Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 2:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Simple Life Lessons Game.
RE: The Simple Life Lessons Game.
(November 21, 2016 at 1:14 am)operator Wrote:
(November 20, 2016 at 9:53 pm)Astreja Wrote: If you have a dream, don't expect other people to facilitate it -- and if someone expects you to drop everything to work on his dream, run like hell.
This.

The nice people in your life will tell you, "Oh that sounds great" the more compassionate ones will say "Wow good for you good luck!" The people who really love may even help you achieve your dream but very few will fully support you and believe in you.

There's also a dark side to personal attainment, which I think is driven by envy and resentment.  There are people who:
  • Say that they're on board with your plan, but insinuate little negative comments here and there that undermine your resolve -- or blindside you with a harsh comment just as you're making progress.
  • Get upset when you actually spend time working towards a goal, instead of wallowing in the Swamp of Complacency with them.
  • Outright sabotage you by wasting resources that you could have used.
I experienced much of this with an ex.  I made the mistake of helping him finance a business, which tanked because he didn't have a clear vision and kept farting around with the way he did things.  When I lay awake at night, trying to figure out how to make loan payments, he told Me not to worry about it.  When I got sick and tired of not getting anywhere in life I got a Business Admin degree part-time in the evenings and then went on to get some computer certifications.  He resented those successes, so I got a bottle of bubbly to celebrate getting that elusive MCSE (thereby guaranteeing a job opportunity with a hefty pay raise) and drank it by Myself, grinning like a Cheshire cat all the while.  I later kicked the bum to the curb with Extreme Prejudice.

And then things got really interesting.  After evicting Whatsisname from My life I went out and did a whole slew of things that I had always wanted to do, including getting a driver's license and taking lessons in just about anything I found interesting -- Violin, clarinet, sax, tap dancing, Shotokan karate, Irish Gaelic, Pilates, and now Icelandic.  Life is good (pats professional-grade B flat clarinet, bought for cash a couple of years ago).
That's because living well is the best revenge. Smile

When you don't know what to do, do nothing.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

If you know that you can't be productive in a given situation, then if possible, take a break and go to the balcony where you can get a better perspective on things.

(November 23, 2016 at 7:05 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: If you know that you can't be productive in a given situation...

... I'd end this "shut the f*** up" lmao, that's just me though

Life-lesson from me (I think this has already been said but it's true) the only person you can depend on is yourself. You have to make good things happen, you can't wait for good things to be brought to you on a silver platter.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Never assume a fart will be silent.
Sometimes, an individual who you might not like, may propose an excellent idea, but it is dismissed because we associated it with the proposer.  On the same token, someone that we are fond of may propose a horrible idea, but we find ourselves going along with it for similar reasons.  More importantly, we can find ourselves drawing all sorts of conclusions based on the people rather than the actual merits of the ideas being expressed.  
Hence, do your best to separate the people from the ideas, which allows us to filter the ideas accordingly, draw more objective conclusions, and if possible, find effective ways to put a great idea into practice.

I agree.

A life lesson I have learned is that regret is pointless unless it encourages you to do better in the future.

Another is: How we remember the quality of our experiences is not the same as how they were. Our memories work like stories... we remember how things end... and yet it's not true that all is well that ends well. But, thankfully, it's not true that all that's ill ends ill either. An experience can end well but not be worth it because the experience up until that point was so awful... but, fortunately it's also the case that an experience can end horribly and yet still be worth it because the journey was amazing.

It's impossible to retroactively ruin an intrinsically good past experience after the fact. No matter how bad you remember it and how you feel it was "spoiled" or "ruined".... if it felt good at the time it felt good at the time.

Also, ambition is in the eye of the beholder.
(November 27, 2016 at 1:40 pm)Kernel Sohcahtoa Wrote: Sometimes, an individual who you might not like, may propose an excellent idea, but it is dismissed because we associated it with the proposer.  On the same token, someone that we are fond of may propose a horrible idea, but we find ourselves going along with it for similar reasons.  More importantly, we can find ourselves drawing all sorts of conclusions based on the people rather than the actual merits of the ideas being expressed.  
Hence, do your best to separate the people from the ideas, which allows us to filter the ideas accordingly, draw more objective conclusions, and if possible, find effective ways to put a great idea into practice.

You seem like a good guy ... I'll buy this. Big Grin

(November 24, 2016 at 3:53 pm)Little lunch Wrote: Never assume a fart will be silent.

And when it is silent, it will smell.

I've noticed it is always one or the other, you'll either hear it or smell it, but never both and never neither.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 9 2306 April 23, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Simple and Cheap Winter Recipes Quid 11 3539 December 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: festive1