Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood
Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...ar-society

So it's atheism's fault that you're Billy no mates John Harris? Yeah go fuck yourself and stop tarring me and others like me with your own personal failings.

Now that I've gotten the worst of my anger at the stupidity out of my system, lets look at some pertinent points:

Quote:the chance of any shared reflection on the last year’s events still seems slim. Secularised societies do not really work like that.

No John, it's not secular society that does that, it's a society which prioritises sensationalism and instant reaction over thoughtfulness, introspection and interrogation. The kind of society you with your "journalism" are busy enabling.

Religion does not do reflection, like you are trying to imply. Do you know why? Because if more religious people were reflective of their own religion they'd be turning away from it. Religion is a system of control, in both thought and action, people who take time to think destroy that control.

Quote:Across 95 countries, Googling the word “prayer” increased by 50%,

Firstly taking figures from a lying scandal rag like the Torygraph is not good journalism. Secondly even the scandal rag itself has to admit that this increase is confined to poorer countries with authoritarian controls and where religion works hand in glove with (often dictatorial) governments to keep their citizens fearful and ignorant. When all you're taught is "only god will save you." you're damned right you're going to start praying to god when things go wrong. It's a natural result of ignorance.

Quote:In March 2020, a service led from his kitchen table by the Archbishop of Canterbury drew 5 million viewers, described by the Church of England as the largest congregation in its history

Were these five million confined to the UK? No. How many were bots? We don't know. How many were inflated numbers by members of anglican religious orders world wide told to watch the service? We don't know. How many simply tuned in for a few minutes and then scarpered off because it was boring? We don't know (but going on the way viewership figures are counted online I wouldn't be surprised if it was a significant number).

Frankly, for an internet broadcast world wide to a religious denomination by the head of said denomination, getting five million views out of a potential 85 million adherents is not a good look. The pope probably gets that many for a normal Sunday mass.

Quote:We talked about how the Covid-19 era compares to the Black Death of the 14th century, and the ways that societies and communities collectively responded to the latter – from the “fraternities” in Italian cities dedicated to caring for and burying the dead to the processions in English towns and cities staged as both massed acts of penitence and a way of supposedly warding off the plague.

You were talking to the wrong historian John. Any serious medieval historian will tell you that society basicly broke down during the first outbreak of the plague, and took a long time to restructure itself. It is clear in the records that this happened. And one of the biggest effects of the bubonic plague was the loss of faith among many people, it was the first time christianity faced a mass disaster among its whole community, and it's favoured solution "Jesus Harder!" failed utterly.

Quote:Today, a mixture of individualism and collective denial leaves many of us without the ideas or language to conceive of Covid like that.

Yes John the conservative ideals of "fuck you, I got mine" have failed us. Do you know what types of organisation are heavily involved in conservative movements. Religions! Ascribing to atheism the failings of other ideologies is a dishonest and mendacious thing to do. But then again, John, that's the core of your "journalism".

Quote:Long before Covid’s arrival, it was clear this was something too many people were losing touch with. Through decades of secularisation, cheered on by irreligious liberals, not nearly enough thought was ever given to what might take on the social roles of a church.

Yes John, atheism was never interested in maintaining a culture of child rape, keeping poor people down through the lie of "jam tomorrow" or in supporting and giving moral cover to genocidal movements and governments. Because the vast majority of us recognise that those things, the core of religion's messages, are evil in any context.

Sorry about the rant, but I really hate these "I'm an atheist, but christianity, it's the best!" articles the Grauniad loves printing by journalists like John Harris who have no investigative skills nor the intelligence required to understand that what they do write is useless filler.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
RE: Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood
Those so-called atheists are merely forsaking reason for a delusional comfort.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood
I think the author might need some cheese.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 28, 2021 at 10:20 am)brewer Wrote: I think the author might need some cheese.

What kind?
(March 28, 2021 at 10:23 am)Eleven Wrote:
(March 28, 2021 at 10:20 am)brewer Wrote: I think the author might need some cheese.

What kind?

The one that goes with whine.

You might need the kind that floats.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Never heard of this bloke, but he’s clearly not an atheist. Not a full-blown believer, either, but not an atheist.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The whole "... and I was an atheist." Sthick is getting old, and fast.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
So the first thing this guy says:

Quote:Many of us yearn for meaning. But in our individualistic, secular society we lack even the flimsiest of narratives to guide us

Yeah. The problem there is not secular society. The problem is thinking we "lack" narratives to guide us. Seeking guidance from societal narratives is a BAD thing.

Seek guidance from people you know, people who know your situation, and care about you. Seek guidance from the great intellectual minds (ancient and modern) who have done some thinking about life and have shared valuable wisdom. But never seek guidance from societal narratives. That's my policy anyway.

