Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 5, 2024, 1:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryan Dunn from Jackass died today at age 34
RE: Ryan Dunn from Jackass died today at age 34
To me, it is kind of like suicide. It is his fault, but it is still sad. As for the passenger, he knew whether Dunn was drunk or not and had to have known that he drove too fast, too often. He made a conscious decision as well. Sad all around.
(June 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm)Shell B Wrote: The BAC will not be back for four to six weeks. I don't know where people (and "legitimate" news sites) get this shit.

It doesn't take that long to determine BAC. Maybe a full autopsy or bloodwork, but not just BAC.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(June 24, 2011 at 9:37 am)Jaysyn Wrote:
(June 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm)Shell B Wrote: The BAC will not be back for four to six weeks. I don't know where people (and "legitimate" news sites) get this shit.

It doesn't take that long to determine BAC. Maybe a full autopsy or bloodwork, but not just BAC.

That was what the coroner was saying. Apparently, that changed.
I hate to think that we get so callous when it comes to the death of people who acted irresponsibly. Dunno, it could just be me, but I still feel bad that he died. Death sucks for young people.

Some years ago, I attended the funeral of a student of mine. He had been playing in traffic with his brother and friends, and he was hit by a van and dragged to his death. That may have been the saddest funeral I have ever attended. Sure, he died because he was acting irresponsibly, but that didn't stop me from wishing I could make it better. He was such a bright kid, mischievous, full of life. Now, he's in a hole in the ground. He was fifteen.
Trying to update my sig ...
(June 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm)Epimethean Wrote: I hate to think that we get so callous when it comes to the death of people who acted irresponsibly. Dunno, it could just be me, but I still feel bad that he died. Death sucks for young people.

Some years ago, I attended the funeral of a student of mine. He had been playing in traffic with his brother and friends, and he was hit by a van and dragged to his death. That may have been the saddest funeral I have ever attended. Sure, he died because he was acting irresponsibly, but that didn't stop me from wishing I could make it better. He was such a bright kid, mischievous, full of life. Now, he's in a hole in the ground. He was fifteen.

It's not that I am callous about his death. Yes, he was young, but as a 34 year old he knew the consequences of acting so irresponsibly. A fifteen year old is much less able to make competent decisions than a 34 year old, and it's sad that one stupid decision can cause a young person his life. Sure, it's sad that Ryan Dunn died at such a young age, I'm just not all torn up about it like I would be if he had died of something he had no control over like cancer.

Plus, his actions did not only endanger himself, but also anyone else on that road. I am just thankful that his careless recklessness did not injure or kill anyone who didn't make a conscious decision to get in that car. Remember, if he had survived this, he would be put in prison for a long time for his disregard for his passenger's life.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Islamic Golden Age WinterHold 8 995 April 30, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Borowitz Today Minimalist 8 1879 December 2, 2017 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Charles Manson, dead at age 83 Aroura 51 7309 November 22, 2017 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Age of Oblivion - my (hopefully) first full novel. Iroscato 15 2931 August 13, 2015 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Ooooh dear, here's a letter to the editor in my newspaper today LarissaAnn 5 1184 August 23, 2014 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The Lord is not on Trial Here Today pineapplebunnybounce 4 1510 November 30, 2013 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: freedomfromforum
  ...the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow... Autumnlicious 0 1310 October 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  The Golden Age of Video. Creed of Heresy 0 1140 September 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  I ordered mine today! Get yours now! Dotard 2 1377 January 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13