Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 7:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tooth Fairy Bullshit
RE: Tooth Fairy Bullshit
(January 13, 2017 at 11:19 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(January 12, 2017 at 10:10 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: Christians were not the first to abolish slavery, The Secular French Republic did.

I think it goes back much further, at least to the Spanish monarchs. It was a major issue in the 1600's between Spanish and Portuguese colonies in the New World.
Both the Spanish and Portuguese were dealing in slaves well into the 19th century.
1873 for the Spanish
1890 for the Portuguese
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
But maybe they were talking about it.  You know how religitards love to yammer on about stuff without actually doing anything.
(January 13, 2017 at 1:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: But maybe they were talking about it.  You know how religitards love to yammer on about stuff without actually doing anything.

Not to mention profiting from it...
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
And yes universities in the ancient world were comparable to universities ( and yes they were proper  centers of advanced learning )of the middle ages (infact likely better) as were hospitals so Neo excuses  need to stop Christianity has done nothing unique
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

I note the basic tenets of Tooth Fairy-ism (kid loses tooth, puts under pillow at bedtime, wakes up to financial gain) have been remarkably resistant to revision.

Seems like the Christians might learn something there . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

When you're an adult you realise that you actually put a spiritual tooth under the pillow, and you receive spiritual money.

YOU CAN'T PROVE ME WRONG

Now it's ready to be a religion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 12, 2017 at 11:16 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Those who compare God to the tooth fairy are douchebags. I’m sorry but that is truly how I feel. Without even an ounce of shame they ridicule some of the best and brightest thinkers who take up a problem serious and came to serious conclusion. Kierkegaard, Hegel, Kant, Buber, Kripke, Plantinga, Newton, Leibnitz, Putman, and Godel are/were theists. That list doesn’t even include theologians, like David Bentley Hart, or physicists, like, Francis Collins or Max Planck. All brilliant.

Maybe you don’t realize this but it is possible to be an atheist without acting like an infantile little snark. It’s astonishing to me how such ass-wipes will disrespect the legacies of truly great men and women like Dr. King, Bonhoeffer, and Catherine Booth (founder of the Salvation Army) by pretending that their religious convictions did nothing to motivate and inspire them to change the world.

How can anyone seriously believe that the motivating force to build the very first hospitals is in any way comparable to believing in the tooth fairy or Santa Claus? Here in Chicago we have Mount Siani, Rush Presbyterian, Illinois Masonic, Loyola, Mercy, Saints Mary and Elizabeth, Saint Anthony...that’s just a start. They came to be because of religious convictions for which you have no respect.

As if a lie that produced a small percentage of consequences that can be said to be positive, and that only if viewed in blindered isolation, becomes somehow less of a lie.  What a wishthinking moron.

I am glad to be spared of the unbearable humiliation of being thought well of by moronic wishthinking pueril douchbags like you.
(January 12, 2017 at 11:16 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Maybe you don’t realize this but it is possible to be an atheist without acting like an infantile little snark.

The finest thinkers in the world make mistakes all the time ... Einstein with his constant, many 19th century physicists with phlogiston theory, Newton with his alchemy and whackadoodle faith ... and that's fine. It doesn't undermine their body of work, even as their body of work doesn't impart upon them infallibility.

Have you ever wondered why we don't respect your beliefs?Your beliefs are not entitled to any respect that they don't merit, and let's face it: you believe that an omnimax god who loves us and is perfectly just and merciful set up the rules of the game such that the human nature he gave us dooms us to eternal suffering unless we accept his scapegoating sacrifice of himself in the form of an avatar.

Tell me why any of that fucking claptrap is any more respectable than the Tooth Fairy, and I'll perhaps give your whining a little credence. Until then, you look like a sniveling kid unable to understand why someone else doesn't jack off to your little fantasy.

Your post is a combination of appeal to authority, appeal to consequences, and just a *touch* of being a hypersensitive twatwaffle.

Actually, Christians didn't come up with the first hospitals. They improved on some of the ideas, but only after the Indians came up with their own hospitals. And the greeks, and Egyptians....
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(January 13, 2017 at 1:01 pm)Mr Greene Wrote:
(January 13, 2017 at 11:19 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: I think it goes back much further, at least to the Spanish monarchs. It was a major issue in the 1600's between Spanish and Portuguese colonies in the New World.
Both the Spanish and Portuguese were dealing in slaves well into the 19th century.
1873 for the Spanish
1890 for the Portuguese

Bold mine. Sources please, it seems it never really happened.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 2087 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How to argue using bullshit abstract terms I_am_not_mafia 23 6164 March 20, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Old Style Evie/Why "gods" are bullshit. Edwardo Piet 52 11025 January 14, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4730 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The Golden Rule ? Sense or Bullshit? Magnum 92 36253 July 26, 2013 at 11:41 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Evolution is a fairy tale, the peanut butter says so. The Heff 30 10304 June 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Penn and Teller Bullshit: The Bible Gooders1002 0 1891 May 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Penn and Teller Bullshit: The Vatican LarissaAnn 2 1610 December 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Crowd sourcing bullshit control Ziploc Surprise 4 1957 October 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Santa, The Tooth Fairy and the Fantabulous Fabularium of Innocent Myths ElDinero 18 3584 October 20, 2011 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Diamond