The cool thing about secularized societies is that we don't have some narrative jammed down our throats. Flimsy narratives are much preferred to substantial ones.

I think the author does some okay critiquing of "individualistic" society. And I think he's yearning for a greater sense of community-- which is fine. But I think he conflates things a bit. What does this really have to do with secularism?

Quote:Three years ago, Anthony Costello – a former director of maternal and child health at the World Health Organization – published a book titled The Social Edge, focused on the so-called “sympathy groups” that sit between the state and the individual. “Religious or therapy groups have always offered solace and peace and relaxation and friendship,” he wrote. “They help us in our spiritual quest for meaning and wellbeing.” Church groups, choirs, sport and dance clubs, he went on, “bring harmony and relaxation to tired minds” and give people “a greater sense of being alive”.

People have found community in churches? Sure. They always have. But atheists can go to Quaker meetings or Unitarian Churches, sing songs with people, experience fellowship etc. with people who are by-and-large nonbelievers. Just gotta get up Sunday morning and go.

I don't really see how secular society is to blame for exacerbating feelings of isolation brought about by Covid. Covid obstructed our everyday social intercourse, and has left some of us feeling super lonely. If the author yearns for meaning, he should be grateful he has the freedom to seek it himself. Difficult as it might be to find one's own meaning... the fruits of such a labor are far better than one obtains from having meaning handed to you by religious society or social forces in general.
(March 28, 2021 at 1:50 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: The cool thing about secularized societies is that we don't have some narrative jammed down our throats. Flimsy narratives are much preferred to substantial ones.

I do think there are a number of secular narratives that are widespread. Whether we should consider these "jammed down our throats," or "substantial" I'm not sure.

One popular narrative is that the current of history moves toward a less religious society, with the superstition of religion dropping away to reveal scientific truth.

In the US of course there's the whole narrative about America being a progressive force for good in the world. 

And a common one is that as tech gets better the world is improved. 

The truth of each of these is debatable. What's important I think is that these narratives are accepted as fact by many people.
(March 28, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(March 28, 2021 at 1:50 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: The cool thing about secularized societies is that we don't have some narrative jammed down our throats. Flimsy narratives are much preferred to substantial ones.

(March 28, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Belacqua Wrote: I do think there are a number of secular narratives that are widespread.
Really? name them. Describe them.

(March 28, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Belacqua Wrote: Whether we should consider these "jammed down our throats," or "substantial" I'm not sure.
Well, if you regard facts as being stuffing reality down your throat, go ahead. Reality doesn't care and simply keeps on being reality regardless of your personal preferences, whatever those might be.

(March 28, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Belacqua Wrote: One popular narrative is that the current of history moves toward a less religious society,
That is not a narrative, that is history. I.E. that has and is observably happening as we speak
(March 28, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Belacqua Wrote: with the superstition of religion dropping away to reveal scientific truth.
That is not how science works. That is not how anything works.

(March 28, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Belacqua Wrote: In the US of course there's the whole narrative about America being a progressive force for good in the world. 
Wrong on so many levels.

(March 28, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Belacqua Wrote: And a common one is that as tech gets better the world is improved.
Life expectancy at the time of jebus? 30-40 at a stretch. Life expectancy today? 80-90. Why,  because "tech" has enabled that.

(March 28, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Belacqua Wrote: The truth of each of these is debatable.
BS. Are you really going to sit there and claim that the more than doubling of life expectancy is somehow NOT due to technology? Are you really going to claim that the smart phone or whatever device you happen to to use is weirdly not a result of technology? Well, off you go to your "get out of jail" taqtique. Tell us all what Plato, Aristotle, Aquinus and Augustine of Hippo had to say about smart phones.

(March 28, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Belacqua Wrote: What's important I think is that these narratives are accepted as fact by many people.
Wrong again. Those are not "accepted as facts". Those are facts. Or are you shaping up to make the claim that human life expectancy has not more than doubled because of science, but because of some imaginary increase in the lurv of jebus.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Argument Against Evil-lution no one 19 3486 January 5, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is religion a necessary evil? purplepurpose 35 5184 November 2, 2018 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  How to argue using bullshit abstract terms I_am_not_mafia 23 6062 March 20, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Pathos article atheists can identify with. Brian37 6 2193 September 19, 2017 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27108 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Good Wikipedia article on the History of Atheism. Jehanne 6 1641 April 5, 2017 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Why God is scientifically redefinable (an atheist article snippet) MadaraUchihuh 4 1400 March 10, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are humans Gods? (article by an atheist) ChoklateWolfy 21 3878 March 2, 2017 at 10:11 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4690 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Tooth Fairy Bullshit Neo-Scholastic 588 55812 January 26, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet