

[Image: Uw5sFyh.png]

Here is the situation: You are in a body that filters perception, when you die, you no longer have that filter and are now more subject to the raw forces of the universe than you were before. If there is a God, you will definitely meet such a being after death.

Here's the truth of "too late". You are on a trip, you are in an airplane. Only you know it's not going to land safely on land, it's going to crash into the ocean. You can either prepare to deal with having to swim or ignore the fact you will no longer be sitting comfy in the air.

You ARE going to die, you WILL be in a different medium (exposed to forces that your body currently shields you from), you can either prepare to navigate that medium, or be unpleasantly surprised by having no preparation what so ever.

In fact, if you have prepared to not be in the water (no belief in the afterlife, no prep) and have collected a bunch of heavy shit while alive....it's going to be even more unpleasant.

It's not God punishing you, it's God allowing you to suffer the consequences of your own choices/actions so that you may learn and grow by self motivation. Like a good parent.
(August 21, 2016 at 3:30 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(August 21, 2016 at 3:12 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Hey Ark....you should give me your money today, because you're going to meet -my- cosmic superfairy, if not tommorrow, then when you die.  Let me tell you, he doesn't look kindly upon you, a charitable donation to me would go a long way towards repairing your broken soul.

I will meet my maker with a joyous sound in my soul because I have sought and found Him while alive.

My money will go to my wife and child if I fall out of a tree or a tree falls on me.  I am an arborist (tree climber/trimmer) by trade, the most hazardous job in the world. I dance with imminent death for several hours, almost everyday.  I have also had a volitional NDE where I had time-space and choice to completely leave the planet or return to my body. Obviously I chose to stay.

You aren't swimming in shallow waters.  My confidence of belief is not based on any cultural mythos nor "sacred text". I have wrestled these things out for myself.

So you really are tripping on drugs? What a surprise.
(August 21, 2016 at 3:34 pm)Rhythm Wrote: That's nice, but I'm not talking about your middleman of a "maker".  My boy is the real deal.  Just remember, you're aware of it now...and so ignorance is no excuse.

There is only one Maker, the extant infinite God before the cavitation of a universe.

Your posturing has no traction here.

(August 21, 2016 at 3:40 pm)RozKek Wrote:
(August 21, 2016 at 3:30 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: I will meet my maker with a joyous sound in my soul because I have sought and found Him while alive.

My money will go to my wife and child if I fall out of a tree or a tree falls on me.  I am an arborist (tree climber/trimmer) by trade, the most hazardous job in the world. I dance with imminent death for several hours, almost everyday.  I have also had a volitional NDE where I had time-space and choice to completely leave the planet or return to my body. Obviously I chose to stay.

You aren't swimming in shallow waters.  My confidence of belief is not based on any cultural mythos nor "sacred text". I have wrestled these things out for myself.

So you really are tripping on drugs? What a surprise.

All you have left is appeal to ridicule? What a non-surprise.
(August 21, 2016 at 3:40 pm)RozKek Wrote: So you really are tripping on drugs? What a surprise.

A friend of mine starter her own religion based on revelations she received while high.  TBH it's better than most religions I've seen.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton